·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My # came up at 1:37 central time!!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
You know the scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation where Chevt Chase finnaly gets his lights to work, and the power goes down east of the Mississippi, well at 2:00.01 when 2000 dealers plus multiple stations hit send. 42 minutes of trying to log on, rejected correct password, etc

But, I'm in.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
dylan01 said:
Not meaning to brag,
but... I know people in GM, and Ive been one of 1000 for about 11 days. :)
Hahahahahaha! :glol:

That's a good one!!!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
achieftain,
I ran into the same problem as you. My order was finally confirmed at 2:35:20. I'm too old for this. This was like having a stress test. Let me know when your car finally arrives, we're close enough to each other that a road trip is in order. ;)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Reminiscent of U2 TicketMaster web performance...

That was rough.... Some time around the + 40 minute mark, we got through with my confirmation number. There were about 7 folks behind me, they were all wait-listed, but mine said pending. Sounds like a fairly typical story for most metropolitan area dealers.

For most of that first 40 minutes, we had serious problems with server response (most times, it timed out and reported back "Server Busy"), but with persistence, we got one in down here in old So Cal.

The same thing happened with U2 early order tickets for the U2 fan club--massive traffic overload. In some respects, the behavior of thousands of enthusiastic fans formed a pretty effective onslaught, and kept the servers bogged down. The truth is that it's notoriously difficult to handle peak web traffic like this.

If the demand is any indication, Pontiac may want to consider increasing the production levels, just like they did for the 1964 GTO. See my post at: Solstice Production Levels: Let's hope history rhymes! http://solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1799

From one of the other motor companies, 1964 saw marked orders for their Falcon based machine: 121,538 [source http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/93320/article.html] including 28,833 convertibles. Year 2 in 1965 went to 73,112 convertibles and 559,451 total units [edmunds.com].

·
5,600 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
If the demand is any indication, Pontiac may want to consider increasing the production levels, just like they did for the 1964 GTO.
1st year demand is going to be insane. $40,000 looks for $20,000. Who wouldn't desire one, at least on an emotional level.

As to your point, I thought the slow process of hydroforming body panels was the critical path for Solstice production. Can they even produce more than 30,000 units a year at Wilmington?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Donuts may have helped!

I was at my dealer by 8:30am CENTRAL (minnesota time!), 9:30am Eastern. Brought in BIG pastries (apple fritters, bear claws, etc.) for the New Car salespeople, my laptop and some work to get done.

Worked from the waiting room all morning. Everyone (salesman, F&I Manager and New Car Manager) told me I would be the first to be entered into the system, since I had my deposit down for a month.

Some Jackass came off the street to buy one and another guy came in too! Plus the dealer had two of its own attempts to get the Solstice. So my dealer was trying to max out his 5 Solstices. I'm guessing EVERY Dealer tried this and that may have been the problem. Plus all three were working to get into the system on three separate computers!

After about 30 minutes of climbing the walls, I gave up. I told them to keep at it and call me when they knew. 15 minutes later they called me and told me I was in! They will fax me all the paper work. They said they got three of theirs ordered so they have two remaining on a wait list.

I'm not trusting anything until GM calls me. What a Joke! This is an insult! The way this was carried out was absolutely childish! I'm pissed and I got one! Pontiac could have sold 3,000 cars TODAY, in one hour...maybe even more if they had the system up and running. If I'm not truly an EOP winner, than I will kindly ask for my refund and walk out of the Dealership. What a joke!

RadRiv

·
Registered
504 Posts
:thumbs:got it,will drive it till it doesn't go no mo :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
RADRIV said:
Pontiac could have sold 3,000 cars TODAY, in one hour...maybe even more if they had the system up and running. If I'm not truly an EOP winner, than I will kindly ask for my refund and walk out of the Dealership. What a joke!

RadRiv
Dude, what's the difference between an EOP car and regular allocation? A special badge, VIN number, a certifcate and a model car.

That's it.

Keep a little perspective here. Pontiac did sell more than 3000 cars today. Being on the wait list means you still get one , probably only weeks behind the EOP cars. The EOP "winners" moment of glory will be very short lived, and a year or two from now almost no one will give a crap about the EOP cars. I would keep your deposit at the dealer, it will give you leverage to get one at MSRP or maybe even better if you can guilt trip them. If you leave, your odds are much worse and they will sell the car, so boycotting will not accomplish a thing.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
AeroDave is absolutly correct, in a few weeks this will be a thing of the past, so keep your emotions in check and go and get the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Miata Man said:
achieftain,
I ran into the same problem as you. My order was finally confirmed at 2:35:20. I'm too old for this. This was like having a stress test. Let me know when your car finally arrives, we're close enough to each other that a road trip is in order. ;)

Miata Man and achieftain,
I got mine at 2:40, too close for comfort.
I live just east of Columbus,Ohio lifelong STEELER FAN , I would certainly be up for a roadtrip to PA. I think a trio of Solstice (black one here) would spice up any establishment we could gather at. let me know. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2:42.37 outside Erie, after wondering what thr F*** was going on and hoping that Bob was trying to get one too although we know he has his choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts