Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice article in the new issue of High Performance Pontiac Magazine of a 2009 GXP.
One part I never really thought of; even though there were lots of unique Pontiacs in 2009 and in the last years leading up to the end, the Solstice was actually the last true Pontiac design. The GTO and G8 were Holden, the G6 and others were corporate, the Solstice, and especially the Coupe, was all Pontiac's design and then shared with Opel and Saturn.

So we actually have the last real Pontiac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm the owner of the coupe in the article. I just wanted to thank High Performance Pontiac Magazine and Chris for putting together a great piece and for respecting the Solstice as an important performance car in the brand's great history.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nice article in the new issue of High Performance Pontiac Magazine of a 2009 GXP.
One part I never really thought of; even though there were lots of unique Pontiacs in 2009 and in the last years leading up to the end, the Solstice was actually the last true Pontiac design. The GTO and G8 were Holden, the G6 and others were corporate, the Solstice, and especially the Coupe, was all Pontiac's design and then shared with Opel and Saturn.

With regard to the coupe, does the article state that it is the last new model Pontiac produced for '09 before shuttering the plant? The coupe specifically is said to be the last new Pontiac model.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Is that the April issue?

BTW, I think the author of the cited 2009 article was correct on interior and storage space, wrong on seats and harshness. He was clearly using extreme language for the sake of impact in the article but I think the seats are far better than he said and I don't think the stock suspensions settings are as bad as he says - had they chosen harder stock settings, no doubt this same author would have been bitching that they were too hard.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Is that the April issue?

BTW, I think the author of the cited 2009 article was correct on interior and storage space, wrong on seats and harshness. He was clearly using extreme language for the sake of impact in the article but I think the seats are far better than he said and I don't think the stock suspensions settings are as bad as he says - had they chosen harder stock settings, no doubt this same author would have been bitching that they were too hard.
:agree:

my thoughts exactly. I do hope our '09 seats don't suffer the padding issue/loose leather in the seat cushion like I have seen. They are perfectly fine IMO. High grade Jaguar leather, NOT, but also NOT on high grade Jaguar price. Driver's power window is about the most annoying and rediculous thing I would mention on the car, along with instrumentation lighting. Nevertheless, if the writer spent a bit more time with this car, it would NOT be the beauty and yet beastful relationship mentioned (again a nice dramatization). I also love simple vehicles in general though, I hate tons of buttons and gimmick crap, to go wrong eventually, distract while driving, and generally clutter the experience.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Just bought and received back issue of August/12/GM High Tech
Pontiac Solstice GXP - The Werks - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f65/gm-high-tech-performance-magazine-article-werks-73728/

Dstraycat; told Werks your vehicle is true poster quality/worthy.

Solstice book (Gary Witzenburg) states Franz von Holzhausen came up with original coupe concept drawing (per Lutz request) for an entry-level Pontiac then subsequently asked for it to be photoshopped into a Pontiac vert.

The Vauxhall Lighting was based off Franz's concept design in hopes it would go into production to celebrate Vauxhall 100 year anniversary. Then GM killed the idea, and subsequently morphed it into the Saturn SKY, Opel GT, and Daewoo GX2.

Also, thinking that since the Kappa architecture was used by 4 GM divisions that it could be argued the Fiero was truly the last Pontiac due to the P car platform being used only by Pontiac. Heck even the Corvette architecture was allowed to be used by Cadillac for a few years (XLR) :devil:

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Also, thinking that since the Kappa architecture was used by 4 GM divisions that it could be argued the Fiero was truly the last Pontiac due to the P car platform being used only by Pontiac.
Great thought - I'll raise the asking price on my 88 and advertise it as the 'Last True Pontiac'!! ;)

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Great thought - I'll raise the asking price on my 88 and advertise it as the 'Last True Pontiac'!! ;)
Drop in a Pontiac 151 4 cylinder or 301 V8 engine and it would cement the issue.
:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac
(70/82 Section/10th paragraph)
For 1977, Pontiac replaced the Ventura with the Phoenix, a version of Chevrolet's fourth generation Nova. Pontiac also introduced its 151 cubic inch "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder overhead valve engine. It was first used in the 1977 Astre, replacing Astre's aluminum-block 140 cubic inch Vega engine. The 'Iron Duke' engine would later go into many GM and non-GM automobiles into the early 1990s. The 151 cubic inch L4 and the 301 cubic inch V-8 were the last two engines designed solely by Pontiac. Subsequent engine design would be accomplished by one central office with all designs being shared by each brand.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Drop in a Pontiac 151 4 cylinder or 301 V8 engine and it would cement the issue.
Oh Gawd - that was one of the worst pieces of crap ever foisted on us by GM. The engine, which I prefer to refer to as the 'Iron Puke' as that's what happens to its innards if you try and rev it above 4500, is ghastly. No breathing, no power and it falls to bits if you try to get any power out of it.

Some misguided owners spend lots of money trying to improve them and get maybe an extra 10-20 BHP at the cost of reliability, still leaving them far short of what the stock 2.8 V6 produced.

The cast iron head V6 was no paragon of performance either, but you could get it into reasonable power levels by forced induction (as in my 88) without it puking its guts all over the street. The later alloy heads breathed far better and are a superior start on any project cars, although when I swapped a 3.4 into my 1956 MG, I did use the Camaro cast iron head engine as it was easiest to get in front wheel drive configuration (mated to a T5) and I figured that 200 BHP (what I could get without getting too extreme) in a 2,000 lb car was adequate.

The engine I was always taken with was the DOHC V6 LQ1 engines which were under rated and high tech for their day. All old hat now and a generation behind the current VVT DOHC V6s.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
The engine I was always taken with was the DOHC V6 LQ1 engines which were under rated and high tech for their day. All old hat now and a generation behind the current VVT DOHC V6s.
I had one of those in a '96 Grand Prix, and was never very impressed with the engine. It wasn't a very good performer. I much preferred the 2.8 V6 in my '84 Pontiac 6000STE. It had much better drivability.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts

The 151 cubic inch L4 and the 301 cubic inch V-8 were the last two engines designed solely by Pontiac.
I had one of those 301 Pontiac produced V8 engines in a 1977 Buick LeSabre sedan I used for business. It was a really bad engine as far a drivability went, it frequently would idle at 2000RPM, especially in winter. It was a total piece of junk.

:brentil::willy:

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I had one of those in a '96 Grand Prix, and was never very impressed with the engine. It wasn't a very good performer. I much preferred the 2.8 V6 in my '84 Pontiac 6000STE. It had much better drivability.
Story I heard was that the transmissions used in the Grand Prix was not up to the torque so GM intentionally detuined the LQ1. One guy tried a turbo on an otherwise stock engine and got close to 300 BHP, so there was potential there, but it was always hampered by a lack of after market parts available. Another dead end on the GM highway....

·
Registered
345 Posts

If you had been behind me it would have been obvious. ;)

This one was not only the last Pontiac design it was the last new Pontiac sold in Central Arkansas.
LJ

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you had been behind me it would have been obvious. ;)

This one was not only the last Pontiac design it was the last new Pontiac sold in Central Arkansas.
LJ
The significance of Central Arkansas is? We're not talking the state of Arkansas, but rather "central arkansas"? Hmm, :thumbs:

Who has the last GXP Coupe sold in Arkansas?:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts