Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Spring has FINALLY sprung here in the mitten after being over 4 weeks LATE and a prolonged winter with temps in the 20's just days ago!!

I pulled the 2008 Solstice GXP out and fired it up and put air in the tires as were a couple pounds low.

The blower fan on the HVAC does not work at all and in any position!! I can sorta hear a relay click from the passanger floorboard when moving from fan speed "4" to "5" positions, but nothing happens!

If you guys can help direct me how to troubleshoot this, what fuses to check, where the blow fan motor is located, and how to replace it (if applicable), that would be great in getting it ready for the season.

Thanks in advance.

Robb

·
Registered
249 Posts
This could be the blower motor resistor. I had a similar issue and turned out that was it. Use the search function and you should be able to see if that is your issue and the parts you need to order. Easy to replace and won't take very long.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
If you leave the fan switched to HIGH for long periods of time it has been known to blowout the speed resister. As ST said, check for threads on replacing the fan resister. I bought mine from Amazon

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Yeah, if you hear the click of the high speed relay, but still get no fan, 99% sure it's the blower resistor.

There are three fuses in the various fan circuits (#10 & #18 in the BCM, #4 in the underhood fuse box) but since you hear the HS relay, they would all apparently be OK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Super easy!
Google it. You have to take glove box out to get to it.

Here is my post, including part used. By the way, same issue happens with Hummer that shares parts.

Easy fix at Part Source for resistor and harness kit. I have part number listed below. Don't get the OEM. You have to pull wires out and reset with connectors. The Dorman part just had to crimp wires. Easy-peasy!

I too just experienced same thing. Could feel cold come out of vent, but no blower!
Took dash apart, pulled harness, and found the exact same connector burnt!
Went to GM dealership in Burlington, they had the red piece of harness, and five clips, plus resistor for $91 plus tax. I didn't want to be pulling old ends out, or cutting and getting shorter leads, so passed and went to Part Source in Burlington to see what they had. For $86 plus tax, it was the red end of the harness including about 8" of wiring intact, and 5 wire connectors plus the resistor. I liked that I had the extra wiring so not straining to reconnect with shortened wires.

For anyone looking, they have a Dorman Products Blower Motor Resistor kit. Product sku is 973-510. Took me half an hour to fix harness, and plug in. Fingers crossed, turned the key, and hit the AC and it was ALIVE! Now I can drive again in this 30 degree plus humidex for a feeling of 40 degrees Celsius weather with my roof up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks soo much for everyone's support. You identified the problem correctly.

I searched and used the following instructions someone wrote. I called my local Advanced Auto Parts store and picked up part #973-510 for $52.99.

At first I pulled everything and fan turned fine and did not see anything wrong or "burnt wires". It wasn't until pulled the entire harness out AND pulled the resistor pack that I could see the connector was fried! I just cut the connector off and kept most of the wire length (though the new one's wire thickness is MUCH larger and probably the root cause or contributing cause)! I'm not one for barrel or butt and mechanical connections so I stripped both sides, tinned the wire and soldered them flowing the solder thru and heat singing each wire. 30 minutes later, my blower works and old lady will be happy that she will have A/C as Summer is coming!

The last thing I have to do is install the glovebox CORRECTLY. I have it in there, but it's not right. This also suggests how to install it, but it's tricky. Maybe there is a video link. In any event will look into it this morning. Everything works and appreciate the support!

"Replacing Blower Motor on my 2007 Pontiac Solstice.
1. Remove plastic plate below glove box. (7mm screw to left and plastic pop off to right)
2. Remove 2 screws to resistor, pull out clip of wire harness to motor, pull out wire harness plug to motor, unscrew screw to other wire harness attached to motor.
3. There are 3 screws to motor mount, one of which I wanted and did remove glove box. (really hard to put back on though, but I will explain how I did it).
To remove glove box remove wire to right (easy clip on glove box, do not worry wire snaps up top but can be grabbed). Then push in clips to left and right that hold it up and when hanging down, kind of pull to right and left to snap out. Be careful not to break, but pretty strong plastic. the are 3 latches the outside come over top and the middle from beneath. To put back on I had to have glove box straight down, for right side then pull box a 90 degree angle and push in, it magically snapped in. this was after 1/2 hour of messing with it.
4. pull out rubber hose from car. Hose stays on old motor.
5. Notice there is a foam gasket to reuse and put into slot of new motor.
6. reverse steps.
If not for the glove compartment, I would say 45 min job...."

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got the glovebox installed and correctly last weekend. Follow the instructions I posted. It's just a little tricky. It has to be pointed towadr the floor, then center and right, left, and up. It's weird, but worked and installed without breaking the tabs!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts