Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone else here also thinking about the elise? they arrive in april, and if the cost is ~40K like i was told...technically, i suppose, i could maybe afford one. but for me, that would mean no new house and no more mod money for the GP. i could de-mod the GP and trade it in, but that would leave me with the elise as my only vehicle. dunno bout that. that is what appeals to me about the solstice. i see it as a fat elise with manners. something i could drive everyday if i wanted, but with half the performance. its a compromise car, much like my GP.

so, this is what i am curious about. is the 20K pricetag of the solstice a major plus for you guys? would you still want one at a 30K price? or, if the elise was only $30K, would you get one instead of the solstice?

1900lbs and 190hp, eat that miata forum!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Lotous Elise is a fucking amzing car, it has such a powerful engine but it can hold those coners like you would not believe.:cheers
but the pric tag like u said....i'll wait until they can do a road test on the 2 of them before i make up my mind.:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Price Range (estimated MSRP): $55,000 - $60,000
Body Type: 2-door convertible
Layout: mid-engine, RWD
Engine: 190 hp, 135 lb-ft of torque, 1.8-L, DOHC, 16-valve I-4
Transmission: 6-spd manual
Acceleration (0 - 100 km/h): 4.9 seconds
Top Speed: 241.4 km/h (150 mph)
Brakes (front/rear): disc/disc, ABS
Seating Capacity: 2

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where did that 55 - 60 K price come from? Everything I've seen is contradicting that... (Info from: puresportscar.com)

US Elise Specs
Price est $39,000
Curb weight est 1975 lb
Wheel- base 90.6 in.
Track, f/r 57.0 in./59.0 in.
Length 149.0 in.
Width 67.7 in.
Height 45.2 in.
Fuel capacity 10.5 gal.
Engine & Drivetrain
Engine Toyota 2ZZ-GE dohc 16V inline-4
Bore x stroke 82.0 x 85.1 mm
Engine Size 1796 cc
Compr. ratio 11.5:1
HP (DIN) 190 bhp @ 7800 rpm
Torque 133 lb-ft @ 6800 rpm
Fuel delivery elect. sequential port
Trans 6-speed manual
Chassis & Body
Layout mid engine/rear drive
Brake system, f&r 11.1-in. drilled & vented discs,ABS
Wheels 16 x 5 1/2 f, 17 x 7 1/2 r
Tires Yoko; 175/55R-16 f, 225/45R-17 r
Steering type rack & pinion
Suspens., f/r upper & lower A-arms, tube shocks, coil springs, anti-roll bar/upper & lower A-arms, tube shocks, coil springs

·
Registered
535 Posts
At $30K the Solstice would drop from my radar. Alot of other interesting cars come into play at that price point.

For me cars are a horrible investment and I want to customize and tune to make them "my own". At 30k+ I get nervous about ripping them apart.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, I was hearing $30k-$40k for the Elise. If the Solstice was that much, it'd better be a lot more powerful than what it is right now and more than likely be offered as a V6. I'd rather have the Elise over the Z4 or S2000 or even the Solstice if it cost just as much. Even if the Elise came in right at $30k, I'd still go for the Solstice at $20k though.

Trying to buy an Elise however will be the hard part. I saw an auction on Ebay that was at $6k just for the opportunity to get to buy an Elise. No telling what the auction ended at. At that rate, the total price could be upwards of $40k-$50k.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies guys.

the dealer near me has an alotment of 250 the first year. only 200 have been paid for so far, so there still hope for me. well, and hope that im smart enough to resist.:smile

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well here is the info I have to offer.

Depending on the dealer nearest you, you can place a deposit for about a grand and get on the list for the elise. If you put your name down right now, you might get the car in late January-March of 05. Most dealers sell for MSRP which is 39,995 at base price. Other options tack on + or - $1500 a piece. There are 3 options. Touring pack, sports pack, and hard top. You can get all 3 in 1 car. 0-60 times for the Elise is under 5 seconds. The latest number was 4.6 seconds. Quarter mile was +or- 13 seconds. It will weigh in at less than 2000 lbs. The specs stated above were correct.

Obviously this car is in a different price range and different class than the Solstice. However, for the price, I believe the Solstice is comparatively the biggest bang for your buck along with the Elise. Essentially, if I was strapped for some cash, I would definitely be buying the Solstice. Since I am spending 40k on a car though, I cannot think of a better car to get than the Elise. Styling also plays a big factor with these cars - they are basically exact opposites. The Elise has strong curves and sharp lines - low strung and aggressive looking. The solstice is curvatious without a sharp line on its entire frame - a very sleek clean looking car. I think they are both a couple of sexy beasts. The Solstice will also have many more creature comforts. The Elise is strictly bare boned. If price is no object; I guess you really have to think about what your needs are, and what kind of a style your looking for in a car.

To each his own. ( I would like both :smile )

-Whit

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TooTall said:
Bizz, with the (at least) $20,000 dollars you save by choosing the Solstice, you could build a monster of a car it.
already on it TT! :D i could easily squeeze 20K from my GP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
......."is anyone else here also thinking about the elise? they arrive in april, and if the cost is ~40K like i was told...technically, i suppose, i could maybe afford one. but for me, that would mean no new house and no more mod money for the GP. ".......

Don't do that. House is an investment that comes first than something with 4 wheels (that instead starts loosing money the moment you roll out of the dealer).
Buy the house, and then a cheaper car (or better, wait for the solstice) :wink

Alex
2003 Honda 919
2003 Vw GTI 1.8 T
Seriously considering the Solstice (main factor, THE PRICE)
$250Ks equity on my 4 years old house :wink

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flatovercrest said:
......."is anyone else here also thinking about the elise? they arrive in april, and if the cost is ~40K like i was told...technically, i suppose, i could maybe afford one. but for me, that would mean no new house and no more mod money for the GP. ".......

Don't do that. House is an investment that comes first than something with 4 wheels (that instead starts loosing money the moment you roll out of the dealer).
Buy the house, and then a cheaper car (or better, wait for the solstice) :wink

Alex
2003 Honda 919
2003 Vw GTI 1.8 T
Seriously considering the Solstice (main factor, THE PRICE)
$250Ks equity on my 4 years old house :wink
i know i know:D you are echoing the voice of reason in my head. BUT, i can always wait a few more years for a house. i could never get an elise with a house payment. plus, a house doesnt give me a boner and the elise does!:D

ugh, i cant get an elise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I read an article on the upcoming Elise and by the end of the article I was completely turned off on the car. Sounds like it is purely a track car. Uncomfortable as a daily driver. Passenger side roughly 2/3 the size as the drivers side. No luggage space to speak of.

If I wanted a car for track events it would be great, but I want something that I could reasonable commute to work and back in, even if it's a summer/good weather only car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
skeptic said:
I read an article on the upcoming Elise and by the end of the article I was completely turned off on the car. Sounds like it is purely a track car. Uncomfortable as a daily driver. Passenger side roughly 2/3 the size as the drivers side. No luggage space to speak of.

If I wanted a car for track events it would be great, but I want something that I could reasonable commute to work and back in, even if it's a summer/good weather only car.
Actually, I will be using the elise as my daily driver. It is far from a track-only car. There is a sport suspension package you can order as well as LSD later down the road. Without the sport package it is not as harsh as you would think.

True, it has very little trunk space, so it had better not be your only car. But to shed some new light on the situation - the elise is actually one of the roomiest sports cars once you sit down in it. Much more room than an S2000, Miata, or MR-2. The seats are close, but not as close as you would think - and it is more than 2/3 the size over there, i can assure you.

I also will be getting a removeable hard top for the car, so bad weather (aside snow - but that happens maybe once a year where I am) won't be much of an issue.

I really dont see the car any different in a practicality sense than an MR-2, Miata, and probably a Solstice.

I do hate to tell you guys that if you are thinking about getting this car any time near april, you will be disappointed. The waiting lists at the dealers are reaching the 200 mark. This means even if you did order the car right this second - you will not be seeing it for at least a year and a half.

Just another reason to keep your eye on a solstice. :smile

-Whit

·
Registered
52 Posts
zcar222 said:
Actually, I will be using the elise as my daily driver. It is far from a track-only car. There is a sport suspension package you can order as well as LSD later down the road. Without the sport package it is not as harsh as you would think.

True, it has very little trunk space, so it had better not be your only car. But to shed some new light on the situation - the elise is actually one of the roomiest sports cars once you sit down in it. Much more room than an S2000, Miata, or MR-2. The seats are close, but not as close as you would think - and it is more than 2/3 the size over there, i can assure you.
<snip>

-Whit
I've never seen one in person, just going by what I read. What I read turned me off on the idea of wanting one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=7371&page_number=1
the Lotus Elise, as a closely focused driver's car, makes few compromises on behalf of the well-being of a passenger. You sit on a thinly padded seat in an aluminum tub (the Elise chassis is made from aluminum extrusions bonded together). There is hardly enough room for two, so the driver's seat is adjustable but the passenger's is fixed—and the cockpit space on the right-hand side is just two-thirds of that provided for the driver.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got to sit in one

This picture was taken at the Columbus, Ohio Auto Show. The guy I was talking to said it was a show version that they weren't supposed to drive because it doesn't have fully operable brakes. He, however, did drive it in the parking lot of the dealership and said it rode very nicely. He said he's driven several of the European spec Elises and this was right on with those. I had a lot more room in it than I thought I would. I'm 6' 175lbs and had plenty of leg room and I believe the seats are able to go back some as well. I didn't really observe the passenger side too much, but it appeared to be the same size as the driver side. You actually sit down to get inside of the car. You have to hold on to the top of the windshield and the top right behind your head and then step onto the floor pan, turn around, then sit down. Kinda tricky at first. There's a strip of aluminum in front of the seats that's probably 8 inches deep that you step on for traction. Once seated, everything is right there at your fingertips. The car fit like a glove. Your butt's only 4-5 inches off the ground as well. The seats had very nice support. I was incredibly surprised by the size of the steering wheel, it was probably only 12 inches in diameter. The pedals were spaced nicely and the shifter was at a perfect placement.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts