Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Hurricane! I wish they would stop already, after purchasing generators,chainsaws,emergency supplies and doing the repairs and cleanup
required after the other storms I may not have enough money left or enough
room in the garage. Thank god I've only received glancing blows being in St Augustine so far and I hope everyone that is here in Florida with me stays safe and comes through the storm well.

Riding the storm out
WWP

Hurricane :party

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Best wishes to both you guys. Hope everything turns out ok and you both have enough money after clean up to get your Solstices. Maybe that's why we don't hear from Pagett anymore, I think he was in Florida. Hope he's ok too.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hope you all do fine with the latest rounds of hurricanes. We never had one get close to us when we lived there in the early eighties. Good luck!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
This hurricane season has been insane. It just gets more and more crazy. Jeanne did a full 360 out in the Atlantic before coming back around to continue its course towards Florida. I have never seen that before! :crazy

Best of luck to everyone who will be riding out yet another bad storm. Hope everyone makes it through safe and with a minimal of storm damage and problems!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We've had near 20 hours of constant winds above 40 mph. The hurricane itself is gone now, but we've still got feader bands going over us from tiem to time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The storm is gone everbody here is safe and only minimal damage was done here :thumbs It's sunny today just right for topless cruising in a soltice.I hope everyone else here in Florida did as well as I did.
wwp

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Gald to hear all is well by you WWP! I bet a nice cruise in a Solstice would definately be nice to unwind after the nervousness and frustration of waiting out all these hurricanes! Hopefully that is it for this year!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Didn't they put all those islands down there to protect Florida? What the hell happened? Only kidding of course, it's got to be just terrible for all the less fortunate people in the Carribean to deal with this, alot of them pretty much have nothing now. Hurricanes and Tornados are really bad news, and everybody needs a break. There has really been some freakish weather the last decade or so. Too many extremes, we need mild and average right now. :rolleyes Glad to hear people in our group here seem to have made it ok, that's good news. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well several people are theorizing this is the begining of an active hurricane period. Apparently every 1-6 decades weather conditions change enough to cause it to be an active or lull period of activity. And they're thinking this is the begining of an active period.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I've got some scientist friends that have been predicting this might happen:

Warming in the gulf and atlantic currents increase propensity for hurricanes, which will also affect steering currents. This will increase the probability of FL tracks of hurricanes vs TX/LA, with more and more storms hanging out in the atlantic ocean. The curlique that Jeanne (and Ivan AFTER landfall) are supposedly more indications.

The implication is that this is one of the byproducts of.... (bump-Bump-BUMMMM)... Global Warming!

One friend of mine, over three years ago, said, "you'll know global warming is a certainty when you see Florida six significant hurricanes in a single year."

I thought, yah... six hurricanes in one year... that's happened only never in the history of tracking hurricanes.

Now, I'm not so sure. The latest Nat'l Geographic has 2/3 of the magazine dedicated to global warming. Maybe there's something going on?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Fformula88: Forgot to mention a couple of days ago the Weather Channel was showing a red Fiero like yours driving through two feet of water with the water flowing up over the hood all the way to the windshield!! Very impressive. Guess a mid engine has benefits I hadn't considered.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Fformula88: Forgot to mention a couple of days ago the Weather Channel was showing a red Fiero like yours driving through two feet of water with the water flowing up over the hood all the way to the windshield!! Very impressive. Guess a mid engine has benefits I hadn't considered.
Lol, that’s awesome, except it was probably right before his engine hydrolocked! The air intake is a vent on the side of the car in the drivers side rear quarter panel below the belt line (that black strip around the car). Its not very high off the ground!

Hmm Global Warming? Nah, couldn’t be. Just a freak of nature! No way those liberals could be right! (Note sarcasm!) :lol
:jester

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
I've got some scientist friends that have been predicting this might happen:

Warming in the gulf and atlantic currents increase propensity for hurricanes, which will also affect steering currents. This will increase the probability of FL tracks of hurricanes vs TX/LA, with more and more storms hanging out in the atlantic ocean. The curlique that Jeanne (and Ivan AFTER landfall) are supposedly more indications.

The implication is that this is one of the byproducts of.... (bump-Bump-BUMMMM)... Global Warming!

One friend of mine, over three years ago, said, "you'll know global warming is a certainty when you see Florida six significant hurricanes in a single year."

I thought, yah... six hurricanes in one year... that's happened only never in the history of tracking hurricanes.

Now, I'm not so sure. The latest Nat'l Geographic has 2/3 of the magazine dedicated to global warming. Maybe there's something going on?
This takes us back to the California Emmisions thread. That's what it's about, reducing green house gasses and lower global warming. It's a fact of life for us in the 21st century, I just hope we can be rational about it and phase in changes like car emmisions requirements in a logical, progressive fashion, so as not to upset our economy and bring on social unrest due to alarmist reactions and radical solutions. Of coarse if Florida is going to get hit with 6 hurricanes every year, we can't drag our feet to long. We just need to ease the transition to Hydrogen and away from oil with out big shock to the world economy, and it takes time to do these things right.

In the mean time, I might suggest that communities along the gulf coast to consider rebuilding with concrete tilt wall homes with stronger roofs, or even more aerodynamic homes like a concrete dome perhaps. Kind of a three little pigs scenario. The raising tide and high surf is also a big problem, but the corp of engineers can help there alot I would think. They have a whole lot of experience with water management. Just think how cool it might be to sit in your self reliant, air conditioned, hurricane proof home, comfortable and dry, sipping a long cold hurricane as the raging hurricane passes by outside. With a little engineering I believe this is possible.

I know it would be very expensive to fortify the coast, but rebuilding 'aint cheap either. Global warming is here it seems, it's going to take us decades to correct it, and in the mean time adjustments must be made to help people deal with the climactic changes. It's a new world for sure, but it doesn't have to be the post apocoliptic doomed world of recent sci-fi. Technology and know how got us into this, and I'm convinced it will get us through in it's own coarse. We just have to look at all the factors and be creative.:cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
some food for thought:

that's happened only never in the history of tracking hurricanes.
which has been how long? or better yet, for what percentage of time since the last ice age?

This takes us back to the California Emmisions thread. That's what it's about, reducing green house gasses and lower global warming. It's a fact of life for us in the 21st century, I just hope we can be rational about it and phase in changes like car emmisions requirements in a logical, progressive fashion, so as not to upset our economy and bring on social unrest due to alarmist reactions and radical solutions.
even if our emmisions are contibuting to higher temps, reducing auto emissions to zero wont do a thing for global warming if the planets natural filters continue to shrink. save a 67 camaro, plant a tree.

We just need to ease the transition to Hydrogen
iirc, the ICE has a net energy efficiency higher than an H powered car when the production of H is factored in. so, we'll be using more coal gas and oil.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Although the US is currently the largest producer of greenhouse gasses, there are two factors that make things like CA’s new emissions requirements a drop in the bucket initiative.

The first one is seen after an analysis of what cars are producing those bad emissions. About 95% of harmful auto emissions are being produced by only 5% of the automotive fleet, and 99% by 10% of the fleet. Whats that mean? Most cars on the road are basically clean already, and CA’s legislation will make a miniscule improvement on the overall emissions standard.

The fact of the matter is older cars account for most emissions. Now this is by no means an attack on old 67 Camaros, 69 Chargers, or any other classic vehicle. Sure they are part of this lower percentage, but they are driven so little that they too have a negligible effect. The big offenders are those cars who are driven daily, but have either inferior emissions equipment (such as a daily driven 60’s musclecar or more likely a daily driven 80’s or 90’s vehicle who’s emissions equipment is no longer working, such as having a bad cat converter, or non-functioning 02 sensor or other equipment). These are the cars that are doing the most harm.

What to do about them? Well, that is another problem. Maybe in the case of CA, instead of requiring auto companies to add $3000 of emissions equipment to new cars, they should instead require auto companies to add $3000 worth or warranty coverage to the emissions equipment already in place (say maybe a 10 yr 150K coverage on all emissions related equipment) which will make people more likely to get it replaced as it fails. Essentially, the new price of the car would go up, and people would pay for these future repairs up front just as a regular bumper to bumper warranty works now.

The second thing that will make these new regs a drop in the bucket is the world economy. The US emissions will remain a big contributor for some time to come, but developing nations will quickly reduce the impact the US has on the environment because of their shear volume. China is already industrializing at an alarming pace, and millions of cars are going onto the roads each year where there were no other cars. In the US, about 17 million new rides are sold each year, but there are not 17 million new drivers. Many of the cars in the US fleet are second vehicles and cannot be driven at the same time. China on the other hand is adding only a couple million a year right now, but that means they also have a couple million new drivers. By 2025, they are expected to have a larger auto market than the US, and will still be adding millions of new drivers a year! India may not be too far behind China in turning to cars, with Billions more in population to get vehicles. Both of these countries will quickly be the leaders in emissions output, and they must be conscious in trying to keep emissions down.

Of course, this is all the more reason to get away from dyno fuels too, as they will drive the demand and cost for oil way up, and the remaining stocks way down.

PS, once again, sorry for the long rant! :smile

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Bizz said:
which has been how long? or better yet, for what percentage of time since the last ice age?
Yeah I agree with Bizz, we really don't have enough data to really be sure about any of this. Like just over 100 years. I think they started tracking hurricanes in 1896 or something liek that. So we've had one entire 'active' hurricane period since then. We really have no idea if it's always like this every so many decades, or what. I think blaming Global Warming is a little extreme since we don't have scientific data going back to prior industrial age to compare to. This last active hurricane period might have been a really slow hurricane period too compared to times before that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts