Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer contacted me today if I were interested in a black solstice that they had available NOW. Sticker price 25,000. My price 28,000! They just asked another 3,000 on top of the sticker price... :devil:

I politely said: thanks, but no thanks. :brentil:

If anyone else is interested though, just let me know, I'll give you the details of the dealer, it's in Southern California.

I do look for alternative ways of getting my car sooner than the general waiting list, and I understand thight might come at a premium, but 3,000 is out of my league. Let's just say it wasn't the color I was looking for... ;)

Let's wait some more... :yawn:

·
4,592 Posts
where in socal?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, can you give a city? I known $3K markup is a big bite but this might be the starting point. I know of a few people who are looking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talk to Gail Cooper: gailc (at) martincad dot com

(I thought people would freak over such a premium, but aparently some are up to it...)

·
4,592 Posts
hagenaer said:

(I thought people would freak over such a premium, but aparently some are up to it...)
Not me, I want to go troll it :devil: J/K

Here in LA, a premium will be paid by some, hell, the condo next door made that much equity in the last 5 minutes :lol:

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
120 Posts
A dealer in NC was advertising Solstices in the Raleigh paper last Sunday. I called and they were offering one $5K over MSRP, but said they might be willing to come down $1K.

·
4,592 Posts
hagenaer said:

I looked up that .com, I came up with a location of 1 mile from the 405 and 10 interchange, West LA / Santa Monica......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8 Posts
mark-up

My dealer offered me a car that the buyer couldn't get financing for....It was the same color as what I've ordered and all. He only wanted $4K+ above the msrp. I told him I wait the 4 weeks or so for my car. He actually acted like he was doing me a favor instead of ripping me off!

·
Registered
397 Posts
swimr819 said:
My dealer offered me a car that the buyer couldn't get financing for....It was the same color as what I've ordered and all. He only wanted $4K+ above the msrp. I told him I wait the 4 weeks or so for my car. He actually acted like he was doing me a favor instead of ripping me off!
That sounds about right.
Don't you realize what a priviledge it is that these guys will ALLOW you to buy a vehicle from them? ;) You should consider yourself lucky! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's what I thought

swimr819 said:
Ah, now that's an opinion I was expecting.

If nobody would accept such a premium they wouldn't get away with it, but I guess it's the old supply and demand thing, oh well... If private parties can get away with it, why wouldn't a dealer do it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
hagenaer said:
Ah, now that's an opinion I was expecting.

If nobody would accept such a premium they wouldn't get away with it, but I guess it's the old supply and demand thing, oh well... If private parties can get away with it, why wouldn't a dealer do it.
I do not beleive someone should pay a private party over MSRP, what did they do to warrant the extra value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gone...

Wow. I guess 3,000 isn't that much of a premium...

IT'S GONE already. :eek: :crazy: :smash: :rolleyes: (the dealer wrote me)

Sorry guys, more luck next time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RODEO said:
hell, the condo next door made that much equity in the last 5 minutes :lol:
Jeez, so I guess I'm living in the wrong city to find a MSRP Sol any time soon (but then again, there might be no place you could find that).

·
4,592 Posts
:)
hagenaer said:
Wow. I guess 3,000 isn't that much of a premium...

IT'S GONE already. :eek: :crazy: :smash: :rolleyes: (the dealer wrote me)

Sorry guys, more luck next time.
Fools and their money............ :leaving:

I'm not surprised, but I still think these people who overpay are silly. Then again, there's so much freakin money in this state currently, anything goes........ :brentil:

People are overbidding on homes, why not cars. HAve you seen the crap you can get in the burbs of LA for 650K, ****ing unbelievable......

Watch out for RE, I see a crash imminent....A year or two from now, we're going to see tighter wallets, then a Sol willbe attainable for sain prices.

ME, I got 7-8K off each of our two MSM, and no one can tell me that's not a good deal.

·
4,592 Posts
PS, my dealer here says he will do msrp for any sol that comes on their lot, I have no idea if they'll stick to that. So, be sure to shop around.

Santa Clarita here at the 5 and 126 interchange.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One of the added inducements for dealers to ask for over MSRP is the fact that they are getting so few of these cars to sell, so they figure they'd better make the most of each one. So far as I know, just about every car manufacturer at one time of another has been faced with something they don't like, but legally can't stop: asking more than sticker. My uncle in 1989 paid an extra 12% for a Toyota Corolla (it was a temporary gas crunch or something). The first twin turbo Vette always went over list, I am informed.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RODEO said:
:)

People are overbidding on homes, why not cars. HAve you seen the crap you can get in the burbs of LA for 650K, ****ing unbelievable......
Yeah, you Cali people have driven up the prices of housing in AZ just by speculation buying.

ME, I got 7-8K off each of our two MSM, and no one can tell me that's not a good deal.
That's not a good deal!

(j/k, I just couldn't resist :lol: )

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
Yeah, you Cali people have driven up the prices of housing in AZ just by speculation buying.

That's not a good deal!

(j/k, I just couldn't resist :lol: )
Re point 1: Not me! But, it is insane what's going on with prices, I research RE on a dialy basis, there are some big problems coming for this market, and the economy..... I sold mine here, we didn't want the particular condo any longer, we want to move to FLAGSTAFF. These people bought our 900 sq ft condo for 365K, unbelievable....where's the value.......... :brentil: Heck, we bought the MSMs just as a treat, talk about laughing all the way to the bank :devil:

Re point 2:
8K off msrp and it has a trunk V. 3K over msrp and no trunk, well, I'm no mathmetician, but something doesn't add up here, especially since mine is faster :devil: Like I said, a fool and his money....... (not you editguy ;) )

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Soltice Mark-up, Mazda Speed Miata Mark-Down...

Hmmmm, so the MSM is marked down and the Solstice is marked up. I wonder if styling along with supply and demand has something to do with this? Anyway, you havn't seen nothin' yet. Wait till the Solstice hits the street. You'll see $5,000+ over MSRP in Cali before the end of the year. This has to be a nightmare for Mazda. Back to the drawing board. Expect to see an all new re-designed Miata for 2007 or 2008. Solstices will be "Zooming", sorry, I mean "Cruising" all across the country! :yesnod: :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts