Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last I finally found a desirable 'donor' Solstice, it all came together this weekend.

For almost 2 years I've been searching for a Mallett / Solstice conversion to purchase, but alas, to no avail.
The only cars to come up were either ridden hard and put away wet, or had monster LS7 engines with Turbos, etc.

Not really streetable or desirable in my mind at this point in life....

Finally came across a 2006 Black and Tan base Solstice with the manual 5 speed. Identical to the one I bought my wife in 2007, but sold in 2014 when we relocated to Tennessee from Michigan.

Under 4,000 miles on the Odo! She was a Florida vehicle which wound up (somehow) at a 'B' Used Car Lot in New Jersey.

Once I take possession she will be personally delivered to Chuck Mallett's shop in North Carolina for conversion!

I'm excited and happy my quest is finally coming to fruition! I'll let you know when the project is completed
BTW....her name is Mina II.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Glad you found the car you were looking for but I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but here goes . As many on the forum know I've been a big fan of Mallet Solstices but Chuck has a miserable reputation in the car community he has filled for bankruptcy twice and left a more than a few customers holding the bag .My personal experience goes back to when I was trying to buy one of his cars from a private owner the car had an issue with the throttle hanging up ,I sent emails called the shop and never got a response and I've been to his shop when he was in Berea Ohio . A guy I used to work with dad's car was in the shop in North Carolina getting a Hammer conversion the car was never finished and his dad had to hire a lawyer because of all the legal bs that was going on with his shop suddenly closing due to his bankruptcy . A year and a half later and some bucks spent he finally got his car back all this stuff is common knowledge in the car community .Wade Linger and Werks Performance have been doing these conversions for some time now if it was my money that's the route I would take .

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sting,

Thank you for the important information. I was not aware of Mallett going bankrupt.....I will check into Linger and Werks for conversion information.....Lou

By chance were these events around or just after the 2009 time frame?

I've had conversations with Mr. Mallett. He got stuck with 1.3 million, out of his pocket, when GM went bankrupt in 2009. He had provided goods and services to GM on several high profile projects, on his own dime, during this sad time in history. GM did not honor their debt. Many good 1st and 2nd tier suppliers went bankrupt due to GM, Chrysler, & GMAC going bankrupt. Then being bailed out by the government, with taxpayers money.

It was all NOT necessary.

They (the automakers) saw a weak administration and took advantage to dump debt. They are now a LLC, which has major legal advantages as well. GMAC was given billions in TARP money and become Ally Bank!

This may have prompted him (Mallett) to file bankruptcy.....the waterfall effect if you will.

I myself lost 25 years of accrued pension benefits (salaried engineer, NOT UAW), all my health care, and all my GM stock I had purchased since 1984.
Yes, GM / US government sold our stock from under us, without permission, at $0.86 / share!

Over 42,000 Loyal and hard working employees were kicked to the curb. Funny thing, we were all over the age of 55!
No age discrimination here!!

James.....thank you! One final V8 before I die!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm really surprised how many V8 conversions WadesGarage is still doing. Took a tour of his shop years ago when he first started doing the Solbra and had it featured in Hotrod magazine. That thing really was beautifully done.

Maybe someday...

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Congrats on your find and good luck on your project.

Yeah, a lot of suppliers were served the old poohburger deluxe on that bankruptcy. Fortunately, my employer is tier 3 in the automotive supply chain so other than a downturn in business, we weren't too drastically affected.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Congrat's Lou! Yes Chuck went Bankrupt in 2008 when his financial backers pulled out on him when the crunch hit that year. It did leave anyone who had a car in the shop, or had prepaid for a conversion in no mans land. I don't know if he has converted any Kappa's sense the Bankruptcy, even though it is still listed on his website, with the same prices as 2008.

You will have to keep me informed as to how your conversion goes, I am still tossing around having my coupe converted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts