Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a Solstice today...I don't know if this is my first post here, as I've been lurking for a while. I pick it up this weekend. 2007 Solstice GXP - Silver - other than that, not much to say. Low mileage, the husband of a local elderly couple bought it new for his wife's birthday, and she doesn't want to drive it anymore. I was looking for one in this condition for a long time (without breaking the bank) - only 33,000 miles. I look forward to it being my summer commuter. I'll post pictures when I take possession....I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions then.

No current codes, but the owner did disclose that he had a battery code, and replace the battery. Newish-OEM tires were put on it. Engine bay clean as a whistle, no signs of leaking. No mods other than the center console bag that was sold at dealers as an accessory. No corrosion. Was told radiator was flushed, and oil was changed prior to listing, but I'm going to change all fluids next week anyway. Pulled the car fax, and found the build date sticker (late 2007 model year). No issues, all paper work from local Pontiac, now GMC/Buick dealership. All recalls up to date. Drove like a new car, and got a mechanic friend's blessing. Drives like I remember the new test drive I took 13 years ago, before my wife told me she was pregnant with my first son. I'm not sure there is anything else I should/haven't check?

No real options, outside premium package. Does have the headliner. Standard radio, not monsoon. 6 speakers. Not even sure if it has XM radio (is there a way to check if its' the standard U1C radio CD, or the US8 single CD/MP3 radio with XM?) No On-star (don't know if that's good or bad, as I wouldn't mind adding an auto dimming mirror, with homelink).

I would like to add heated seats, a touch screen/back up camera/bluetooth and a wind deflector. Other than I'll probably leave the engine stock, and much of the rest of it stock. Maybe add some leather bits on the interior to upscale it a bit (I know a guy), and possibly a DM Works cup holder center console. I've done similar jobs on other cars like this before (including help renovate a Porsche 944 with my uncle when I was in HS and am looking forward to getting rid of some built up elbow grease).

Don't want to make this a track monster, just want something fun that I can make my own and commute back roads during the nice mid-Mchigan weather months. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to the years of experience on this forum for helping me make this purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
have fun !

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Welcome - look forward to your impressions after you drive it a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome
Leave it stock.
When you start modding it can get out of hand. Trust me. I know.
I'm going to leave it as much stock as I can, especially mechanically. I actually like the way it handles/rides,and I think the power is enough for me...anything more would be a waste on me I think. However, tWife, wants me to add some creature comforts so I may pulling some things apart over the next year or two.

Speaking of light modifications, what are the "must do" things, or must have accessories to keep it in tip top shape for a long as possible. I'm talking small simple things like the Kappa Blanket I've seen mentioned in here, or there was a thread about adding some fasteners to the inside of the trunk to keep it off the corners of the top. Things like that.

My wife had a VW EOS a while ago, and I used to have to refresh the rubber seals for their ultra complicated roof device yearly with DuPont Krytox, and I think I still have a tube of it somewhere...would that be ok for the Solstice's roof seal/rubber? I never had issues with it, but I know some in the VW communities have. Is there something better recommended?

·
Premium Member
10,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: maddenry

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm going to leave it as much stock as I can, especially mechanically.
GM offered a GMPP tune for the car. It is not the best bang for the buck. But it does come under the heading of "stock parts". 290 bhp in a 2980 lb Sol GXP is nice. So is 340 lb-ft on a curve that only goes up.

But... you owe us a photo of your GXP.

Reactions: maddenry

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Reactions: granliday

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GM offered a GMPP tune for the car. It is not the best bang for the buck. But it does come under the heading of "stock parts". 290 bhp in a 2980 lb Sol GXP is nice. So is 340 lb-ft on a curve that only goes up.

But... you owe us a photo of your GXP.
I’ll get a nice photo - I pick it up Friday (and won’t be able to get it registered/transferred till Monday due to backlog at SoS...)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I acquired a Solstice today...I don't know if this is my first post here, as I've been lurking for a while. I pick it up this weekend. 2007 Solstice GXP - Silver - other than that, not much to say. Low mileage, the husband of a local elderly couple bought it new for his wife's birthday, and she doesn't want to drive it anymore. I was looking for one in this condition for a long time (without breaking the bank) - only 33,000 miles. I look forward to it being my summer commuter. I'll post pictures when I take possession....I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions then.

No current codes, but the owner did disclose that he had a battery code, and replace the battery. Newish-OEM tires were put on it. Engine bay clean as a whistle, no signs of leaking. No mods other than the center console bag that was sold at dealers as an accessory. No corrosion. Was told radiator was flushed, and oil was changed prior to listing, but I'm going to change all fluids next week anyway. Pulled the car fax, and found the build date sticker (late 2007 model year). No issues, all paper work from local Pontiac, now GMC/Buick dealership. All recalls up to date. Drove like a new car, and got a mechanic friend's blessing. Drives like I remember the new test drive I took 13 years ago, before my wife told me she was pregnant with my first son. I'm not sure there is anything else I should/haven't check?

No real options, outside premium package. Does have the headliner. Standard radio, not monsoon. 6 speakers. Not even sure if it has XM radio (is there a way to check if its' the standard U1C radio CD, or the US8 single CD/MP3 radio with XM?) No On-star (don't know if that's good or bad, as I wouldn't mind adding an auto dimming mirror, with homelink).

I would like to add heated seats, a touch screen/back up camera/bluetooth and a wind deflector. Other than I'll probably leave the engine stock, and much of the rest of it stock. Maybe add some leather bits on the interior to upscale it a bit (I know a guy), and possibly a DM Works cup holder center console. I've done similar jobs on other cars like this before (including help renovate a Porsche 944 with my uncle when I was in HS and am looking forward to getting rid of some built up elbow grease).

Don't want to make this a track monster, just want something fun that I can make my own and commute back roads during the nice mid-Mchigan weather months. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to the years of experience on this forum for helping me make this purchase.
Sounds like you got yourself a great deal...enjoy!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Congratulations! I was a "muscle car maniac" for a long time, always trying to beat 12 sec in the 1/4 mile. Got my Sol almost a year ago, and it's been an eye-opener. Not as comfortable as some might be, but for just driving that's lots of fun, I think it's great. And warm enough in AL to drive it pretty much year round! Have fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a great find.....5 speed or automatic?
it’s an automatic. :cry: I have a bad foot that has nerve damage from an old injury (still got pins and plate keeping it together) that I loose feeling in from time to time, and I don’t feel safe driving with a 3rd pedal anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What was the price you paid If you don’t mind
10,500 - was shopping for a while (8-9 months) and jumped on this because it was local.

Could not find a GXP with an auto under 12 within 500 miles... and lost out on a few because I was trying to go the extra mile from a distance. May have overpaid a little, but it is so clean. Demand seems to be up, and if a low mileage example comes for sale it’s not for sale long if it’s priced below 11.5k or so...at least not in the Midwest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations! I was a "muscle car maniac" for a long time, always trying to beat 12 sec in the 1/4 mile. Got my Sol almost a year ago, and it's been an eye-opener. Not as comfortable as some might be, but for just driving that's lots of fun, I think it's great. And warm enough in AL to drive it pretty much year round! Have fun!
I’ve wanted a roadster since I was a kid, and I watched an uncle restor a old Jag XK140...loved riding in that thing and yearn for that feeling. In addition to being from a long line of GM employees way back to the sit down strikes, the Solstice was the closet modern car I could find that combines the style and power of an XK140 (at least that I could afford).

When we’re talking modern interpretations of classic British roadsters, The Miata is more inline with an MGB -The Solstice is more in line with the classic XK Jags. I think I still have the diecast model of the XK140 he gave me for Christmas somewhere.

The uncle eventually sold the XK when he was Transferred to Germany (where he bought a brand new air cooled 911) so who knows where it is now.

Granted, I love muscle cars too...68 Olds 442 Convertible is way up on my list, but there’s nothing like the feeling of the road that a British style (with an American flair!) roadster gives me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts