Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to know where the lower hose connects to the radiator, because the petcock seems like it would need to be replaced if I touch it so the next best thing is to just disconnect the lower hose to drain the coolant out of the system, if anyone can help me with this hopefully simple explanation it would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Turning the petcock opens it and turning it in the other direction closes it, no need to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning the petcock opens it and turning it in the other direction closes it, no need to replace.
Yea but it's really rough looking my grandfather wants me to drain it from the lower hose, if I don't do it his way he won't like that

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Yea but it's really rough looking my grandfather wants me to drain it from the lower hose, if I don't do it his way he won't like that
The lower hose is on the right side of the radiator and requires removing some of the shrouds to gain access. It is not all the way at the bottom of the radiator though and will not allow all of the water to drain. That plastic drain plug is your best bet. They sometimes look pretty beat up when pliers were used to loosen them but they will come out. There is a drain on the backside of the water pump which will drain all of the block but not the radiator. that drain is a steel bolt and should come out easily. If you have never drained or refilled coolant on a solstice, it can be a real PITA to get all the air out of the system. When refilling, you must remove the coolant reservoir from its mount and lift it up a few inches. Dont disconnect the reservoir hoses. once the reservoir is full, start the engine to get the reservoir to empty itself. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE. Don't let the engine get too hot. You may have to squeeze the radiator hoses, let the engine cool down, etc. several times to finally get all the air bubbles out. If you are going to change the thermostat, drill a small hole (about 1/8") in the thermostat to help get the air out. Do a search on the forum and you will find pictures and details on just how to do this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower hose is on the right side of the radiator and requires removing some of the shrouds to gain access. It is not all the way at the bottom of the radiator though and will not allow all of the water to drain. That plastic drain plug is your best bet. They sometimes look pretty beat up when pliers were used to loosen them but they will come out. There is a drain on the backside of the water pump which will drain all of the block but not the radiator. that drain is a steel bolt and should come out easily. If you have never drained or refilled coolant on a solstice, it can be a real PITA to get all the air out of the system. When refilling, you must remove the coolant reservoir from its mount and lift it up a few inches. Dont disconnect the reservoir hoses. once the reservoir is full, start the engine to get the reservoir to empty itself. WATCH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE. Don't let the engine get too hot. You may have to squeeze the radiator hoses, let the engine cool down, etc. several times to finally get all the air bubbles out. If you are going to change the thermostat, drill a small hole about 1/8" in the thermostat to help get the air out. Do a search on the forum and you will find pictures and details on just how to do this.

Good luck.
Thank you so much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts