Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word is that GM wants to move away from rebates with many of their new models - a combination of greatly improving the quality and value of their vehicles, and realisticly pricing them in the market.

I would have to say, looking at the specs for the Solstice, the $20k expected starting price, and the expected performance, I am betting that GM will not be offering rebates any time soon.

Overall, this is good for GM, as they surely have taken a lot of heat in the press about rebates lately.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That fits well with the whole idea of niche vehicles. You don't need to produce 200k or 300k of them a year to make a profit. You don't need to keep feeding a huge assembly line with large fixed costs by discounting cars.

It should be easier to produce a number of vehicles that more closely matches demand at the given price.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Agree no rebates. In fact in might be tough to also pay MSRP if demand if high some dealers might tack on extra :banghead

I can get GM supplier discount and I'm hoping that applies to Solstice because some niche vehicles are excluded :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
what about GM card discounts?

I hope they will offer these! I've been saving my rebates now for about a year and a half and so far there's been nothing I've wanted to use them on. I hope they at least apply the card discount to the Solstice if they don't do any other rebates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yea i hope they let you use your discount like the GM card and my step dad works for GM so i will get that off. I am hoping that i will be able to get the car with the factory S/C for under 25,000$ and i know a friend at the delarship who said he will keep me informed and try to give me a deal on the car so i hope that GM keeps the price low because i really want this car and it is actually in my price range and it looks good and its got good sports car pontential with just a little money put into it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
if you are talking about credit card reward programs that money is kicked in by the credit card company so that would apply. I have a general "drivers edge" card which applies to any car and I'm certain that would apply.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, mine's a MasterCard that's sponsored by GM. I get 5% of any purchase on the card applied to a GM vehicle. They put limits on how much you can apply towards each vehicle, but I think pretty much all cars are applicable, except for like the Vette and the SSR and SAAB and Saturn vehicles. I've got like $1500 saved, so that should help offset any extra goodies I want to add on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming you have a standard GM card, I believe it can be used on all models except Saturn and Saab - so even the Vette. I am sure the GM card will work for the Solstice also.

Oh - one thing on using the GM card - never mention you are planning to use it until you have negotiated your price. Otherwise the salesperson will try to include your earnings in the amount you are negotiating down, as if they are giving you the savings included. If you negotiate first, and then mention the card, this will not happen, and they are obligated to allow you to use these earnings on your purchase, saving you any more.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mitchpin12 said:
yea i hope they let you use your discount like the GM card and my step dad works for GM so i will get that off. I am hoping that i will be able to get the car with the factory S/C for under 25,000$ and i know a friend at the delarship who said he will keep me informed and try to give me a deal on the car so i hope that GM keeps the price low because i really want this car and it is actually in my price range and it looks good and its got good sports car pontential with just a little money put into it.
i work for GM, too, and i hope i can get my discount. thing is, its up to the individual dealer wether or not they want to accept it. they are not obligated to honor it. in my area, GM allowed a discount on vettes for 2 years before any dealer would let you have it.

dealers dont actually pay for a car until it is sold. so when they sell with a discount, they then buy it at a reduced price with a set profit. the profit, is ofcourse, smaller than a typical sale, so there is not much incentive for them to honor the discount on a hot car. so, im going to do my best to get pics of my local pontiac dealership owner with a hooker so that i can get my discount. its only fair, right? :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
mceb said:
if you are talking about credit card reward programs that money is kicked in by the credit card company so that would apply. I have a general "drivers edge" card which applies to any car and I'm certain that would apply.
i have one of those. iirc, the money youve earned is not available at the time of sale. you get it after the sale as a rebate upon proof of sale.

edit: actually, mine doesnt say GM on it. its just a citibank DE card. so, maybe what i said only applies to me. in fact, im probably right about being wrong as, iirc, i can use my rebate on any make.

dammit

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006solstice said:
Word is that GM wants to move away from rebates with many of their new models - a combination of greatly improving the quality and value of their vehicles, and realisticly pricing them in the market.

I would have to say, looking at the specs for the Solstice, the $20k expected starting price, and the expected performance, I am betting that GM will not be offering rebates any time soon.

Overall, this is good for GM, as they surely have taken a lot of heat in the press about rebates lately.
You can rest assured there will be no rebates. Most dealers will be pricing over sticker. Although not all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mceb said:
Agree no rebates. In fact in might be tough to also pay MSRP if demand if high some dealers might tack on extra :banghead

I can get GM supplier discount and I'm hoping that applies to Solstice because some niche vehicles are excluded :(
Usually supplier discount is not available on a new production car for a least the first year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts