Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
forget about it

someone made a good point earlier - that even though this car is occasionally driven out in the public, and shown in many other ways and forms, if an employee of the company talks about what they saw, even when in public, it can be considered proprietary information.

I don't like going into undefined grey areas, myself - so I'm taking the safe route and not stating any opinions about the car until I own one myself.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, thanks for the report :cool:

Rumor has it some non-flat things can fit in the rear end of the trunk in small space under the folded top. Would have to pickup top a little to access the space.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mceb said:
Wow, thanks for the report :cool:

Rumor has it some non-flat things can fit in the rear end of the trunk in small space under the folded top. Would have to pickup top a little to access the space.
hmmmm.... yeah, maybe that's so......... I saw a cavity that ran around the trunk space towards the rear of the car - maybe about 5-7 inches wide, and the same deep.... with the area continuing into a notched out area around the middle...... I guess my initial thought was that the top would fill that........ but maybe that is the space to use, and you aren't supposed to/or can't lay anything over the top when it's down.......

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Amanda,
Two basic questions for you. My Miata has a false pedal to the left of the clutch to rest you foot so your foot's not on the floor past the face of the clutch. Does the Sol have a similar pedal or is there any other type of foot support? Secondly, I'm an Architect and I need to carry a flat portfolio of drawings to meetings. Do you think a flat portfolio 2'x3' approximately 2" thick would fit in the trunk with the top down? I have actually had to borrow my wife's car to go to meetings because I couldn't get the a portfolio in my Miata. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
Amanda,
Two basic questions for you. My Miata has a false pedal to the left of the clutch to rest you foot so your foot's not on the floor past the face of the clutch. Does the Sol have a similar pedal or is there any other type of foot support? Secondly, I'm an Architect and I need to carry a flat portfolio of drawings to meetings. Do you think a flat portfolio 2'x3' approximately 2" thick would fit in the trunk with the top down? I have actually had to borrow my wife's car to go to meetings because I couldn't get the a portfolio in my Miata. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
I can answer one of these - according to a source of mine, the Solstice does indeed have a dead pedal.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
amandakoh said:
When I went to close the deck lid... I wasn't so sure it was "closed". I popped it again, and shut a little harder..... but there was still a gap at the top - not sure if it needs to be shut harder, or if there is a secondary lock that pulls it tighter........ or if that's just how it is.... I didn't get a good look at the gaps before the trunk was popped open. They put a sign on it, basically telling me hands off............ I mentioned the gap, but ?? It definitely didn't give me a good, solid, "I'm closed" sort of feel......
You have to give it a good "purposeful" slam. Well, slam is a bad word. A good shove. First few times with it I didn't get it closed right either (I too was being tentative with it as it was a new, unfamiliar car). When you get it right though, there is no gap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ex-Miata Man said:
Amanda,
Do you think a flat portfolio 2'x3' approximately 2" thick would fit in the trunk with the top down?
I think it might..... either before you put the top down, or after...

keep your fingers crossed, but I'll give you a hopeful thumbs up on that one. It might *just* work. :)

I'll give you a bigger thumbs up if your portfolio is flexible... and you wouldn't mind the corners on the back side bending a bit...

your clients wouldn't mind, right? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grimace said:
You have to give it a good "purposeful" slam. Well, slam is a bad word. A good shove. First few times with it I didn't get it closed right either (I too was being tentative with it as it was a new, unfamiliar car). When you get it right though, there is no gap.
same here.... (tentative with the car)... good to know it just wanted some harder love (and can take it!)
:lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amanda, I Am New To This Forum And And Live In Bloomfield, Michigan. I Am On The Wait List And Have The First Car That My Dealer Gets In His Initial Allocation. I Ordered The Car Months Ago But Of Course We Got FROZE Out So To Speak Of Getting The 1st 1000. My Question Is I See You Are From Oak Park. Where Did You Get The Opportunity To SIT And View A Solstice In Our Area. I Would Love To Experience The Car In Person. I Appreciate Your Time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
goat rag said:
I Am On The Wait List And Have The First Car That My Dealer Gets In His Initial Allocation.
I wish I could say the same. I was promised to have the first one at the dealer I chose, but then along came The Apprentice... :) I was really excited for GM, and the marketing campaign.... but a little bummed to be squeezed out...

I had been really excited to have this car for my 30th birthday - my first new car... but then, when I went to place my deposit, I found out the car was going to be about $1000 more than what I had priced out...

apparently, they were charging me for the "Protection Package", which I hadn't requested. I told them I didn't want it - but was told I had to get it... it wasn't optional. The dealer puts it on ALL of their cars. By that time I was really squeezed out from having the car in a timely manner..... and a little birdy told me it wasn't the wisest financial choice for me at this time, and, well........... I may just have to wait a little longer now.

I was going to do everything I could to own it this summer.... just was so excited... I'll be OK waiting, though... that way I can get to know more about the car before I buy. I hadn't seen the car except for at the auto show, either... wish I could see it more, but it was a chance thing... It was really exciting seeing it out and about, though. :)

BTW, did your dealer tell you that you had to get the Protection Package? Is that a normal practice? I haven't bought a new car before......... not sure if that happens often... but it sure sounds fishy to me. Especially since I wasn't even planning on driving it in the rain or snow!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Protection Package = a coat of polymer paint polish and they spray the interior with a can of Scotchguard = pure big buck profit for the dealer. Find a new dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
What LBJay said. It's NOT required, the dealer's just making that their policy apparently to try and milk more money out of you. It's not even a Solstice option, it's just a dealer thing. Find a new dealer who doesn't require this. My dealer here in Central Florida doesn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LBJay said:
Protection Package = a coat of polymer paint polish and they spray the interior with a can of Scotchguard = pure big buck profit for the dealer. Find a new dealer.
You know, I was totally aware of the fact that this was a big profit for them... but I was so wanting to go with the woman that worked at this dealership... and she was saying she couldn't do anything about it - that it was an order handed down from the owner...

So I made an offer I thought he couldn't refuse... I said that I would do a painting of a Solstice, in my free flowing, ethereal type style... was wanting to do one anyway... but it would be about 30" x 40"... a real boon to have something like this in their dealership... I would trade that original, one of a kind painting, for the "Protection Package"...

She said she would ask... the next day, she said it was not an option. The dealer had just remodeled, and said he was not going to put up any artwork.

I went ahead and ordered through her at that time....... but for other reasons, ended up canceling the order. It broke my heart to have to do that to her............... I had been conversing with her for months...

I agree, though............... that I shouldn't be giving that OWNER my business.......... and he was absolutely incredibly ignorant to give up an offer like that. That painting could be worth way more than what he was even thinking of charging me...............................

After he said no, I had the thought of doing it, and offering it for sale at auction, or on ebay.... explaining the situation.... very curious as to what it would sell for................... I don't like going back in time, and making people feel bad for past mistakes... but sometimes, it seems these things should be done.

He disrespected me, as a customer, in my opinion.

But maybe, too... he's just not worth my time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
amanda, My dealer is a friend of mine so fortunately I don't get jerked around so to speak. I would investigate another dealer. That protection package is a bunch of garbage to make an extra buck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Whoa....

LBJay said:
Now hold up a second. I'm not sure what protection package that particular dealer uses, and what they charge. If they require it, or even say they require, it does sound shady.

We do offer a service, not required, but it's a little more than just scotchguard and polymer. I won't get into detail, but it provides 5 yrs of protection on the interior, and any stain other than red dye, if we can't get it out, we replace it with OEM brand new...seat cover, headliner, carpet, anything on the inside. Also add a sound deadener to the underside, frame coating (except on trucks...GM trucks have hot-wax dipped rails,) and a teflon coating that fills in the "valleys" of your factory paint job. Don't need to come in every year, one time good for 5 years. Doesn't void factory corrosion warranty. If we take in a trade that has had a similar service done, we add a few hundred $$$ to the value. None of packages are real close to $1G though, blown-out top-of-the-line is $799 for leather/$599 cloth.

I will go into more detail if anybody wants...but what it amounts to is an additional "insurance" policy. Just like other insurance, if you never use it, then it is pure profit after application & material costs are taken out. But if you buy a car, how much would you spend in time, material, and the hassle of replacing your stained carpet to keep it like new?

Just my thoughts, not ruffling feathers or kicking sand, don't want it kicked back.

With regards to this particular dealer, I don't think I would do it, b/c they are trying to inflate profit by forcing you, and are prolly screwing you somewhere else as well. As to answer the profit issue, the salesman makes the profit if we sell one at my store, not the dealer. A lot of times, if somebody says they want to be @ XX $$/mo, if I can get them there w/ throwing in the package, I present it that way. Remember, this is how I put food on my table, and when you only sell 8-10 cars a month in the country, it all adds up.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have had 2 dealer tell me basically the same thing about the protection package (they put it on all of their cars).

Both times I didn't say anything about it until I was in the dealer to sign the final papers and pick up the car. While signing the papers I pointed out the extra charge, and said I didn't want the protection. They said it was already applied and therefore part of the delivered price. I told them I didn't order it and will not pay for it, and that they could un-apply it.

I then told them I was sorry but it really was a deal breaker, and started to leave. In both cases they stopped me before I got out of the door, and said they didn't want to lose my business. The said they would throw it in as a courtesy.

I have no problem with paying for things I order.

This isn't a game that I'm playing with the dealer, but something I feel strongly about (not paying for something you didn't order). I really hoped they would push the issue, because Michigan has some serious protection for the consumer, and I was hoping to file something in violation of Michigan's Consumer Protection Laws.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You are 100% right MI Sol, that sounds very suspect what that dealer is doing. You made the right move forcing them to "throw in" something you didn't order.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts