Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have promised Pictures:

How the heck does one post a picture?? I’ll get better ones when I can actually drive it...couldnt get a SoS appointment till Monday.

On the way home from pick up I was behind this old codger in a Corvair convertible.

today I installed a radio/harness package I bought from Crutchfield, highly recommended
Definitely - I’ve used them for other things...can’t

Attachments

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
You've posted a lot of pictures. My arms are tired from turning my monitor over and over to view them, but you've posted a lot of pictures!

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I acquired a Solstice today...I don't know if this is my first post here, as I've been lurking for a while. I pick it up this weekend. 2007 Solstice GXP - Silver - other than that, not much to say. Low mileage, the husband of a local elderly couple bought it new for his wife's birthday, and she doesn't want to drive it anymore. I was looking for one in this condition for a long time (without breaking the bank) - only 33,000 miles. I look forward to it being my summer commuter. I'll post pictures when I take possession....I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions then.

No current codes, but the owner did disclose that he had a battery code, and replace the battery. Newish-OEM tires were put on it. Engine bay clean as a whistle, no signs of leaking. No mods other than the center console bag that was sold at dealers as an accessory. No corrosion. Was told radiator was flushed, and oil was changed prior to listing, but I'm going to change all fluids next week anyway. Pulled the car fax, and found the build date sticker (late 2007 model year). No issues, all paper work from local Pontiac, now GMC/Buick dealership. All recalls up to date. Drove like a new car, and got a mechanic friend's blessing. Drives like I remember the new test drive I took 13 years ago, before my wife told me she was pregnant with my first son. I'm not sure there is anything else I should/haven't check?

No real options, outside premium package. Does have the headliner. Standard radio, not monsoon. 6 speakers. Not even sure if it has XM radio (is there a way to check if its' the standard U1C radio CD, or the US8 single CD/MP3 radio with XM?) No On-star (don't know if that's good or bad, as I wouldn't mind adding an auto dimming mirror, with homelink).

I would like to add heated seats, a touch screen/back up camera/bluetooth and a wind deflector. Other than I'll probably leave the engine stock, and much of the rest of it stock. Maybe add some leather bits on the interior to upscale it a bit (I know a guy), and possibly a DM Works cup holder center console. I've done similar jobs on other cars like this before (including help renovate a Porsche 944 with my uncle when I was in HS and am looking forward to getting rid of some built up elbow grease).

Don't want to make this a track monster, just want something fun that I can make my own and commute back roads during the nice mid-Mchigan weather months. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to the years of experience on this forum for helping me make this purchase.
We are in the same boat, I just picked up a 2007 GXP. So far a great little car. It looks like there are a ton of upgrades to these!! Enjoy yours!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We are in the same boat, I just picked up a 2007 GXP. So far a great little car. It looks like there are a ton of upgrades to these!! Enjoy yours!!
Spent the weekend changing fluids (mechanic friend did brake/radiator - one more check of the water pump, I did power steering, and engine oil. Decided to leave the transmission and rear dif alone for now. Checked the diff, the seal appeared to be in good shape, no signs of any leaking...very clean.) - the car was sitting for a year, the previous owner had the battery replaced to sell it, but nothing else really done. Finally got it registered and plated on Monday. The wife and I put 100 miles on it already. It really is a fun car (and a bit more practical than I thought...but in a different way:

I drove it to work today, and it just made me feel good. I work in a non-clinical role at a Hospital...so work has been pretty stressfu. Going in - even on a cool cloudy grey mid-Michigan morning was therapeutic. I hope the ride home (when the sun is supposed to be out) is just as therapeutic and helps in my ability to separate work from home. That mental health boost, in addition to the better gas mileage (much better than my Silverado, or the older Jeep Grand Cherokee I've been driving) and the fact that I can find a decent parking spot for compact cars has got to be worth some practicality points! Does in my mind at least.

The only issue is my Contigo Coffee cup doesn't exactly fit either of the cup holders...and I need my AM coffee. I'm thinking about a DMWorks center console cup holder...maybe wrap it in some fabric for an elbow pad as well. But if there is a quicker, less expensive option (maybe one of those cubby things that slide between the center console and seat? I don't think there is enough room though), I'm all ears on that one.

Might want to wrap the door inserts in a little more padding with...or get something...may also get a right knee pad, but those are minor things. Eventually (this winter when it's garaged) I'll probably add a bluetooth stereo and backup camera, but right now, I'm just gonna enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I acquired a Solstice today...I don't know if this is my first post here, as I've been lurking for a while. I pick it up this weekend. 2007 Solstice GXP - Silver - other than that, not much to say. Low mileage, the husband of a local elderly couple bought it new for his wife's birthday, and she doesn't want to drive it anymore. I was looking for one in this condition for a long time (without breaking the bank) - only 33,000 miles. I look forward to it being my summer commuter. I'll post pictures when I take possession....I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions then.

No current codes, but the owner did disclose that he had a battery code, and replace the battery. Newish-OEM tires were put on it. Engine bay clean as a whistle, no signs of leaking. No mods other than the center console bag that was sold at dealers as an accessory. No corrosion. Was told radiator was flushed, and oil was changed prior to listing, but I'm going to change all fluids next week anyway. Pulled the car fax, and found the build date sticker (late 2007 model year). No issues, all paper work from local Pontiac, now GMC/Buick dealership. All recalls up to date. Drove like a new car, and got a mechanic friend's blessing. Drives like I remember the new test drive I took 13 years ago, before my wife told me she was pregnant with my first son. I'm not sure there is anything else I should/haven't check?

No real options, outside premium package. Does have the headliner. Standard radio, not monsoon. 6 speakers. Not even sure if it has XM radio (is there a way to check if its' the standard U1C radio CD, or the US8 single CD/MP3 radio with XM?) No On-star (don't know if that's good or bad, as I wouldn't mind adding an auto dimming mirror, with homelink).

I would like to add heated seats, a touch screen/back up camera/bluetooth and a wind deflector. Other than I'll probably leave the engine stock, and much of the rest of it stock. Maybe add some leather bits on the interior to upscale it a bit (I know a guy), and possibly a DM Works cup holder center console. I've done similar jobs on other cars like this before (including help renovate a Porsche 944 with my uncle when I was in HS and am looking forward to getting rid of some built up elbow grease).

Don't want to make this a track monster, just want something fun that I can make my own and commute back roads during the nice mid-Mchigan weather months. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to the years of experience on this forum for helping me make this purchase.
Sounds like you got yourselves a real winner! I have onstar installed but never renewed it when I bought the car used. as it is a waste. If I get stuck I have AAA and a local mechanic who will travel a great distance to help me out. I use Mobil 1 oil in mine and find it last longer than regular oil. Good luck s you are gonna love

I would leave the machine stock all the way as it will bring a better price should you have to sell it. I use Mobil 1 oil and love it. I have Onstar but never renewed it when I bought mine used...seems like a waste of money and when you touch the rear view mirror wrong Onstar goes on and you have to cancel, and if you are driving you have to pull over. Upu are gonna love this car!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts