Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.stangnet.com/content/view/65//

Cliff notes of above link: Ford is increasing Mustang production to a yearly capacity of 192,000 units, and plans to sell 160,000-165,000 units this calender year! Sales are currently up more than 45%.

All I have to say is WOW. Ford finally has a hit on their hands and is selling it in volume. Congrats to the Blue Oval! I guess its a testament to the fact that styling does sell, since even the new Mustang isn't perfect either. Especially with its often criticized solid rear axle, lack of useable back seat space, and RWD (negative to northern climate owners).

They are even doing this with a shortage of GT models, based on some parts shortages and a legal battle over the MyColor IP which was recently resolved. Before the shortage of GT's, Ford estimates that only about 35% of 2005 cars would be GT's. That leaves a lot of lower performing V6's finding happy homes (although they are no slouch anymore either, running sub 7 second sprints to 60).

This gives me confidence that the Solstice will enjoy similar success. People are hungry for new, great looking sports cars, and don't mind putting up with a few negatives in the car.

Now if only GM could turn the next GTO into the success the Mustang has been!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
...production to a yearly capacity of 192,000 units, and plans to sell 160,000-165,000 units this calender year!
Love the Mustang but seeing numbers like that makes me glad I have a Solstice. Should be about 10 times as many Mustangs on the road as Solstices.

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Love the Mustang but seeing numbers like that makes me glad I have a Solstice. Should be about 10 times as many Mustangs on the road than Solstices.
I agree! I still eyeball he new mustangs, but already they are so common the thrill is wearing off, wait a year and they'll blend in like a PT Cruiser.

Still, a nice looking car, not right for me, but I like to admire it. But imagine how many will be on the road in a year.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
Love the Mustang but seeing numbers like that makes me glad I have a Solstice. Should be about 10 times as many Mustangs on the road than Solstices.
That's what makes it fun owning a car that is not in every other garage. Don't forget to flash your lights at all other Kappas.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
That's what makes it fun owning a car that is not in every other garage. Don't forget to flash your lights at all other Kappas.
Or do just the "Harley Wave". Anyone ever seen that?

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Ff88 Remember when we were having the discussion about the GTO and why we baby boomers did not want to buy it. What we wanted was the old GOAT 1965 - 1967 style with all of what they did to the new GTO, if GM would have done that, the car in my garage/drive way would be a GTO and not the SOL/SKY and probably for a lot of other people here as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like having some exclusivity with my Fiero. Its nice to not see the same car you are driving all the time. In fact, its rather rare that I ever see the same model car I have, much less one in the same color. The Solstice will certainly be more prevalent than that, but its still not going to be like a Mustang with one on every block.

That said, I wouldn't mind that too much with the Mustang either. You know they are going to be all over when you buy a car like that. Maybe not as fun as having a unique car, but sometimes 300 HP can make up for a lot.

LatinVenom said:
Ff88 Remember when we were having the discussion about the GTO and why we baby boomers did not want to buy it. What we wanted was the old GOAT 1965 - 1967 style with all of what they did to the new GTO, if GM would have done that, the car in my garage/drive way would be a GTO and not the SOL/SKY and probably for a lot of other people here as well.
I do remember. At least with the GTO, there is some exclusivity. However, if everyone else thinks its just an overgrown Cavalier, that exclusivity isn't really a good thing.

It may not be easy to keep selling retro styled cars over the long haul, but it still might be better to cash in on a couple years of hot sales before they go stale than to have a car that languishes on lots from the start.

That gives me a new thought too. Is a retro design any worse than other more expressive, extroverted sports car designs? Most sports car designs have a rather short shelf life because the design does get stale when there are thousands out on the roads, and buyers gravitate to newer designs. Just like they do with retro designs. So maybe a retro design like the Mustang isn't that much worse than an all new or evolutionary design. In 1999, the 99-04 Mustangs were hot too, but a couple years later they were still just another commonplace design.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88, you are right. There are classic designs and classic ideas that never get tired. Or they get reworked for a new generation. The new Mustang although not strictly retro seems to be more the model that should have come out in 1970 instead of the Mach I with the almost horizontal rear window. It's like they lost the drawings for 30+ years. If I had one of 200,000 it certainly would have to be from a small subgroup like GTR and/or convertible. Some classics look timeless regardless when they were built. Look at all the Cobra replicas. There are a ton more of them on the road than were originally built and I think they all still look HOT. Another timeless design from my past is the Studebaker Avanti. PLease don't laugh until you've looked at one and can tell me whether it was a 1963 -1983 or 1993 model.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Mustangs unfortunately have turned into the American version of the Civic. They're fairly cheap, mass produced, tons of aftermarket accesories, and they're a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I would love to have a crystal ball to tell me if calling it a GTO was actually a hindrance. Personally, I believe if they created a new model name for it and had it priced correctly as it is now, they would have had a modest hit even with the styling as is. I just think trying to pass of this vehicle as the icon known as the GOAT was poor marketing.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I bet if they had introduced it as it was but under a different name it would have been accepted much better. Then eventually make a GTO variation of it instead of now how they're trying to mold it inot a GTO over several years.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I would love to have a crystal ball to tell me if calling it a GTO was actually a hindrance. Personally, I believe if they created a new model name for it and had it priced correctly as it is now, they would have had a modest hit even with the styling as is. I just think trying to pass of this vehicle as the icon known as the GOAT was poor marketing.
:agree: The original concept of big**s motor stuffed into a mid-size chassis actually goes back even as far as 1955 with the first Chrysler 300. But the GTO claim to fame was transforming a Tempest into a hot rod. With the plethora of FWD and the ability to now handle that kind of hp in FWD a logical new GTO would have been simply based on the now defunct 2 door Grand Prix or even the G6. Consider the CTS-V engine in either of those and look out Mustang GTR.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brentil said:
Mustangs unfortunately have turned into the American version of the Civic. They're fairly cheap, mass produced, tons of aftermarket accesories, and they're a dime a dozen.
I am not so sure I would go so far as to call a Mustang an American version of the Civic. If anything, the Civic would be a Japanese version of the Mustang. However, I wouldn’t actually say that either.

The Mustang has always been cheap and mass produced, and customized by owners. However, there is a distinctive difference between the two. The Mustang is all about being a sports car/sporty car. Both in design and purpose. Sure the base models are less about performance from a quantitative end, but the still carry the same sporty design intent. Civics on the other hand are designed to be cheap, fuel efficient economy car’s for use as transportation appliances. Over time there has been some Si models on and off that offered a factory tuned performance version, but they have not always been in the lineup, and were more of an afterthought to catch some of the tuners who were modifying Civics anyway.

I dunno, I guess I see a distinct difference between the two. Comparing them is like saying the Focus is a car like the Mustang, because some people make them faster and Ford hopped one up as the SVT model.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
I'm sure the disappearance of the F-Body had some impact.
Yeah, now that there's no Comarao or Firebird to compete with, all those owners who want new cars are pretty much SOL for the price/platform choices unless they go Ford.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am not so sure I would go so far as to call a Mustang an American version of the Civic. If anything, the Civic would be a Japanese version of the Mustang. However, I wouldn’t actually say that either.

The Toyota Celica was called the Japanes Mustang when it first hit our shores. The only thing common was the long hood short deck, rwd, sporty, inexpensive, fun to drive...could you even get a 6 in it? Then the 240Z took on the domestics with power to spare. Civic CSi, maybe not the 4 doors for sure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it wasn't for the Sky, I'd be in a new Mustang GT, and I'm a bona fide Ford hater. I have no trouble recommending the new mustang to friends & family. It's a great car with GREAT looks and a rock-out price. And finally even the V6 has some claim to performance. Historically the smaller motors are laughable, but this V6 is a bargain hunters dream.

Yeah, they're gonna end up being a dime a dozen but I really don't see that being a bad thing for U.S. auto makers or for those of us who like more individually styled cars. Hopefully some of the sales will come at the expense of foreign makers instead of just raking GM over the coals.

Got to hand it to Ford, the Mustang is "just right". It's got the bread and butter v6 and the "wow the masses" v8.

·
4,592 Posts
Wanted to add to Ff88's original post.

Just saw a news clip on the increased Mustang production. they said they will be making more than they have in the last ten years combined. Now that I type that, it doesn't sound right, but it's what they said.

Those new mustangs are going to be d*mn common, good looking may not be enough to overcome that!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PLus the Mustang has the convertible in several performance trims as well as some potential screaming hi-po rides.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts