1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two things i dont like about the Sol:

1. Ridiculously huge front fascia fog lights
why so big? they look like headlights!

2. Huge circular recesses at rear fascia for gigantic reverse lights.
pontiac designers are obssessed with these huge stupid-looking, old school circular designs (a la pontiac grand prix, grand am, etc.). every friggin pontiac always seem to have them. these guys are stuck on stupid. why not just integrate the reverse lights into the taillight assembly for a nice clean look?

IMHO car would look so much better from the front & back without them. what do you think?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The front fog lights are a combination fog and turn signal housing. In the back, the reverse lamps are a combo reverse lamp/reflector housing. With both serving a dual purpose, they need some size. They are also parts bin, the front housings from the Grand Prix, the rear from the GMC Envoy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I actually like the lights, reminds me of the older sports cars from the 60s.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i think someone photoshopped the Solstice without the front foglight housing... looked pretty good if I remember...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fformula88 said:
The front fog lights are a combination fog and turn signal housing. In the back, the reverse lamps are a combo reverse lamp/reflector housing. With both serving a dual purpose, they need some size. They are also parts bin, the front housings from the Grand Prix, the rear from the GMC Envoy.
i'm not debating as to their fuction/purpose. i'm talking about their appearance...you actually think they look good? show me a roadster that has such bulky, obtrusive-looking fog/turn signal, reverse/reflector setup.

look at all pontiac cars...seems to be a standard design feature that identifies their cars as "Pontiac". i'm surprised they refrained from some honeycomb taillights. everything else about the car looks great (IMHO) & doesn't look like Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I like the front fog lights but I'm not a fan of the recesed backup lights. But ehhh, not the end of the world to me. That's what the aftermarket is for. Get enough people interested and you can get replcaments made that are flush with the bumper instead.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I like them. Everything on the car is about curves so round fits in well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brentil said:
I like the front fog lights but I'm not a fan of the recesed backup lights. But ehhh, not the end of the world to me. That's what the aftermarket is for. Get enough people interested and you can get replcaments made that are flush with the bumper instead.
im just sayin i don't think it was necessary...especially the recesed backup lights. and front fogs should be smaller (IMO). seems more like they wanted to put the Pontiac look on the car. what they should know is that the reason people like the car for the most part is because it doesn't look like a Pontiac.

BTW...take a close look at the grille...i think i see a honeycomb pattern on it :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PaulWall said:
im just sayin i don't think it was necessary...especially the recesed backup lights. and front fogs should be smaller (IMO). seems more like they wanted to put the Pontiac look on the car. what they should know is that the reason people like the car for the most part is because it doesn't look like a Pontiac.

BTW...take a close look at the grille...i think i see a honeycomb pattern on it :lol:
Of course it doesn't look like a Vibe or an Aztek, but it shares the rounded hips of the dearly departed Sunfire. Th etwin grill, the wide-track, these ARE Pontiac. Maybe you want a "Silver Streak" down the hood? BTW I don't plan on viewing Sols from the back, that's for the people I pass. At least they won't confuse me with a Boxter or S2K. As far as bad taillights, look at all the cars that are copying the big fat round ones from the Tbird which copy the '61 Fairlane. Seems that Nissan and Toyota and Chevy and Ford are using the same parts bin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
mcbman said:
I think they look AWESOME!
I also think you came to the wrong forum - Calling Pontiac Stupid?
i guess you also think those non-functional dents next to the Pontiac emblems on the front fenders look AWESOME too! ;)

and no i didn't come to the wrong forum. I just have a different opionion than you. this is still America isn't it?

·
Registered
462 Posts
PaulWall said:
what they should know is that the reason people like the car for the most part is because it doesn't look like a Pontiac.

Well, In my opinion...
I like the car because it IS a Pontiac and it DOES look like a Pontiac.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
achieftain said:
Of course it doesn't look like a Vibe or an Aztek, but it shares the rounded hips of the dearly departed Sunfire. Th etwin grill, the wide-track, these ARE Pontiac. Maybe you want a "Silver Streak" down the hood? BTW I don't plan on viewing Sols from the back, that's for the people I pass. At least they won't confuse me with a Boxter or S2K. As far as bad taillights, look at all the cars that are copying the big fat round ones from the Tbird which copy the '61 Fairlane. Seems that Nissan and Toyota and Chevy and Ford are using the same parts bin.
which car in your opinion looks better from front & back (Sol or Sky) ?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PaulWall said:
i guess you also think those dents next to the Pontiac emblems on the front fenders look AWESOME too! ;)

and no i didn't come to the wrong forum. I just have a different opionion than you. this is still America isn't it?
Fake brake heat exhausts! See the honeycomb version on the Grand Prix GXP. How about the rear brake fake intakes on the '68 Shelby GT500. What about fake hood scoops on the Subaru WRX and the GTO. So they don't do anything. The "dents" behind teh emblem are a carryover from the concept car where they were a little higher and were quite possible functional handholds to lift the whole front of car, not just the hood.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mcbman said:
Well, In my opinion...
I like the car because it IS a Pontiac and it DOES look like a Pontiac.
relax...take a deep breath...its ok for other people to have their own opinion without getting hostile. i like the car too! i'm just pointing out a few things which IMHO could have been done differently.

some people may disagree and think everything about the car is perfect. and thats cool too. we all have our own personal tastes.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PaulWall said:
which car in your opinion looks better from front & back (Sol or Sky) ?
I prefer the Solstice look both front and rear to the Sky. The Sky is a little edgier and could almost, I said almost pass for a Caddy or Saab.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
achieftain said:
I prefer the Solstice look both front and rear to the Sky. The Sky is a little edgier and could almost, I said almost pass for a Caddy or Saab.
personally i prefer the Sky (front & back) but i understand what you mean. also i dont like the chrome up front and in the taillight assembly...looks gaudy IMHO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
naoki said:
i think someone photoshopped the Solstice without the front foglight housing... looked pretty good if I remember...
yea i think i saw that...maybe someone can find that thread.

·
Registered
515 Posts
PaulWall -
I'm just curious, what do you like about the Solstice? What are its strong points, in your opinion?

1 - 20 of 149 Posts