Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer and my salesman test drove the cars Wed., 7/27 and said they were great....I stopped in there today to get their impressions. I'm one of the 1stK and he said he can't get any info yet on shipping or my VIN #.

I told him about the e-mail I got stating they are shipping them out starting next week and he told me some disturbing news......I have no way of verifying this, but have no reason to not believe him either......and I hope I don't get anyone, or myself in trouble, but.........

He said that he has talked to other dealers that were told their 1stK orders were canceled and need to be re-done. He also said that two engineers from this area went to the Deleware plant and told him that they may have 1 or 2 cars ready to ship and are having a lot of problems with the hydroformed bodies. He said they told him the plant has to reject 3 out of 4 they form at the present time and no way will a quantity of cars ship out next week.

I told him of the cars on trailers ready to ship and he explained that the EPA, Safety Commission, and other testing people have to get cars for testing.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.....

1stK, Deep, two-toned, loaded

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is some truth with the cars having problems on the line right now. Some cars are getting approved to be shipped and others are being re-worked. We have seen the assigning of VIN's indicating that these vehicles have been okay'd to ship. This was reflected by GMLineDog stating only 17 a day were being produced right now. My best guess is that only 100 - 300 vehicles will make it to owners during August. Just my guess though.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Delnari said:
There is some truth with the cars having problems on the line right now. Some cars are getting approved to be shipped and others are being re-worked.
That's part of any line. Not every car comes off the line a gem. Most have problems so they move them off to the side and fix them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
:skep: due mainly to the source of the info (not you toyman)...on some level they could be having startup issues, hence the slower line rate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know much about the Solstice Issues, but I can state this much:

GM has been producing a Hydroformed Chassis car in regular production since 1997, the C5 Corvette, a process which was first deemed production viable since 1991. I'd like to think that they worked the kinks out by now.

just my .02

·
Registered
263 Posts
ELTGuy said:

GM has been producing a Hydroformed Chassis car in regular production since 1997, the C5 Corvette, a process which was first deemed production viable since 1991. I'd like to think that they worked the kinks out by now.

just my .02
True. But re-read it again, he said hydroformed bodies which is an industry first.

·
Registered
936 Posts
They may loose alot of orders it that were true. I had no plans to cancel but if they have that much trouble and cannot get me my car I would have to think about it very hard. However I don't think it is true because that is why we have been waiting and they started production because they felt things were ready to go.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ateam_77 said:
They may loose alot of orders it that were true. I had no plans to cancel but if they have that much trouble and cannot get me my car I would have to think about it very hard. However I don't think it is true because that is why we have been waiting and they started production because they felt things were ready to go.
I think you should all cancel your orders immediately! As a public service I will take delivery on the first Solstice shipped, and I will report back whether or not you should reorder. ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think this is simply a case of old news. We are all aware that there were fit issues with the hydroformed body panels, but GM worked very hard to resolve those issues before giving the green light for production of the First 1000.

The information isn't wrong, it is simply OBE. Are any of us really surprised that a dealer doesn't have the latest information? :devil:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Editguy said:
I think you should all cancel your orders immediately! As a public service I will take delivery on the first Solstice shipped, and I will report back whether or not you should reorder. ;)
The keyhere is IF IT WERE TRUE and I know it isn't so you'll just have to keep waiting sorry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ELTGuy said:

just my .02
Big difference between the outer panels and inner panels and chassis's. The tolerances and quality are a lot more critical on the outer panels.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Toyman, VIN numbers are being assigned which can only mean that these cars are in transit for delivery. I would expect over the next couple of weeks that the EOP buyers with VIN numbers assigned is going to increase tenfold.

·
Registered
265 Posts
marketing speak..

one thing to remember. when gm says they "began shipping 8/1" doesn't mean the first 1k went out 8/1. they only have to ship out a single car for 8/1 delivery and then wait 6 months for 999 more and they can say "well we began shipping on 8/1". airlines pull the same stunt when claming a flight leaves on time, as soon as that door is closed the flight is considered gone, meanwhile they can have you sitting there hours (happened to me way too many times)..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
They have already promised the first 1000 by Oct 31, that's three months not 6 and we all agree that there is considerable SF in that number.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not going to say that your dealer is not telling the truth but SOME have been known to LIE to get what they want. Again I said some, not all.

I would bet he is making this stuff up so that you may either cancel your order so he can mark it up and sell it to someone else, leave them alone about it or allow him to drive the crap out of it until you realize it is there.

Either way, don't believe what a car dealer tells you. I have learned that they are not there for you but your money and themselves.

NOTE: I am not saying that all dealers are like that, just keep it in mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
NytLyt said:
A very similar thing happened with the launch of the SSR. Rick Wagoner promised that the truck would be launched in 2003. There were many serious production delays that pretty much prevented that. In the end, they essentially handbuilt about 5 vehicles in 2003, thus fulfilling his promise of a 2003 delivery. No other vehicles were built for almost 6 months after that, but he didn't lie!!
But I doubt very much they had 9000 orders with money down on the books.

We know production codes are moving which means cars are coming.

I think it will happen a little quicker this time!!!!!!!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
994 Posts
[sarcasm]

I'd like to say that I could get that at my local dealer, but I'm starting to wonder...

[/sarcasm]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts