Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
More info, please

We need to know much more! How fast did you go? Were you on public roads, oval, road course? How does it handle transitions? How are the interior accomodations? Are the seats supportive? Can people over 6' fit? How's acceleration? Noise level? Did your car have all the insulation that production cars will have? Please tell all!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Dude, be careful! You may not be aware that GM employees can get fired for posting something as simple as product descriptions, driving impressions, and the like.

So, if you work in Wilmington, build us a great car, but take care not to get yourself fired just because you got to drive a few miles in a plant-built car. It ain't worth it. :smile

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep us informed

Please keep us informed but also be careful. You are the first non-news type to have mentioned the luck of driving one. Thanks for the carrot on a stick we will be nibbleing on this tidbit for days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First post

A little info about me. I might be the oldest on here now. I am 64 going on my 3rd or 4th midlife crisis....I have been a Pontiac fan since my first one, a 64 GTO convertible, 389 tripower, 4 spd with a posi-rear. Good memories. Next was a 87 Fiero GT 5spd. Had alot of fun in that car, especially on sunday mornings on a twisty road out for a drive all by myself. Doesn't get much better. Although I had to hang on a couple of times. lol My next Pontiac will be the SOLSTICE. If the Saturn doesn't beat it.... TomDoc,
I am from Elkton and retired from the Post Office in Wilmington. Ihave also delivered mail on Boxwood road at the home of the Solstice...
When I am home for the holidays this year I will be over at the plant looking around for some new sights. Also, like Solsticeman said be careful what you say here.

Solsticeman,
Thank you for the pics from France??? I had not seen them before. I like the way the one in the turn is handling it.

·
4,592 Posts
Welcome Aboard TomDoc and 64GTO! :thumbs

Now this is a thread, the very reason I check in so regularly. :smile

Cool stuff, CAREFUL, CAREFUL, CAREFUL... But keep it coming.

New news, SOOOO COOOOL!!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
so... if we happen to be driving past the factory we might see a solstice driving around the parking lot? that would be worth a detour- where is this place?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
cdb said:
so... if we happen to be driving past the factory we might see a solstice driving around the parking lot? that would be worth a detour- where is this place?

It's being built at Wilmington, DE. But if you live in Southeast MI, you'll see them occasionally on the road from pinckney all the way to detroit, occasionally northern MI, if you're lucky enough to catch various rides that take place from the Milford Proving Ground.

Look for the Solstice in the winter months east of Phoenix, AZ (look at me, I sound like an astronomer :lol ), that's where the GM Desert Proving Ground is.

I've also heard from a friend of mine that lives near Indian Springs, MI (just south of the Mackinac Bridge) that she saw a rough one a year ago near Sault Ste. Marie in the UP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
64GTO,
It's good to have another "mature" voice on-line. I'm not too far behind you at 51. Age is all in the mind (for the most part).

I would be curious to know if all of these test mules have been the flat black finish. I assume they have been.

I consider myself lucky to have seen what must have been a Ford GT mule driving on the interstate through downtown Indy (in the rain, I might add). This was back in probably April or early May. It would be great to see a Solstice test mule around here. At least that is something a bit more in my budget.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum to the two new members here!

Second, this is the most worthless post EVER!

Sorry, had to say it. We crave so much information, and we understand you cannot really give us any. However, just telling us you drove it is just torture. :mad

Maybe GM should set up a private showing for us sometime, let us all take a turn behind the wheel of a Solstice prototype to wet our appetites a little more! (hint hint to the GM corporate lurkers). :smile

Can you at least tell us something along the lines of how you likes it? Was it disappointing, about what you expected, better than you expected? You don’t have to give any reasons or details, but are you pleased with what you drove?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well It WAS a good thread until TomDoc decided his job was on the line for telling us too much.

Oh well, we don't want to see anyone fired for our appetites sake. :spam

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Maybe GM should set up a private showing for us sometime, let us all take a turn behind the wheel of a Solstice prototype to wet our appetites a little more! (hint hint to the GM corporate lurkers).
I'd be happy to just sit in one and make motor noices! (still a little worried if I'll fit). Hell, my guess is a significant number of us haven't even seen one behind a velvet rope!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My first thought was this is someone yanking our chain.

But after noticing he registered many months ago, and just now chooses to post, I'm starting to wonder... :confused

And did anyone see the post before he edited it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The original post said that the car felt "tight and fast". There was a second post saying that the drive took place in the parking lot at the Wilmington plant, and that he only took the car up to 40 mph. Not a lot of detail, but every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Well well well...

Just talked to a friend of mine who, let's just say, is "reasonably close" to the Solstice...;)

Seems the word on product information release hadn't been told to the guys at Wilmington, and Tomdoc's post got some attention. Just as we all suspected, GM monitors this and other sites.

Apparently, there was some "clarification" on posting policy that was communicated to employees that may not have been aware of these policies. I suspect that was the last of the posts we'll see from GM or supplier employees directly talking about driving Solstices.

I see the cars quite often, there must be hundreds of people that have gotten to drive some version of the Solstice by now...

I noticed that Tomdoc managed to delete all his other posts, but once you are the originator of a thread (as FFormula88 found out) you can't delete the thread and erase the evidence of your existence.

Hope you didn't get into too much trouble, TD! Make sure those cars are built well for us!!! :thumbs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts