Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant:
Picked up my Solstice #366 on Sept. 21st, and proceeded to pick up a stone on the 26th, cracking the windshield. I turned in a claim to my insurance company's glass group, who proceeded to say that I have to go through the dealer to get a new windshield as they don't have any as of yet (because the Solstice is so new). The dealer also didn't have any available, so they ordered a new windshield on the 26th. It seems that they can't get them either, it's been on backorder now for two weeks. Please GM, get some spare parts in ASAP, with the cooler weather here the crack grows everytime the heater/defroster is turned on. :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Ohh my :willy:

Wow.. i am sorry to hear about the stone and the result of it hitting the windshield. Luckily, I have never had a stone hit the windshield of any vehicle ive been in. I send you good luck with the insurance company and the dealership.

Look forward to hearing the outcome of the case!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
My condolences to you and especially the car!!

I guess that is one thing we will be reading about on these forums in the next couple of months and years.............wrecks, dings, thefts, etc.

It seems you have had the first misfortune!! :( :(


- bspate -
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,964 Posts
bspate said:
My condolences to you and especially the car!!

I guess that is one thing we will be reading about on these forums in the next couple of months and years.............wrecks, dings, thefts, etc.

It seems you have had the first misfortune!! :( :(


- bspate -
Actually not, 'Lucky' vin #13 here in Wisconsin got hit by a flying tire-last word was the car was still in the shop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
new parts

i heard today when trying also to get a new part the manufactures were suppose to "by law" have a supply of new parts when they release a new auto

don't know if its true or not, but do know that as of this afternoon, we are 3 weeks in waiting for a part and even a price

good luck, we can at least drive ours and it is still getting a lot of attention

:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
They've had laws about parts availability for years but they don't require the parts to be "nearby." Whether such laws have ever been enforced is
doubtful, I would think. My brother once had to order a gear for a Triumph
Spitfire. It came, in due time, from England. Took awhile. HAving read of the
slow pace required to hydroform the body parts, I would be extremely
surprised if Pontiac has sent any of those precious parts to any warehouses as spare parts. That just isn't happening, I don't believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
might be a little too late to fix it, but it might keep it from getting worse... pick up a glass repair kit at wal-mart or autozone or wherever. i used one on my wife's car a few years ago about 3-4 weeks after cracking the windshield and it kept it from getting worse. they're only like $5-$10 i think. hope this helps!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Tally said:
i heard today when trying also to get a new part the manufactures were suppose to "by law" have a supply of new parts when they release a new auto
MYTH.

Sorry to say, but unless GM takes pity on Rogobuck it could be another 3-4 weeks untill he get a new windshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I have used the Repair Kits twice on small star fractures, with almost as much success as glass shops. It keeps water & dirt out of the crack & binds the edges. I have found the repairs virtually invisible, and can last for several years. Large cracks require replacement, but to tide you over, It may help.

As an aside, friends in Calgary tell me they have to replace a windshield a year due to rock strikes.I am Not going to go there in my Solstice, if I ever get it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Why can't they disassemble one of those hundreds of pre-production vehicles we chased around the globe for months while waiting for our cars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Sorry to hear about the stone! OUCH! Had one new car that I was driving home from the dealership and a kid hit a baseball and it landed on my hood leaving a big dent and another one that got an ice ball thrown at it and that did some major damage too. GOOD LUCK my friend... BTW I'm VIN #365 Good to meet you... I guess the cars already have met. Best of luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
CanSol

Loft_guy said:
Sorry to hear about the stone! OUCH! Had one new car that I was driving home from the dealership and a kid hit a baseball and it landed on my hood leaving a big dent and another one that got an ice ball thrown at it and that did some major damage too. GOOD LUCK my friend... BTW I'm VIN #365 Good to meet you... I guess the cars already have met. Best of luck...
Had the same thing happen with a new van, two rock chips (bad enough to have to replace the windshield) in two seperate events the first day I owned it. Never happened again in the 10 years I kept that van.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
simmonsmb said:
might be a little too late to fix it, but it might keep it from getting worse... pick up a glass repair kit at wal-mart or autozone or wherever. i used one on my wife's car a few years ago about 3-4 weeks after cracking the windshield and it kept it from getting worse. they're only like $5-$10 i think. hope this helps!!
If it's still a small ding, check with your insurance company. Some insurance companies, will pay for the ding to be fixed. My wife got a new Honda Accord and got dinged by a small stone. I saw one of those "Free Ding Repairs" at the mall and went there to get the windshield fixed. The insurance company covered the ~$40 bucks and it doesn't go against me. Some one told me, the insurance company would much rather cough up the bucks to keep the windshield from cracking further. They figure that peeps will still drive with a crack in the windshield, which increases the rate of accidents. The ounce of prevention thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Rogobuck said:
:rant:
Picked up my Solstice #366 on Sept. 21st, and proceeded to pick up a stone on the 26th, cracking the windshield. I turned in a claim to my insurance company's glass group, who proceeded to say that I have to go through the dealer to get a new windshield as they don't have any as of yet (because the Solstice is so new). The dealer also didn't have any available, so they ordered a new windshield on the 26th. It seems that they can't get them either, it's been on backorder now for two weeks. Please GM, get some spare parts in ASAP, with the cooler weather here the crack grows everytime the heater/defroster is turned on. :rant:

Ask your dealer for the SPAC number of your order. If they haven't placed a SPAC let them know you expect them to. Once they give it to you call the GM customer service line ( 1-800-762-3743 I think this is the number ) and ask them to help expedite the order. Be nice, honey definetly works better than vinegar in this situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's too late for the repair kits to work, the crack is about 15 inches long (started out about 10 inches long). As far as working with the dealer for the windshield, I have dealt with the same dealer for over 30 years (and over 40 cars/trucks), and am on a first name basis with almost everyone there, so I do put my faith in their ability to get the windshield ASAP. I guess I will just have to drive with the top down until the windshield comes in, to equalize the outside and inside tempatures so the crack doesn't grow any more. :willy:
Living where I have to drive on dirt roads to get to my subdivision, cracked windshields are more common than not. This will be the second one this year (had to replace the one in my wife's van in the spring).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
Just a recommendation as a temporary fix, use clear shipping tape on both sides of the winshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LatinVenom said:
Just a recommendation as a temporary fix, use clear shipping tape on both sides of the winshield.
I tried duct tape, but it blocked the vision a little bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Rogobuck said:
:rant:
Picked up my Solstice #366 on Sept. 21st, and proceeded to pick up a stone on the 26th, cracking the windshield. I turned in a claim to my insurance company's glass group, who proceeded to say that I have to go through the dealer to get a new windshield as they don't have any as of yet (because the Solstice is so new). The dealer also didn't have any available, so they ordered a new windshield on the 26th. It seems that they can't get them either, it's been on backorder now for two weeks. Please GM, get some spare parts in ASAP, with the cooler weather here the crack grows everytime the heater/defroster is turned on. :rant:
*********************************************************
I had the same thing happen to my Toyota Tacoma. I had the windshield replaced and within DAYS it happened again. Fortunately I waited because
in another two weeks it happened a third time! I bought a kit and fixed it myself. I've had the truck ten years and everything happened in a months time :brentil:

*********************************************************
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
When the 2nd generation of the Cavalier came out, my mom bought a station wagon :yawn: . On the way home from the dealership, she was broad-sided going through an intersection. It took 2+ MONTHS to get the new sheet metal :eek: .

Unfortunately, at this point, repair parts are not at the top of the list of 'things to do'.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top