Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'3" and weigh in at 275#. I had the opportunity to drive a Solstice that was a "captured fleet" test vehicle here in the Detroit area. I have a Cool with all options on order and was curious as to how if I would fit. I really believe that my wife hoped it wouldn't fit me as she knows it would her! I got into the car and immediately had my size 13s underneath the pedals. It took some doing to get them right side and then I began the drive. It was awesome! I should say that there was no problem exiting the vehicle and I am sure I will master entering it.

The top was down and heads turned everywhere. I fit perfectly and had no trouble with the pedals. In fact, it was comfortable. Pep seemed fine and the transmission worked flawlessly. Overall, it took 4 hours to wipe the smile from my face.

Now the few negatives. I was too tall to read the fuel gage and top of the other instruments. The steering wheel interfered as it does not tip up enough for a tall person. I also did not care for clear plastic on the deck lid that the top seals against along the buttress. It surround the hole the top latches into and looked tacky to me. The cup holders were also a joke. Would have almost rather had the price at $19,994.

All in all, WOW!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You lucky dog!

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and have been concerned about tightness in the drivers seat. How was the clearance between your leg, the tunnel and the steering wheel? Do you think us tall folks can take the Sol on a long weekend trip without turning into a pretzel?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
tutle said:
I also did not care for clear plastic on the deck lid that the top seals against along the buttress. It surround the hole the top latches into and looked tacky to me.
Best solution to a poor design problem. Without the the clear vinyl there would be nothing to protect the paint from being sanded down by the buttresses.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
pmaynard said:
How was the clearance between your leg, the tunnel and the steering wheel?
tutle said:
...The steering wheel interfered as it does not tip up enough for a tall person....
Is this what you were referring to? This problem area is the only reason I'm not driving a Miata. Way back in late January, at the car show, this looked like a potential problem for me with the Solstice.

Because you didn't mention it, I'm assuming that forward vision wasn't obstructed by the top of the windshield. Too bad you didn't get a chance to try it on with the top up. Sounds as if I may be looking into a way to lower the seat height.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Primus said:
Did you run it with the air on? My concern is that there will be a serious lack of power with the air on.
i have a '97 mitsu spyder ragtop automatic. I drive with the air on all the time, sometimes even when the top is down. i never notice any lag between air on and air off (bought it new in '97) and it's only about 140 hp (2.4L nonturbo). based on that i believe the sol at 177 will drive reeeaal nice. :cool:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Primus said:
Did you run it with the air on? My concern is that there will be a serious lack of power with the air on.
Standard practice when driving a small engined car with AC. Just prior to launch, make a great show of pushing the AC off button. Make people to think it's Nitrous Oxide. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
jimmyo said:
:agree:
I do the same with my 97 Eclipse Spyder.
mine's an eclipse also. forgot one of its names. lol :yesnod:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that a long haul for the weekend may be marginal. The seat back leaned back a bit which I really like but I only drove it for about 20 minutes. It handled fine and sounded OK. I did not expect that engine to be very throaty. The revs seemed to stay up while you shift but that may be peculiar to this vehicle. I did not listen to the radio as I was talking to my buddy and watching people ooh and aah the car. I thought the acceleration was fine and my buddy said that no one had complained about that. People have asked me why don't I wait on the turbo and I am not buying a race car. Had no problem keeping up with traffic. Can't wait to get mine!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
tutle said:
The revs seemed to stay up while you shift but that may be peculiar to this vehicle.
Sounds like that is a function of the throttle-by-wire... at least on the ecotec motors. My VUE does the same thing - it's as if it is trying to hold the RPMs for you between shifts. I don't even notice it anymore, though. It's just odd to blip the throttle in neutral or with the clutch in and have the RPMs come back down slowly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Or it could be that it holds the throttle open on purpose so that you don't get low cylinder pressures when the throttle closes, which increases oxides of nitrogen pollutants. My 2001 Focus does this, as did my 1987 Honda Civic. The Honda used a vacuum solenoid. I'm not sure about the Focus, but neither is/was throttle by wire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts