Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Solstice last December and it is a little rough. One of the things that really showed some wear was the "boomerang". It was quite dirty and scratched up. I took it off today with the intention of giving it a good cleaning, which I did, but it didn't come out very well. Plan B - give it a fresh coat of paint. I purchased some Rustoleum "Hammered Grey" which will adhere to plastic. Gave it a light sand and two coats of paint. It looks so much better. Not sure how it will hold up - I'll do follow up if it seems to be needed. Not sure how the shinier finish will go either - if it is too glossy - plan C is either a new boomerang or a vinyl applique.
dirty boomerang.jpg
dirty boomerang.jpg
dirty boomerang.jpg
dirty boomerang detail shifter.jpg
Dash repaint.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
That looks really good.
What was the degree of difficulty in removing it for painting?
Any tips?
Would you do a different colour than what you chose, after all?
I keep thinking about doing a dark birdseye woodgrain kit.
Thanks for posting.

ps:
I used a dark grey metallic vinyl film to cover the 'seatbelt / airbag' light.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I got my Solstice last December and it is a little rough. One of the things that really showed some wear was the "boomerang". It was quite dirty and scratched up. I took it off today with the intention of giving it a good cleaning, which I did, but it didn't come out very well. Plan B - give it a fresh coat of paint. I purchased some Rustoleum "Hammered Grey" which will adhere to plastic. Gave it a light sand and two coats of paint. It looks so much better. Not sure how it will hold up - I'll do follow up if it seems to be needed. Not sure how the shinier finish will go either - if it is too glossy - plan C is either a new boomerang or a vinyl applique. View attachment 111898 View attachment 111899 View attachment 111900 View attachment 111898 View attachment 111898 View attachment 111898 View attachment 111899 View attachment 111900
That looks great! I used that rustoleum for plastics on my grille several years ago and it has held up well. I also put the maple burl appliqué on about the same time and I love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks really good.
What was the degree of difficulty in removing it for painting?
Any tips?
Would you do a different colour than what you chose, after all?
I keep thinking about doing a dark birdseye woodgrain kit.
Thanks for posting.

ps:
I used a dark grey metallic vinyl film to cover the 'seatbelt / airbag' light.

Taking it out wasn't too hard. Getting all the wiring unhooked was probably the hardest part. I watched a You-Tube video on disassembling the dash that helped and bought a tool kit for interior trim.

I would have liked it a bit darker grey, but it still looks pretty good. I got everything back together and had a bit of a scare - the car wouldn't start. Then I remembered I had to engage the clutch! 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great! I used that rustoleum for plastics on my grille several years ago and it has held up well. I also put the maple burl appliqué on about the same time and I love it!
How fussy was the application of the applique? It looks good. If my paint job doesn't hold up, I may go that way

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
How fussy was the application of the applique? It looks good. If my paint job doesn't hold up, I may go that way
Not difficult at all. You don't even have to remove the boomerang or any knobs or vents. Just be careful how you place it initially. You can't move it around easily once it is stuck in place.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
I’ve been thinking about having mine hydrodipped.
Do you have pictures of yours to share?
Search is a wonderful thing. I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Like Rob, I had mine water dipped. Blue Carbon Fiber. $100 at the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If my paint doesn't stick I may give that a try. I'm a bit surprised it wasn't too aggressive. It looks great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts