Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Looks really nice. I really like the three side air vents that actually look like they might be functional since they have mesh in them.

One major disapointment though. It has no damn roof!!! I'm begining to think GM forgot to build the roof :D Was hoping for a glimps at what the Solstice roof might look like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im starting to think they have NO IDEA how they are gonna get a roof on any of these roadsters. I say just rework the hardtop from the SSR and throw that on there. Wouldn't that be cool if the top could be a parts bin thing, lmao, not likely but it would keep costs down.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I grabbed a quick meal with my "source" a few days ago. I asked her/him about the roof.

"BWUUUUAAAAHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHAAAAA!! You'll just have to wait and see," was the reply. "What's the matter, didn't you see the pictures in AutoWeek?"

My follow-on was, "have you seen it? The real convertible top?"

The reply: :smile

and, "could you pass the ketchup?"

I don't know what that means.

Another reason why concept cars are not so easy to slip right into production... many people can make a topless car.

I just hope they don't abandon the KISS principle and end up with something that requires someone who knows how to program a VCR to operate.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
BTW, answered on the other post, but the Velite is a Zeta platform vehicle.

Hey, kenep59, it says you live in pinckney. Haven't you seen any of the vehicles near you? I hear they make their way around lots of areas in SE Michigan, including Hamburg and Pinckney.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Looks nice enough, but no Solstice. It looks too much like the Lexus it wants to compete with. As to the top, in a car like this it has to be a retractable hard top. That's the standard now in luxury roadsters. It should also be V8 I MHO.

Like the boat tail rear end idea, but they should shapen it up to look more like the '72 Riviera, that would be cool. They should also tone down the grill so it doesn't look so much like an electric shaver. Go with horizontal headlights to give it a lower, meaner look.

Anyhow, I'm sure this concept will go the way of the Curve, Sky and Bengal.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I agree with you mostly, AeroDave, but I like the idea of a turbo/intercooled V6. Reminiscent (sp?) of a Grand National/GNX.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Looks good. I can picture it parked next to a Solstice (matching colors of course). :thumbs
:rant
I know it's a show car but..
It has taken my pet peeve to the extreme! It has no visible engine!
http://www.highresautoimages.com/1280/buick/velite15.html

Why do they insist on hiding all the "dirty bits"? More and more production cars get the "underhood style treatment" with stylized Tuperware! This car has so much, you can't even check the oil level! It's like opening the refridgerator door and having to dismantle an inner door just to get a beer! What purpose does it serve? What happened to form follows function, especilly under the hood?!? :banghead

I might be shooting myself in the foot 'cuz I work long hours making the plastic pellets that eventually are molded to make these darn things but I've recently had to chase down a broken fuel injector wire that was chafed by the "style cover".

·
Registered
535 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I might be shooting myself in the foot 'cuz I work long hours making the plastic pellets that eventually are molded to make these darn things but I've recently had to chase down a broken fuel injector wire that was chafed by the "style cover".
Would that be Solvay, Dow or one of the big guys?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Looks good. I can picture it parked next to a Solstice (matching colors of course). :thumbs
:rant
I know it's a show car but..
It has taken my pet peeve to the extreme! It has no visible engine!
http://www.highresautoimages.com/1280/buick/velite15.html

Why do they insist on hiding all the "dirty bits"? More and more production cars get the "underhood style treatment" with stylized Tuperware! This car has so much, you can't even check the oil level! It's like opening the refridgerator door and having to dismantle an inner door just to get a beer! What purpose does it serve? What happened to form follows function, especilly under the hood?!? :banghead

I completely agree with your rant. The cover was the first thing to go in the trash when I brought home my GTP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw Autoweek

I saw Autoweek and I can't imagine them putting that RAG on the Solstice. The look was enough to make one choke on their Cocoa Crispies! The cars in Autoweek were definitely mock ups for production test and looked like they took some old Corvette tops, that were collecting dust, and jury rigged the things onto the car. But, I have to whole-heartally agree with the SSR drop top idea. I'd love a convertible hard top. Hell, they put one on the T-Bird Re-mistake, I mean remake.

I also have to remember that most of you guys are pretty hard core compared to me. Hell, I bought an Aztek and I loved my Grand Prix. The closest thing I owned to a sports car was a Sunfire Coupe! But I'm old now, and have disposable cash! The gray in those bills match the gray in my hair. But some lucky chicky will drive with me in my Solstice...don't tell my wife.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
kenep59 said:
I have to whole-heartally agree with the SSR drop top idea. I'd love a convertible hard top. Hell, they put one on the T-Bird Re-mistake, I mean remake.
Actually, the T-bird has a traditional soft top. The hard tops you see around town are actually removable hard tops. It would have been cool if Ford had put a retractable hard top on the T-bird, since they pretty much (I know, I know, there was once a Peugot in the '40s) invented the concept.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
kenep59 said:
I also have to remember that most of you guys are pretty hard core compared to me. Hell, I bought an Aztek and I loved my Grand Prix. The closest thing I owned to a sports car was a Sunfire Coupe! But I'm old now, and have disposable cash! The gray in those bills match the gray in my hair. But some lucky chicky will drive with me in my Solstice...don't tell my wife.

Wow, two Aztek owners in one forum! Who would have thought.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You guys would be happy in Vermont, I saw tons of Aztecs up there while I was on vacation last week.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
brentil said:
You guys would be happy in Vermont, I saw tons of Aztecs up there while I was on vacation last week.
They must be big with the nature set, they were THICK at the Grand Canyon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts