Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

I did it on Valentines Day

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Northern Sol 
#1 ·
I couldn't stand it. Some of you may remember my wife bought me my favourite 09 GXP Coupe for my Birthday in January. It wasn't delivered until the first of Feb. I washed it, I sat in it. I even took conference calls from work in it.

Today I decided I couldn't wonder any more. I have never driven the car except 1 foot forward and 3 feet back in the garage. The roads were dry, and clear. No obvious signs of salt or sand. I took it out for a short trip that turned out to be a 40 minute drive as I got used to driving a stick again. It is downright peppy, and I can't wait to see what a little heat in the tires will do.

I came home to find my wife waiting in the garage. It's time to wash it again and put it away until April. It now has 1,070 KM or 664 miles on it. I was NOT dissappointed.

John

#2 ·
i'd be tempted too, but my Sol is not stored at the house. I smiled when you said 'turned out to be a 40 minute drive'...

#3 ·
Congrats. I remember the odd heat wave we had in Michigan in January. Had 56 degrees and a LOT of rain on a Saturday. That night my wife said "I was just wondering . . . "

Told her I was already planning on taking the Solstice out, as all the snow was melted and the heavy rain would have washed the salt off the roads. It was still a little wet and sloppy (we live on a dirt road) but she was all smiles driving to and from town. I broke out the hose when we got home and just about started to wash it when I thought "Wait a minute, I haven't driven this yet!

She heard me start it back up, popped her head out of the door and said "Can I come with you?"

Hopefully that will tide us both over for a while.

#4 ·
Upper 60's and sunny here for V-Day. Dropped the top and took the MUCH better half out for some Thai Scallops. She's EXTREMELY cold-natured but was fine for the ride.

#7 ·
Where are you located, John?

I drive mine year round (unless it snows, which is rare here), but if you are in the snow belt there sure isn't much point exposing it to possible danger from other drivers, plus the stock GXP tires aren't going to get you far!

#10 ·
London, Ontario is where he is. He mentioned it in his other thread.
I am hoping that spring comes in March to southern Ontario and I get my Sol on the road by mid March. Last two winters I have had her on the road at the beginning of March. This year has been a bit more wintery hence my call for mid March.:thumbs:

#11 ·
Weather was great here yesterday, mid 60’s and dry so I took my wife to dinner in the Coupe last night. :thumbs:

#15 ·
lol. 'tsall relative. Southern Ontario = Northern California.

When I worked in the Detroit area people would talk about going "up north" for the weekend and they would be talking about St. Johns or Bay City. I had to clarify that "anything past 16 mile isn't 'north' - you have a half of the lower peninsula and all of the upper peninsula still to go!"

#18 ·
It has been in the 80's here in Tampa, FL. Been driving top down all winter so far. I know it is tough living here, but somebody has to do it. :)

#21 ·
Here is a photo of my Ford Edge after a light dusting of snow that Northern Sol and I got just the week before. Now you can see why we put our Sol's to sleep until this white stuff is gone. North Eastern States got it a lot worse than us. Flights cancelled all over the place. :brentil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.