Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out tonight that I do have a tune in my car. I know someone that was able to give me the "part number" or tune number for my car. In the first 2 segments I have the normal GM tune of 12612664 and 12619548. But all of the rest have the number 82537428. Does anyone know who uses that number? I know that I don't have a Trifecta as I've already contacted him trying to find out if Vince tuned it. I was told Vince didn't tune it. The guy that found this number for me told me that aftermarket guys will use the same number for every tune usually.

Also, I'm trying to figure out my exhaust. It has no name on it anywhere that I can see. I know Borla usually puts Borla on its exhaust somewhere, but we were unable to find anything when we had it on the hoist to look it over. Where should I be looking? I know usually at the tailpipe, but there's nothing there. It is aftermarket....it's too loud and throaty to be factory....

Any help on this is appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Can't help you with the tune as I haven't heard tunes referred to as numbers. I'd bet though that the exhaust is a Solo system. The vast majority of us have systems from them. Are the clamps between the sections of pipe on the exhaust stainless steel bands?

Have you a Solstice, Sky, an NA or the turbo?

Performance Exhaust Systems | Performance Exhaust

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a GXP (turbo). And yes, the bands in between each section are rather large stainless steel bands (about 3" - 5").

The tune # is the "part number" that is stored in the ECM. As shown from another post in the Sky forum: http://http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gmpp-turbo-upgrade-19212670-sub-100-a-60589/

If you go about 1/2 way down the above page, it gives numbers for the programs that are in the ECM. An engineer I know looked at the programs in my ECM and there were other "part numbers" as he referred to them other then the ones that are GM "part numbers". (I put quotes around the part number because he said they are called part numbers in the engineering world there). This is how the dealerships know if your using an aftermarket tune or not.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The URL that you posted isn't working here for some reason.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gmpp-turbo-upgrade-19212670-sub-100-a-60589/

The exhaust may well be a Solo system, I suspect it is. As far as the tune goes, what kind of boost do you get at full throttle? Do you have TMAP sensors that have one or two bolts holding them in? If just one bolt it's generally an indication that you have a GMPP tune.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That would be the link I was trying to post. We've kind of already established that I had some sort of tune. I get about 22psi of boost. No, I don't have the GMPP tune. From everything that I've read, the normal sensors would technically work with the GMPP tune as well, its just that they need extra "room" to be 50 state legal (thus the reason you need the other sensors). I will try to post a video of my car idling as soon as I figure out how to convert an mp4 into something that most people can see....LOL....

·
Registered
79 Posts
That would be the link I was trying to post. We've kind of already established that I had some sort of tune. I get about 22psi of boost. No, I don't have the GMPP tune. From everything that I've read, the normal sensors would technically work with the GMPP tune as well, its just that they need extra "room" to be 50 state legal. I will try to post a video of my car idling as soon as I figure out how to convert an mp4 into something that most people can see....LOL....
Easy! Youtube! Lol. Then share the link here :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
The normal sensors will NOT work with the GMPP tune. The two types of sensors have different ranges and thus different voltage-pressure maps. The GMPP tune expects to see the new sensor maps. Getting the old sensor readings will throw off the ECM and it WILL throw codes as a result.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:agree:

I know TomatoSoup. ;) I have read many articles here that say that the original sensors won't work with the GMPP tune. What I was getting at (and that I've also read here and had a tuner tell me) is that the original sensors are good to somewhere around 30psi of boost. It's just that the GMPP tune REQUIRES the other sensors. I wasn't saying you could have the GMPP tune installed without replacing the sensors.

Now as far as the video goes, I will get some good footage tomorrow and post it tomorrow afternoon sometime.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
What I was getting at (and that I've also read here and had a tuner tell me) is that the original sensors are good to somewhere around 30psi of boost.
Well, that's not quite true either. The old sensors are 2.7 bar sensors (1.7 bar positive pressure). The new ones are 3 bar (+ 2bar). Each 'bar' = ~14.7 PSI. Thus the old ones can measure up to ~25 PSI, the new ~29.5 PSI.

Having said that, I do agree that, in theory (and ignoring measurement latitude), the old sensors would cover the available range of the GMPP tune.

...just my day to be anal ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Those numbers are ECM calibration part numbers. The 1261 numbers look right, but they don't come up as valid part numbers for any VIN. The 61 part of the number somewhat goes with the year of the car in that 61 numbers were mostly in '07's, 62 numbers were mostly in '08's, 63 numbers were mostly in '09's and '10's. Not a direct correlation, but obviously the numbers go up as they do new calibration updates.

The 8253 numbers do no show up as valid part numbers either. I don't think you're gonna find anyone that can tell you "these numbers mean Joe Tuner tuned this car". If so, it's news to me, which is quite possible. If you PM me your VIN, I can tell you what the numbers are supposed to be, but obviously they aren't going to be what's in your car because it has a tune in it.

The car wasn't raced before was it? Look closely at the ECM and see if it has any markings on it. GM's actual T2 sponsored cars had markings showing that it was a GM Racing ECM. I doubt that's the case on yours, especially since it's an '08 and I think they were pretty much done by then. That would explain a few things though, like the numbers looking like GM numbers, and it still having stock map sensors.

On the map sensors...
A straight GMPP tune cannot run on the stock sensors. A GMPP tune with the map calibrations set to stock sensors can be done, but unlikely and kinda silly. Any aftermarket tune can use either sensors. The stock sensors will flatline (max out) around 25psi, the GMPP sensors will go to 30psi.

I looked at your other post about drivability issues. If you really want to get to the bottom of what tune is in your car, you either need to find someone local with HPTuners, or buy the hardware yourself. That way you can log it and download the tune so others can look at it and tell you what it looks like. At this point, it doesn't make sense for you to buy the GMPP tune since you're already boosting higher than that with whatever tune is in there.

On the warranty thing...
Even though you bought the car with this tune in it, if something happens, they can still deny warranty work because there's no way to prove that the tune was in there when you purchased the car. That would end up being a fight between you and the dealer, not GM itself. If you want to keep that warranty intact, you should have the dealer flash it back to stock, or then buy the GMPP tune. At this point, you technically have no powertrain warranty from GM, at least not without a fight.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No, I think we've already kind of established its not a T2. It's a fake. :( GMTech, I'm not really too worried about not "having" a warranty. I just wanted to be safe, but since I've got more boost then the GMPP right now, I will probably stay with what I have. I know too many GM service people to really worry about it. If worse comes to worse, I can always have one of them flash it if need be.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
months later & still trying to figure out who tuned your car?

If you really want to get to the bottom of what tune is in your car, you either need to find someone local with HPTuners, or buy the hardware yourself. That way you can log it and download the tune so others can look at it and tell you what it looks like.
-------------------------------------------------------------> :agree:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well I would have to chime in and say you definitely have some sort of tune,if you are getting boost pressures over 15psig that pretty much says it all.
Question : WOT will go into limp mode around 6400 rpms ,does your car go past that band ,then you also have your rev limit modded.Could be anyone's tune,sounds pretty cool to me,do you know of anyone that can dump your tune .I don't think I would have it flashed back to factory ,eventually you will want to tune your PCM and then spend a few hundred dollars to do that.Who cares as long as you are not having any issues,if it were me and I did not know who tuned it ,I would at least have it dynoed and find out what it is putting out.JMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts