Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously hypothetical:

If I drove into a Pontiac Dealer today, and they had a Solstice I could buy, I pay MSRP, I drive it for 6 months, and put only 4K miles on it, and it is still in great condition, HOW MUCH do you think I could sell it for relative to MSRP (private party sale)? Consider it a Sept 2005 purchase, and a March 2006 sale. I'd assume a non-first-1k car? How would a first-1K car do in the same situation?

I know there are probably A LOT OF what ifs in this hypothetical, but I'm curious? There may be practical information I may need....ssssshhhhh........

·
Registered
479 Posts
RODEO said:
Obviously hypothetical:

If I drove into a Pontiac Dealer today, and they had a Solstice I could buy, I pay MSRP, I drive it for 6 months, and put only 4K miles on it, and it is still in great condition, HOW MUCH do you think I could sell it for relative to MSRP (private party sale)? Consider it a Sept 2005 purchase, and a March 2006 sale. I'd assume a non-first-1k car? How would a first-1K car do in the same situation?

I know there are probably A LOT OF what ifs in this hypothetical, but I'm curious? There may be practical information I may need....ssssshhhhh........
My guess is a 1st 1000 will hold a little more value. Of course the lower the vin the better you will do.

If you were buying one off the showroom floor, my guess is you lose 25 to 30% just like any other american car.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ahhhh. But your in LA and that's a whole different world. IF there's still a waiting list in March of several months and IF most dealers are still adding some sort of mark up above MSRP and IF your willing to spend a little to market it to "the Golden Group" like maybe an add in Robb Report.... my guess is you might get close to MSRP. People might look at it as saving the "because we can markup" and pay a premium for immediate gratification (something they're used to out there). :cool:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
achieftain said:
BTW which one is going away? :lol:
I take it you mean which MSM is going away? We bought the VR MSM due to the eye candy factor, it will win the war, my poor TI MSM head's on the chopping block....but it always new it was a "hold-me-over" :lol:

I'd like to think D.Dave is correct, let's see what some others think. If Del-UTZ is correct, it would be a $8K hit, thus, the TI MSM would be safe :)

I ask mostly cause I want a Sol now, but the GXP soon thereafter...IOW, I WANT IT ALL :devil:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
I ask mostly cause I want a Sol now, but the GXP soon thereafter...IOW, I WANT IT ALL :devil:
Me too. Ideally I would have two, one for me, one for the wife. She insists on automatic and really wouldn't care about the extra power. #726 has all the power she would need, but not the automatic. So now the hypothetical question arises here, too. Will a Solstice leased for 2 years be worth enough more than residual to make that work?

Of course you know we'll have to warn your hypothetical buyer that the VIN may be hypothetical, too. :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
achieftain said:
Me too. Ideally I would have two, one for me, one for the wife. She insists on automatic and really wouldn't care about the extra power. #726 has all the power she would need, but not the automatic. So now the hypothetical question arises here, too. Will a Solstice leased for 2 years be worth enough more than residual to make that work?

Of course you know we'll have to warn your hypothetical buyer that the VIN may be hypothetical, too. :lol:
Who said anything about lease, you're thread-jacking here (J/K) :lol: Let's not make this too realistic a discussion :lol:

[p.s. If any one cares to, I posted a web gallery of recent pics of our 2 MSMs and the namesake 4x4 in the link in my signature.]

·
Registered
278 Posts
RODEO said:
[p.s. If any one cares to, I posted a web gallery of recent pics of our 2 MSMs and the namesake 4x4 in the link in my signature.]
i know where you live now! i have a friend that lives in those apartments. those are nice cars BTW.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
Who said anything about lease, you're thread-jacking here (J/K) :lol: Let's not make this too realistic a discussion :lol:

Okay, okay (sound of handslap) back to the theorectical. If the wait time 6 months from now is 3 months for a new Sol and 6 months for a Sky then a hyothetical seller might achieve very close to MSRP from a hypothetical buyer in drastic desire mode. Think currently that some cars hypothetically are bringing 3-5k over MSRP, if those deals are actually happening. Reduce the value on the 6 month old due to depreciation but add back in the desireability factor and theoretically a person could be backat list.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tednelson83 said:
i know where you live now! i have a friend that lives in those apartments. those are nice cars BTW.
Yep, at least there here and I can drive them now! Just got back from a joy ride, played tag with a Jag S Class, he looked surprised when he couldn't loose me :devil: :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I think once they are on the street and the fact GM can not produce more than 10K by the spring of 2006, my guess is close to MSRP.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I think once they are on the street and the fact GM can not produce more than 10K by the spring of 2006, my guess is close to MSRP.
I agree, and especially if that's all they have produced. But I believe in another thread that GMlinedog said that they are producing 45 per shift now, so even at that rate they should significantly exceed 10k by spring. But if orders keep coming in, and with the Sky coming on line next year, I think you could still get close to MSRP for a used one, as long as it's llike new. If I'm still waiting I would consider it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If demand stays where it's at, the car would most likely sell for at or above MSRP. It's just the law of supply and demand. Used 2005 Mustang convertibles are selling well above original MSRP, because there isn't enough supply to go around.

We already know the Solstice is backordered for well over 6 months, and there is no reason to believe that the situation will be anything but worse 6 months from now.

Flagg

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
High resale value for pre-owned Solstice!

del_utz said:
My guess is a 1st 1000 will hold a little more value. Of course the lower the vin the better you will do.

If you were buying one off the showroom floor, my guess is you lose 25 to 30% just like any other american car.
You would not lose 25-30% on a high demand car like the Solstice. In six months, there will still be individuals waiting for cars. The resale value would still be very close to what you paid for the vehicle or more! I've been there and done that, with the Mini, Audi TT and other vehicles. I'm speaking from real world knowledge and experience first hand! :yesnod:

·
Registered
71 Posts
kevbo1121

RODEO said:
Obviously hypothetical:

Once you take command in the cockpit of your new SOL you will not be selling or trading :willy: :willy: :agree: :agree: :brentil: :brentil: :yawn:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It will retain most of it's MSRP value for the short term. With demand far outstripping supply, you should have no problem finding someone who will buy a lightly used Solstice for close to what a new one would cost. Especially if they are looking at a 6 month+ wait to get a new one.

The Mustang is a good example right now. It is so hard to come by a new 2005 or 2006 Mustang GT, that the value of late model used fox body Mustangs has been steadily climbing, simply because people cannot get new ones in a timely fashion so they get into a used one even though it is not the new design, simply because it is available right now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Simple question: Would you, today, pay full MSRP for a Solstice with say 8000 miles on it??? I know I would! I see no reason why demand would decline in the next 6 months and actually anticipate demand increasing once they hit the road. On the supply side, GM has said they could only catch up with orders in February if no one else orders one. And we know that's not going to happen.

But I'm curious why your wanting to sell one. Is it because you had so much fun waiting for a Solstice that you want to do it again with a Sky? :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DreamerDave said:
But I'm curious why your wanting to sell one. Is it because you had so much fun waiting for a Solstice that you want to do it again with a Sky? :lol:
I was thinking, if I bought one to tool around in while waiting to see how the GXP develops, I could sell it after a short time to upgrade to the GXP. IOW, I might want to grab the first Sol I see, then sell it shortly when the GXP is ready.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Mustang is a good example right now. It is so hard to come by a new 2005 or 2006 Mustang GT, that the value of late model used fox body Mustangs has been steadily climbing, simply because people cannot get new ones in a timely fashion so they get into a used one even though it is not the new design, simply because it is available right now.
what are you talking about? i could go to any ford dealer in town and find not less than 5 to 10 2005 mustangs half of which would be GTs! those things are every where already! even the gt convertibles are in abundance on the lots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts