Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to determine if the frame rails are steel or aluminum. Some body panels (like the hood) are hydroformed too.

Based on the weight of the Solstice, I would think everything is steal.

Does anyone know for sure? Fiberglass? Steal? Aluminum?

RadRiv

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant Fiberglass for any body panels?

And at this price, I would again assume that the frame rails and body panels are steal.

RadRiv

·
Registered
338 Posts
RADRIV said:
I have not been able to determine if the frame rails are steel or aluminum. Some body panels (like the hood) are hydroformed too.

Based on the weight of the Solstice, I would think everything is steal.

Does anyone know for sure? Fiberglass? Steal? Aluminum?

RadRiv
All of the frame members are steel. The hood, doors, decklid, and quarters are h-formed steel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The body panels are steel and I would bet the frame rails are too. The new Z06 gets aluminum frame rails but they are having a outside company make them. Unlike the steel ones for the regular vette that are made inhouse. I can't see them using aluminum at this pricepoint.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Remember the Solstice is not heavy, it's average. There are a vast number of comparison charts in the FAQ's you can go look at. In reality there are only 3 other mass produced Roadsters lighter then the Solstice. MR2, Miata, and Elise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
conejo148 said:
All of the frame members are steel. The hood, doors, decklid, and quarters are h-formed steel.
I quoted directly from the SOL trifold card, avail. on one of the other threads...I'll just paste a new copy.

Look at bullet #2, under "Up Front." I just know (99.9%) that the frame is steel 1. Cost, 2. Weight, 3. Use of h-forming. 4. Ability to handle the body flex that goes with the lat. g's. capacity.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts