Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....to add to the collection.

My inventory is pretty much limited to Craftsman, Gearwrench and a few Harbor Freight ratchets.

There was a time, that I'd find myself in situations where my ratchets wouldn't tighten/loosen a nut because they had such a low tooth count that required more movement than I had space for. I upgraded to 72t then 84t. These Gearwrench ratchets actually only have 60t but with two pawls that gives it 120 clicks. I saw a good video of the ratchet head breaking off at the same point as a Snap-on. Hopefully I'll end up liking it.

What's your favorite ratchet? I used the Harbor Freight 72t long double ended ratchet, more than any of the others for my engine swap last summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
....to add to the collection.

My inventory is pretty much limited to Craftsman, Gearwrench and a few Harbor Freight ratchets.

There was a time, that I'd find myself in situations where my ratchets wouldn't tighten/loosen a nut because they had such a low tooth count that required more movement than I had space for. I upgraded to 72t then 84t. These Gearwrench ratchets actually only have 60t but with two pawls that gives it 120 clicks. I saw a good video of the ratchet head breaking off at the same point as a Snap-on. Hopefully I'll end up liking it.

What's your favorite ratchet? I used the Harbor Freight 72t long double ended ratchet, more than any of the others for my engine swap last summer.
I always try to use six point sockets where possible, especially on rusted or damaged bolts or nuts. I do like the gearwrench ratchets for the reasons you mention. I don't like the smooth shiny finish though. They look nice but are more difficult to hold onto when your hands are greasy. Never had any wrench break. Did bend one once though using a three foot piece of pipe to help it.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always try to use six point sockets where possible, especially on rusted or damaged bolts or nuts. I do like the gearwrench ratchets for the reasons you mention. I don't like the smooth shiny finish though. They look nice but are more difficult to hold onto when your hands are greasy. Never had any wrench break. Did bend one once though using a three foot piece of pipe to help it.
6 point is definitely the way to go. I'm not really sure why they ever even made 12 point, it must have been a thing before there were high tooth count ratchets?

Agreed, I've never broken a ratchet either aside from the internals failing. Check out this video of a guy breaking the heads off various ratchets:

I know exactly what you mean about greasy hands and the loss of grip on the smooth finishes. I'll just clean my hands if they're that greasy anymore. Aside from oil changes, I don't really get greasy much though?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Probably 90% of my wrenching is done with a 84T 3/8 Craftsman, just like the ones in the center of your box. I got it as a free upgrade when the local Sears didn't have a standard ratchet to replace my broken one so they had to give me the 84T professional/thin/polished model or whatever it's called.

12 point sockets are more commonplace because they're cheaper and easier to manufacture. The only time I use them is in conjunction with the BFH to form a tight press-fit spline over rounded-off nuts and bolts. I actually removed my wheel locks that way when I bought my solstice since the previous owner lost the key.

·
Super Moderator
16,269 Posts
Sadly I have all the above. They kind of find their way into my tool boxes. My favorite socket set is SK. I have several sets in 1/4 inch drive, 1/2 inch drive, and 3/8ths inch drive. I also have collected a lot of special tools. And I seem to use them a lot during Garage Days.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
when I was working, It was usually around lots of perple who also had lots of tools. I used to end up a job with lots of extra 7/16 wrenches for some reason. Now that everything is mostly metric (thankfully) I always end up with extra 13mm wrenches. Don't know what it is about those two sizes but they stick to me like glue, much to the displeasure of my buds.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,444 Posts
Sadly I have all the above. They kind of find their way into my tool boxes. My favorite socket set is SK. I have several sets in 1/4 inch drive, 1/2 inch drive, and 3/8ths inch drive. I also have collected a lot of special tools. And I seem to use them a lot during Garage Days.
Similar here. I got a set of SK sockets 1/4 and 3/8 when I was 16 (55 years ago). They are still complete and very well used.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,269 Posts
LOL I got mine when I was just out of the army in the 1970s. I love them. I nearly had a heart attack when I thought I lost one. Took me a while to find a replacement but as soon as it showed up, the old one did too. LOL

·
Super Moderator
16,269 Posts
I have the K&S sockets in metric but needed MORE. So I have normal, deep socket and hammer drill sockets up to 30mm. Which means they need to be organized. I found this on Amazon and LOVE it.

Put the socket on the connector and turn it to the right to lock. And they STAY in place.

·
Super Moderator
16,269 Posts
Had to have one of these

Then I had to get one of these

and in the end I now have four different electric battery ratchets in different sizes and configurations.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
If anyone can help out. I have never been able to find a 1/4" or 3/8" universal for my sockets that doesn't flop around when I try to put it on a hard to reach bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As Rob suggested, the ratcheting wrenches are awesome!! I've got them in both variants (rigid/flex head) and use them pretty often. They've made pass-through sockets a thing of the past. After using Robs Torin socket holder at a garage day I just had to have them; while ordering the Torin's I also ordered some Ares socket organizers that I love. The old metal style that I grew up with is dated, there's many better socket organizers out there.

·
Super Moderator
16,269 Posts
If anyone can help out. I have never been able to find a 1/4" or 3/8" universal for my sockets that doesn't flop around when I try to put it on a hard to reach bolt.
There are several options. Put a rubber band on the joint to hold it in position. Or put a piece of tubing that is flexible and fits over the joint. I have used superglue in a few cases It will hold the swivel aligned to allow you to get it into position, but will break easily and allow movement in the joint.

If you have the right size heat shrink tubing you can put that over the joint and heat it until you get the reinforcement you need for the application.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
There are several options. Put a rubber band on the joint to hold it in position. Or put a piece of tubing that is flexible and fits over the joint. I have used superglue in a few cases It will hold the swivel aligned to allow you to get it into position, but will break easily and allow movement in the joint.

If you have the right size heat shrink tubing you can put that over the joint and heat it until you get the reinforcement you need for the application.
I've got boatloads of heatshrink. Never thought of that. many thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts