Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get the VCM kit, just wondering if I REALLY need the pro version? I will use it to change out tunes and monitor what I have. End state for the car is to put in the wr3/ddm efr kit and be done with it (I want ~450hp). I wouldn't tune the car myself. Just trying to justify paying extra for something I wouldn't use? Or am I missing something it does I am not seeing?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm in the same place. Dr Dave does my tuning and I have 0 interest in being anything other than the end user. I got the standard version so I can tell him what I'm seeing, especially for minor trouble shooting. He walks me through to the page I need to see, tells me which setting to change and I dump it back in the car.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My understanding of the 2 is that the STD is good for data-logging and scanning, with limited adjustments to your tune, but also gives the ability to overwrite your ECM current tune. Where the pro is what you will need if you plan on fully tuning your car.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My understanding of the 2 is that the STD is good for data-logging and scanning, with limited adjustments to your tune, but also gives the ability to overwrite your ECM current tune. Where the pro is what you will need if you plan on fully tuning your car.
Not correct at all.

The pro uses an interface with inputs that allows you to log external sensors that the car wont log through the CANBUS (OBDII). The pro comes in handy with cars that don't have a built in wideband O2 sensor (LNF has an onboard WBO2, the LE5 does not). So you can hook your wideband gauge output (5V output on most WBAFR gauges) to the pro interface and would be able to log this along with all of the other parameters that the CANBUS offers.

The standard will do everything the pro interface will, without the ability to datalog external inputs.

I have the pro version and do a fair amount of tuning other than my own car, and I don't use any of the external inputs because I solely tune LNFs.

So here is my take on it, if you have an LE5, get the pro and a wideband gauge so you can log the external input of the AFR.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either choice is costly just to be used occasionally, but then it seems to be a requirement anymore if you own a tuned car with dangerous things installed that can cause severe engine damage (like meth). But if that's the case, then standard it is.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not correct at all.

The pro uses an interface with inputs that allows you to log external sensors that the car wont log through the CANBUS (OBDII). The pro comes in handy with cars that don't have a built in wideband O2 sensor (LNF has an onboard WBO2, the LE5 does not). So you can hook your wideband gauge output (5V output on most WBAFR gauges) to the pro interface and would be able to log this along with all of the other parameters that the CANBUS offers.

The standard will do everything the pro interface will, without the ability to datalog external inputs.

I have the pro version and do a fair amount of tuning other than my own car, and I don't use any of the external inputs because I solely tune LNFs.

So here is my take on it, if you have an LE5, get the pro and a wideband gauge so you can log the external input of the AFR.
Isn't the STD limited to just one car, while the Pro includes 2 or 3 additional "licenses, certificates" or whatever HPT calls them?

Yogi

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know both kits come with 8 GM credits. The Solstice/Sky would take two each, so I can use it on both my cars.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No, you license with credits, both come with the same amount of credits. The pro also has a "black box" data logger, which I have yet to figure out haha.

From HPT Forums:

We sell 2 hardware models with our VCM Suite package.

What does the MPVI Pro interface allow me to do over the Standard Version?
With our Pro interface, you can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as EGT, Wide Band, fuel pressure and others right into our scanner. You will have real time data from those sensors right next to your standard scan tool data such as TPS, RPM, MPH, etc.

Our MPVI Pro interface also has black box data datalogging for select vehicles of up to 1hr 30mins built in. What this means is you are able to scan your vehicle without the use of a laptop using the interfaces record button. You can then take the interface into your home to transfer the log contents from the interface to the computer. If you have an MPVI Pro it will require no hardware modification. Also note that VCM Scanner comes with both interfaces regardless as it is part of our VCM Suite package.

Can I buy a wide band sensor and simply plug it in?
No. You need a wide band kit that supplies a 0-5v output. You will plug the output from your wide band controller into our interface.

Is a Wideband Sensor & Controller included with the MPVI Pro?
No. But you can purchase one from HPTuners we sell the DynoJet 15-7003 and the NGK AFR500 #SNSR-00990-2-2
How many external devices can I have with the MPVI Pro?
We have provisions for 4 external devices that use a 0-5v output signal.

I am a current customer with VCM Suite but I want the new MPVI Pro interface, how do I buy it?
MPVI Pro (Enhanced I/O) Upgrade Process

Does the Standard MPVI come with the scanner too?
Yes it comes with the hardware, the same scanner the pro comes with & the same editor package as the pro comes with.

Does the Standard MPVI come with the same amount of credits as the Pro MPVI?
Yes, both the Standard & Pro Version come with 8 credits.

How much would it cost to upgrade from the Standard MPVI to the Pro MPVI if I decided to upgrade later?
$289+shipping

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications, Roxer and Matt!

Yogi

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like its been explained. To make it even easier,

If you have an LNF, buy the standard, its all you need. If you have an Le5 the pro will let you connect the 0-5v output form your wide band so you can log your a/f as you tune. Not 100% required as its only for YOUR reference while tuning.

I have the Pro and have never used the input sources bc we only use it with LNF Cobalts and Solstices..

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
As others have stated, the standard version works really well for most people when doing tuning on Solstice or Sky. Since the 2.0L does come with the wideband already you can use the factory wideband for fueling. As for the 2.4L, if you work with them enough, the factory narrowband is very repeatable in its readings and can be used to verify you are close to the air/fuel ratio you want to see. On all of the 2.4L cars we have tuned, around 900-910mv will get you really close to a 12.2-12.4 air/fuel ratio which works well on the 2.4L engines under boost. If someone has a wideband installed in their 2.4L exhaust and wants to datalog it, then get the Pro, but typically the standard version will work.

We have 3 cables here and all of them are the standard version.

Hope that helps,
Dave

- Roxer, saw your email from earlier, we are finishing up an install I will email you later tonight :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Get the standard one.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Looks like its been explained. To make it even easier,

If you have an LNF, buy the standard, its all you need. If you have an Le5 the pro will let you connect the 0-5v output form your wide band so you can log your a/f as you tune. Not 100% required as its only for YOUR reference while tuning.

I have the Pro and have never used the input sources bc we only use it with LNF Cobalts and Solstices..
I think that you must have mixed them up?

LNF W/WB = Pro
LE5 W/NB = Std.

Yogi

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think that you must have mixed them up?

LNF W/WB = Pro
LE5 W/NB = Std.

Yogi
No, I have it right. The LNF has a factory wideband and does not need a 0-5v input to read A/F. The Le5 does not have a factory wideband, in order to record A/F, you will need that 0-5v input to log it. Remember, the only thing the Pro add is 0-5v inputs. Which the LNF does not need.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Jn2 is correct. LNF has a loggable wideband from the factory, this can be logged through the CANBUS using HPT standard. The LE5 has a narrowband, which can be logged through the CANBUS on HPT Standard, as Dave from DDM is stating, but it will not log an air fuel ratio, but rather millivolts, which is not technically accurate (though Dave has a range of what would be accurate, I would not feel comfortable running a boosted car like that, personally).

Therefore, to get a datalog of a legitimate air fuel ratio on an LE5, one would have to have an external AFR gauge with a 5V output, which would then interface the HPT Pro MPVI module and then would appear in the datalogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feel the Pro version is worth it just to be able to log without your laptop. I think its just way easier to log with the little scanner thing than bring your laptop in the car. My laptop always get thrown about when its in the car. Also the HPTuners supported vehicle list is growing all the time and you you might need external inputs on your next performance car. Another thing worth thinking about, it's $150 more up front over the standard but almost $300 to upgrade latter on when you need it.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Jn2 is correct. LNF has a loggable wideband from the factory, this can be logged through the CANBUS using HPT standard. The LE5 has a narrowband, which can be logged through the CANBUS on HPT Standard, as Dave from DDM is stating, but it will not log an air fuel ratio, but rather millivolts, which is not technically accurate (though Dave has a range of what would be accurate, I would not feel comfortable running a boosted car like that, personally).

Therefore, to get a datalog of a legitimate air fuel ratio on an LE5, one would have to have an external AFR gauge with a 5V output, which would then interface the HPT Pro MPVI module and then would appear in the datalogs.
Absolutely, for a 100% accurate wideband reading you would need to run the wideband into the inputs on the PRO module. Typically though if we are running an LE5 with a wideband we are on our dyno, which makes it much easier to drive and watch what is going on all at one time. Since most folks are not going to have that option, then the pro version with a wideband will be a good option on a 2.4L boosted car.

I feel the Pro version is worth it just to be able to log without your laptop. I think its just way easier to log with the little scanner thing than bring your laptop in the car. My laptop always get thrown about when its in the car. Also the HPTuners supported vehicle list is growing all the time and you you might need external inputs on your next performance car. Another thing worth thinking about, it's $150 more up front over the standard but almost $300 to upgrade latter on when you need it.
The only reason that we shy away from using the internal logging function and instead always have a laptop running when street tuning a car is that if you get into a situation where something goes wrong, you will not know about it until you get back. Although it typically takes 2 people to do, we are usually street tuning with 2 people, one driver and and the passenger is watching the laptop in real time to watch air/fuel and knock and make sure that something is not going bad in a hurry. Once again, we are dealing with people bringing their cars to us, so we do not always know what is going on with the car until we start logging it and so this is very important to us. If you are sneaking up on a tune and taking your time with it, it really would not be a big deal to datalog it and play it back later. Just wanted to throw that out though.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The only time I would use the black box is on a long trip where I want to log my MAF parameters. I picked up my Pro Module used for cheap, otherwise I would only have the STD.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have PRO for the reasons Dave listed. Logging WB and watching in real time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
... Just wanted to throw that out though.
Good point Dave.

... I picked up my Pro Module used for cheap, otherwise I would only have the STD.
Same here. There was a GM/Ford performance shop in Houston that was switching their business model to only service Ford and they had a couple of the GM Pro Suites listed on craigslist, along with a bunch of Corvette and Camaro stuff, for cheap.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts