1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
:crying::crying:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
What a shame, hope they were OK. OTOH they were driving too fast for conditions, and the Sol driver was very fortunate that the semi driver was able to avoid them.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
The factory NA tires are notoriously bad in the wet. there are MANY complaints about hydroplaning in the wet with them

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Not sure why the driver hit the brakes? Looked to be going too fast for conditions with the standing water on the road. My first thought: Hope everyone walked away. My second thought: Wonder if it's available to purchase and part out? :)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
You can see him aquaplane when he hits the water near the median. He would probably have been OK if he had lifted before the car started to turn, but I'd bet he had it on cruise, which would react by giving it power. Been there when my Sol was new and it was a scary, scary couple of seconds before regaining complete control.

:dunno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the Sol driver was very fortunate the semi driver was able to avoid them.
I drive a big truck (tanker). I see plenty stupid crap done by four wheelers and 18 wheelers alike. It's amazing sometimes!

Plus y'all keep say "he" hit his brakes....maybe it was a chick driving?????>:)

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Ouch! Hate to watch this video though I did several times. Is it possible that anyone would be using their cruise control in those weather conditions?? I'm sure that most on this forum really enjoy "driving" their cars and wouldn't be in auto mode under these conditions. But there are still many more people who only see a car as a way to get from "A to B" as fast as possible without much regard for the risk. Too fast, brakes too hard, cruise control and maybe they were texting too...hello concrete.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
You people just sold me on new tires. At 24,000 they probably have life left, but they are 8 years old.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wonder where in Indiana?
19 August 2014 I drove out I-74 to visit my father in a health care facility in Crawfordsville. When I went out in the afternoon, I drove out with the top down. About 9:30pm on the way back home to Speedway it was raining. There was very little traffic. I was running about 80. There were some good squall lines. I was in he left lane on a slight downgrade approaching a bridge. It was a different bridge. The rear hydroplaned. The tail stepped out to the left. I depressed the clutch and gave the steering wheel a slight turn to the left. When I straightened out and let out on the clutch I was straddling both lanes.
4 hours later I got a call that I needed to go back to Crawfordsville.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Tires, Tires, Tires ... I need new shoes for the 08 GXP in March/April ... but the more I read on the forum the more confused I get. Simply want best HP summer tires for handing with moderate ability to handle occasional wet roads here in Colorado in Summer.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Extreme vs Maximum Performance tires

You could go to one of the three tires Tire Rack calls Extreme Performance Summer but you will spend more and loose some of the wet grip and some ride comfort in the bargain. AND according to their tests there is no dry performance increase over the PSS, which is considered in the Maximum Performance Summer category.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
Tires, Tires, Tires ... I need new shoes for the 08 GXP in March/April ... but the more I read on the forum the more confused I get. Simply want best HP summer tires for handing with moderate ability to handle occasional wet roads here in Colorado in Summer.
I went with Extreme Contact tires and love them. They have performed very well on both our "nearly stock" Sky and the Punisher which can stress any tire.

Tires by Brand at Tire Rack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts