Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled my daylight driving lights fuse but they still come on

I recently installed a morimotto HID headlights into my retro prjector headlight project.
I don't want my headlights coming on instantly and burning up my ballast. I read on hear you can just pull the #48 relay or pull the #49 fuse and it will stop them from coming on. Makes sence right. So I tried each one and the hids still come on. The kit I bought is a direct plug and play into factory harnesses. Can anyone help out on this issue? By the way I've been following this forum and have been a member for about 4 months now but this is first time I had to post a thread on a subject. You all are very knowledgeable and have helped me solve many questions I had from old threads. And am looking forward to being apart of this great community for quite some time.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
So, you're getting confused I think, between DRLs and Auto-on headlights. You can disable the DRLs by pulling the relay, but if you're starting the car in a dark place such as a garage, the auto-headlight function will fire the headlights.

The way to avoid this is, when you get in the car, turn the key to the first position (before the instruments all fire up) and immediately toggle the light switch to turn the auto lights off. Then you can turn the key to the next position and start the car. Once you're out on the road and the light sensor has had time to realise it's light out, you can switch the auto lights back on.

By the way, rather than disable the DRLs, you can switch them to the fog lights pretty easily (if you can solder). This will NOT obviate the above procedure though. See my post at: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/simple-reroute-drls-foglights-mod-hid-users-73671/

There is a way to disable the auto-headlight function too, if you really want. You have to replace the light sensor with a resistor that fools the car into thinking it's always bright out. There was a thread about it somewhere, but you'll have to search yourself.

Lastly, I have to say, why bother? The replacement bulbs are cheap nowadays, so even if the unnecessary lighting reduces their life, it's no real biggie.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just simply take a resistance reading on the sensor in daylight then another in the dark.You will know what resistor you need then go to rat shack and get what you need.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did notice that when i left work yesterday they did not come on at 5pm. Later that night after dark i went to verizon store and they did come on. but then why at 7am this morning did they come on again? Its plenty bright out and i manually turned them off and when i got to work which is only a 15 min drive i turned the drl on again just to check and see if sensor was registering daylight yet and they came back on again. thanks for the links to all the mentioned threads but i did however already see them when i searched this subject before posting this thread. That's how i read about pulling the fuse and or relay. I am gonna try the laminated business card inside the relay trick next to see if that makes a difference. otherwise just have to do like TomatoSoup suggested and just manually deactivate them before i actually start car which i wasn't aware you could do. i thought you had to start car first then deactivate them.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I did notice that when i left work yesterday they did not come on at 5pm. Later that night after dark i went to verizon store and they did come on. but then why at 7am this morning did they come on again? Its plenty bright out and i manually turned them off and when i got to work which is only a 15 min drive i turned the drl on again just to check and see if sensor was registering daylight yet and they came back on again.
Often what we think (with our eyes) is bright enough, may well not be bright enough in absolute terms to trigger auto lights OFF.

I am gonna try the laminated business card inside the relay trick next to see if that makes a difference. otherwise just have to do like TomatoSoup suggested and just manually deactivate them before i actually start car which i wasn't aware you could do. i thought you had to start car first then deactivate them.
Don't even bother! That will have no difference to simply removing the DRL relay. And in any case, it's not the DRL that's your issue (once you remove the relay), but the Auto-on headlights.

My advice is just forget about it and let them turn on (the bulbs're only $45 a pair and will last for years even with the excess wear! http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1250). Otherwise manually turn off each time.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I did notice that when i left work yesterday they did not come on at 5pm. Later that night after dark i went to verizon store and they did come on. but then why at 7am this morning did they come on again?
My "automatic" headlamps are on about 85% of the time. I honestly believe that my sensor is a little too sensative.... If I park in front of my house at 5:30 in a light shadow, the headlights come on...its ridiculous!

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's because you live in the land of gloom and everlasting darkness.

Or was that Houghton? I forget, it's been a long time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
So, you're getting confused I think, between DRLs and Auto-on headlights. You can disable the DRLs by pulling the relay, but if you're starting the car in a dark place such as a garage, the auto-headlight function will fire the headlights.

The way to avoid this is, when you get in the car, turn the key to the first position (before the instruments all fire up) and immediately toggle the light switch to turn the auto lights off. Then you can turn the key to the next position and start the car. Once you're out on the road and the light sensor has had time to realise it's light out, you can switch the auto lights back on.

By the way, rather than disable the DRLs, you can switch them to the fog lights pretty easily (if you can solder). This will NOT obviate the above procedure though. See my post at: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/simple-reroute-drls-foglights-mod-hid-users-73671/

There is a way to disable the auto-headlight function too, if you really want. You have to replace the light sensor with a resistor that fools the car into thinking it's always bright out. There was a thread about it somewhere, but you'll have to search yourself.

Lastly, I have to say, why bother? The replacement bulbs are cheap nowadays, so even if the unnecessary lighting reduces their life, it's no real biggie.
The Auto Light Off trick does not work for Canadian Vehicles. DRL is required by law so the moment you release your handbrake or shift out of P, auto light is back on.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
My "automatic" headlamps are on about 85% of the time. I honestly believe that my sensor is a little too sensative.... If I park in front of my house at 5:30 in a light shadow, the headlights come on...its ridiculous!
If it's a problem for you, you might be able to adjust them by putting a variable resistor in parallel with the sensor. You could then adjust it to lower the overall resistance enough to keep the main lights off until 'later'.

Note: This is a theory, I have never tried it. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So ddl lights are off I guess its just night time auto lights that are coming on, even in morning. Sorry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reviving an old thread here but has anyone found a way to disable the DRL's on a Canadian car? I recently blacked out my headlight to obtain the Street Edition look and added LED's inside the bezel housing. I've wired the LED'S to be powered from a "switched" spare fuse in the passenger's footwell. I want the LED's to be the only illumination (no low beam headlights) and to act as the DRL but the only way I can get the DRL to turn off is with the emergency brake on and manually turn the Auto Lights off. Once the emergency brake is released, the headlights come back on. Is there any way possible to disable the DRL feature on a Canadian car?
Thank in advance for the suggestions!

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a way, but it can get complicated. You can disable the DRL by pulling the relay or fuse, but that does nothing about the auto-on headlights. You can replace the light sensor on the dash with a resistor that tricks the auto-on circuit into thinking that its always daytime out. That way works, but the downside is that the gauges will never dim, even if you manually turn the lights on. The auto-on circuit controls the gauge (and stereo) dimming. If that doesn't bother you, that's the easy solution. The complicated solution requires a spare light sensor and a relay. Basically you wire up the sensor and a resistor to the relay to be controlled by the headlight power. That way when the lights are off it thinks its daytime and the car keeps them off, when its dark and you manually turn the lights on it will read the light sensor and decide whether or not to dim the gauges. It is very difficult to remove and reinstall the sensor into the dashboard unless you have tiny contortionist hands, I spent over an hour fighting with mine. If you want the circuit diagram to make it all work I can draw it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
There is a purple jumper wire that connects terminal D5 to terminal B5 in connector X3 under the underhood fuse block. Cut that jumper and the DRLs will be disabled. Better yet, use the connection from D5 to power your LEDs so that you will have automatic DRLs and avoid the toggle switch.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I believe that most state motor vehicle laws require daylight driving lights after a certain manufacturing date and disabling them can lead to violations as well as inspection issues where inspections are required.

I can turn mine off by pushing the fog light button, so the fog lights are on instead. This must be done each time the car is started. It does not affect the auto headlight function at night.
Unless I misunderstood what the poster was trying to accomplish, this will turn off the daylight driving lights and comply with state laws.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts