Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have advice on which wind deflector to buy for the Solstice. I understand that there are some scammers out there.
Who is best to deal with?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can't go wrong with this one:

·
Super Moderator
6,473 Posts
Like the looks of wind restrictors but have always wondered, do they actually work?
The only actual wind reduction I have experienced is with the windows up, and even then it isn't much. Others have been happy with the result though, so it could depend on where you are in the car. Since I won't put the windows up with the top down....

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I've got one and to be honest I don't see any difference with or without .I'm actually going to remove mine this spring as I see no use for it .
I feel like mine does help with wind a little bit, but I mostly just like mine for the looks. With that being said I sometimes wonder if it's worth the hassle. That hassle being how it screws with me while driving. The reflections I see on it at night are enough to completely fool my brain while driving. Headlights coming at me reflect off the tinted windscreen straight to my rear view mirror, so it looks like theres people behind me even though there's no one there. Even during the day there's reflections.

But for now the look of it outweighs the problems that it creates while driving.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Like the looks of wind restrictors but have always wondered, do they actually work?
My experience is that they absolutely DO work - but as others have said, you have to have your windows up. It creates a "bubble" of positive air pressure so the majority of the air passes overhead. HOWEVER, the direction and intensity of winds can reduce or even negate the effect.

With the windows down it actually makes the turbulence worse.

I can base my comments on the "ear test". My ears can be sensitive to pressure changes and the "buffeting" of the air with the top down became very uncomfortable on all but the shortest drives. With the Windrestrictor I can go long distances with minimal irritation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I
Does anyone have advice on which wind deflector to buy for the Solstice. I understand that there are some scammers out there.
Who is best to deal with?
just installed one today that I bought brand new off e-bay for $81, and it was the only ones on there that are tinted, it's very well made and easy to install if you can get the 4 factory phillips head screws out that mount it without stripping the head out on them as they are in very tight, this deflector can stay on even with the convertible top up as it won't interfere, very happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You cant go wrong with the Kappashield, I guess by DDM. installed mine in 2006 and was told to apply a small clear silicone button near the top so it doesn't rub the elements of the rear window defogger/deicer. Is there a switch for that.....never used it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I

just installed one today that I bought brand new off e-bay for $81, and it was the only ones on there that are tinted, it's very well made and easy to install if you can get the 4 factory phillips head screws out that mount it without stripping the head out on them as they are in very tight, this deflector can stay on even with the convertible top up as it won't interfere, very happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a thought. Had a challenging time doing the screws from the back, so I climbed in the cockpit and did them from there. Much easier to get torque on the screwdriver! Make sure you have the right sized bit on the screwdriver or you will strip the threads.

·
Super Moderator
6,473 Posts
Here's a thought. Had a challenging time doing the screws from the back, so I climbed in the cockpit and did them from there. Much easier to get torque on the screwdriver! Make sure you have the right sized bit on the screwdriver or you will strip the threads.
Just don't kneel in the passenger seat while you do it. That is thought by many to contribute to the failure of the airbag Passenger Seat Sensor.

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
I have five of the Windrestrictors

I have tested them in the mountains on a cold day. With the WR in place and the windows up the cold air hits me about two inches below the top of my head. Without the WR in place, I get flooded with cold air down my back and lots of turbulent air. I am 5 11. If you are shorter you get more protection. If taller, you may get less protection.

I have tenuities and wind noise makes my ears go nuts. I always have the windows up above about 40MPH and find the protection good and readily apparent. My lovely wife of 52 years will NOT ride in the car with the top down with the WR in position.

Having said that, even if the WR has no functional purpose, the decoration value is enough to justify the price. I have five because they have different custom greaphics on each to fit different uses. Patriotic, PunisheR, Green Dragon etc.

I highly recommend them. Get several!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
You cant go wrong with the Kappashield, I guess by DDM. installed mine in 2006 and was told to apply a small clear silicone button near the top so it doesn't rub the elements of the rear window defogger/deicer. Is there a switch for that.....never used it!
Is there a switch for that? Never used mine either. If you find out, let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts