Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife received this message via e-mail today. Hopefully this kind of thing will eventually spread to all GM divisions.
Dear Saturn Vue Owner:

The unique Saturn ownership experience, as you well know, encompasses many aspects of your relationship with the vehicle, not the least of which is overall customer satisfaction.

To that end, we wanted to share some important information with you regarding the VUE. Saturn is going to announce a voluntary customer satisfaction recall for all VUE models-- and we want to let you know about it before you might see it on TV or read it in the paper.

First and most important is that this is not a federal safety recall; it is a voluntary action by Saturn. You can keep driving your VUE as you have been. The Vue meets or exceeds all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard - and has earned a Five Star Rating in the frontal and side crash categories established by NHTSA.

Here's some background information on the voluntary action:

The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) just started using what's known as a "fishhook" test that includes a sharp left turn at various speeds between 35 and 50 mph - followed by an even sharper over correction turn to the right.

The VUE did not roll over during the test; however, the rear suspension was bent by wheel contact with the payment, and that prevented the VUE from completing the test.

As a result, Saturn voluntarily decided to replace your rear suspension components at no cost to you - because we greatly appreciate your ownership and care that you have ultimate confidence in your VUE. We are currently securing the necessary parts and will be contacting you again once they become available.

In the meantime, please be assured your Saturn VUE meets or exceeds all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards, and you can keep driving the vehicle just as you have been.

You should be receiving a letter in the mail in the next few days. If you have further questions, our team at the Saturn Customer Assistance Center will be glad to help you. You can phone them at 1-800-972-8876.

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause, and want you to know that we will do our best to ensure your VUE provides you with many more miles of enjoyable and safe driving.

Sincerely,

Steve Saunders
Internet/Customer Support Manager

If you no longer wish to receive Service Coupons or Special Incentives Updates from Saturn of Frederick, Saturn of Gaithersburg, and Saturn of Silver Spring, please reply to this message with "No Contact" in the subject line and we will dutifully take you off our mailing list. Thank You.
OK, so they say the VUE just "prevented" itsself from "completing the test," which is really a half-truth. But c'mon, are they going to come right out and say the wheel folded under and created a self-destruct trip mechanism causing the car to roll "CHiPS" style. That would scare the bejeezus out of the uninformed masses.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Boy the lawers have latched onto roll overs and put the fear of God into car companies. If you've seen the papers you know that Ford is being sued right now for ALL the 15 passenger vans they have ever made due to roll over. I don't know why they don't include Chevy and Dodge, their vans are largely the same. It's rediculous, pretty soon all cars will have to look like H1 Hummers.

The argument says that Ford "had previous knowledge" that the vans would roll and did nothing to make them roll over proof. I don't know why they haven't latched onto the idea of sueing the government for building highways without center divide barriers. Afterall how many people have been killed by head ons that the government "had previous knowledge" of that danger.

I live in a very urban area, and in our yellow pages the special colored index section for Attorneys is greater than the indexed section for Automotive. That's a lot of lawers looking for business. Makes you wonder. :skep

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:thumbs A big thumbs up to Saturn and GM for taking the initiative on this one and not waiting for the NHTSA to mandate the recall! It will help their image to not have a mandatory safety recall on the car, and it will certainly keep their customers happy by informing them in this way and reassuring them that they are on top of this potential problem!

I am curious whether the Equinox uses the same suspension components or not since it is built on the same basic platform. . If it does, I wonder if we will see a recall over there too.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, one member of the Saturnfans forums was told by his service tech that the replacement parts are being sourced from the Equinox. I haven't had time to really look into it tho. New baby in the family as of 9 hours ago :party

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah here's the official GM press release about this. Meant to post it when I found it but I was on vacation on dialup :D

[LINK]

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Actually, one member of the Saturnfans forums was told by his service tech that the replacement parts are being sourced from the Equinox. I haven't had time to really look into it tho.
That would make sense. With the Equinox's bigger size, they may have used a beefed up suspension underneath.

2KWK4U said:
New baby in the family as of 9 hours ago :party
:thumbs Congrats on the new baby in the family!! :party :cheers :thumbs

There will be little sleep and a whole lot of :cryin goin on now! :smile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts