Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am so excited that I can't stand myself. I have not had this feeling about a new car since I bought my 89 CRX. I have been looking for my next car for a couple of years now and nothing was working for me. I would LOVE to have an XLR, but don't have that much cash sitting around. Was looking at a Crossfire, but the cup holder sucks. I drove the CRX for 12 years and there was no cup holder. I know that is a stupid reason to not buy the Crossfire, but the little things are like a pebble in your shoe. Its tiny, but gets to be a real pain after a while. Saw a post here with pics of the cup holder. Not a bad place, really. And I can get a fully loaded, leather interior, all the bells and whistles car for around 22,000. A little more that the 10,100.00 I paid for the CRX back in 89. but I am willing to bet it will be just as fun!

Has anyone tried out the shifter? Can you compare it to a Honda? I looked at a little Chevy GEO back in 89 just to make sure I liked the CRX and the shifter in that thing was gross! I hope GM has improved their short throw shifter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
Unfortunately, there is not a single test driver among us. Much more info on shifting quality etc. Should be available by Sept. :lol:

-DT
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
The transmission is being sourced from Aisin, who is the same supplier of the Honda S2000 transmission. So if it shifts anywhere near as nice as the S2K, I think everyone will be very pleased. :)

I cannot imagine looking at a car I liked, but not buying it because of the cupholder! :willy: You must not have been that crazy about the rest of the Crossfire either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I'm sure the extra cash for the Crossfire is an issue too. Nice to get something sporty and good looking for 20k!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Sweet, another excited soon to be Solstice owner

I've driven a S2000 and that shifter is really nice and tight, so much better then the Vettes, Camaros and GTOs I'm used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fformula88 said:
I cannot imagine looking at a car I liked, but not buying it because of the cupholder! :willy: You must not have been that crazy about the rest of the Crossfire either.
If the Crossfire had the Solstice's cup holder, I would be buying the Crossfire right now! Love the lines on the hood.

However, I drive a lot of highway miles on business and I live in Houston with a 40 minute drive to work each morning. Going without my coffee/coke for that long would make me a grumpy driver. Also if you have ever had a convertible you would know how dehydrated you can get just from the blowing wind. Not having a place to put a bottled watter will just make things worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
This is one of those things that baffles me when I see some new car designs.

Many people, whether subconsciously or not, attach tremendous value to the placement and usefulness of the cup holder in a car. For all of the money and time they spend designing a car, you would think that they would take this factor into account.

tmpafford is a perfect example. The poor design of the cup holder on the crossfire cost them a sale. Simply amazing.

Flagg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Crossfire was a poor fit

The Crossfire was way too small for this tall driver. It is a beautiful car.

I believe the Solstice is destined to be a American Classic. The lines are clean, unique and gorgeous. (Hopefull this one fits better.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Cupholders is the least of my concern, althou they are important.
My wait & see is just how difficult the operation of the top will be.
It just seems to me that a few more inches added to the rear of this
car would have eliminated the current configuration.
A few more inches (6 maybe) would have a much larger trunk and
a deck similar to the older Vettes ('58, '59, '60 '61) so you would not
have to open the trunk for the top.

To put it plain and simple, more thought should have gone in to this
area of the car and greatly depends on whether I buy one or not.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
tmpafford said:
If the Crossfire had the Solstice's cup holder, I would be buying the Crossfire right now! Love the lines on the hood.

However, I drive a lot of highway miles on business and I live in Houston with a 40 minute drive to work each morning. Going without my coffee/coke for that long would make me a grumpy driver. Also if you have ever had a convertible you would know how dehydrated you can get just from the blowing wind. Not having a place to put a bottled watter will just make things worse.
Never really noticed getting dehydrated while crusing in my Jeep with the top down. Maybe we just don't get enough heat up here in the great white north like you get down in Houston! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
I once considered the Crossfire among several potential candidates for a new car (then the Solstice came along). I had some issues with the Crossfire. Although it is in my mind the best looking Chrysler product out there (excepting maybe the Viper) Its styling is still way too conservative for a sporty car. The roadster at base of around 35K doesn't compare performance wise with several roadsters and coupes that cost thousands less. (Upgrading to the 330HP version is over 50K!). The Crossfire ended up near the bottom of my list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
SWAMPRAT said:
Cupholders is the least of my concern, althou they are important.
My wait & see is just how difficult the operation of the top will be.
It just seems to me that a few more inches added to the rear of this
car would have eliminated the current configuration.
A few more inches (6 maybe) would have a much larger trunk and
a deck similar to the older Vettes ('58, '59, '60 '61) so you would not
have to open the trunk for the top.

To put it plain and simple, more thought should have gone in to this
area of the car and greatly depends on whether I buy one or not.
Swamp,

The reason that the trunk has to be opened to put the top down is because that is the only way to create the completly clean rear deck (no visible boot or splitlines). The clean lines and perfect proportions would not exist with a conventional convertible storage configuration. It is a trade off but one with which I am more that happy :)
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Actually, there would have been a possible second solution. Have a second hinged body color tonneau lid in front of the trunk that could open, accept the top, and close. There are other cars that operate this way. However, for the Sol it would have created an extra engineering hurtle to clear, raise the cost of the vehicle, and really not add much of a benefit since it would still infringe on trunk space and probably require most if not all steps currently needed. It would have still allowed the clean look when the top was down, but I am not sure there would have been much of a realistic benefit to it, at this price point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
568 Posts
It can be Done!!!

Here's an example of how to do a hard cover over the top

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I don't think that it was a question of can it be done, but if done will it look nearly as clean. In this picture there is an obvious break in where the top folds down and the trunk area. You are also comparing a much larger car. Look at the extention past the wheels and see how far it sticks out compared to the Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one piece rear deck lid is one of the things I like about this car. I hate those plactic "boots" for the tops. There is no indication, by just looking at the car, that there is a top except the little crome latches on the rear deck. Other wise it looks like a true open air roadster.

The two humps remind me of the big Thunderbird roadster that the PI drove in the old Perry Masson TV series. This would not have been possible with a two piece rear deck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
568 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I don't think that it was a question of can it be done, but if done will it look nearly as clean. In this picture there is an obvious break in where the top folds down and the trunk area. You are also comparing a much larger car. Look at the extention past the wheels and see how far it sticks out compared to the Solstice.
I think all I'm saying is that if there were a true trunk there would always be a break...

The "grey" part is the rear window shelf it could have easily just been the same metal as the rest of the car, but that doesn't make much sense when the top is up. I'm guessing no matter where we live most of us will do more top up motoring than top down motoring.

Comparisons: ............Solstice..............Capri
Overall length ................157.2...........166
Width ..........................71.3............. 64.6
Wheel base...................95.1...............94.7
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
That is just a hard tonneau on the Capri, isn't it? The advantage of the Sol has no tonneau, and no cut lines on the deckid. Its all one smooth, clean surface.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top