Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This message is intended for Ms. Queen and I would ask, if possible, that you re-direct this to her.

Please understand I am not venting, but I speak for an awful lot of EOP people.

Isn't it time that Pontiac Division, specifically the Solstice Team, issued a bulletin to update all out there
what is ACTUALLY happening with to our cars.

We have F1K's FM's ZZ's and EOP's who haven't a clue when production...let alone delivery ....will take place.
We have people stuck at level 3000 or 3300 or 3400 for weeks on end with no movement. We have 3800's waiting
to go to 4200. We hear rumors about constraints, recalls, and plant hold backs. No one knows what is true

You are building - on average- less than 200 cars per week and you were intially backlogged 9000 EOP's.
Where are the problems...what are the hold ups ? What are the solutions?

Does any one at GM/Pontiac Division check the comments at Solsticeforum.com?
Does any one at GM/Pontiac Division post threads out there.

I got a letter in the Spring from "your Pontiac Solstice Team" but nothing since.
You have our e-mail addresses on that list. Why not publish an offical update which will dispell all the rumors.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope it finds it's way to Ms. Queen's desk.

Maybe Bob would like to know too, what's going on out there. We know HE reads the threads.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
druid-2,

I'm certain Lori Queen, Lutz, and a bunch of other GM people read these threads, so let it soak for a while and see what discussion this generates.

I know from the plant level, they are working as hard as possible to increase production, but you must understand that this is a new platform, a new car, and a throwback in many ways as far as production goes - especially for Wilmington.

I stated awhile ago that ramp-up, once production started, COULD take as long as SIX MONTHS (based on my experience in the automotive industry and working in assembly plants). This is not atypical. Even Mazda is (quietly) having startup difficulties over in Japan - you're just not hearing about it. It helps that Mazda hasn't pre-sold nearly 10,000 new MX-5's either, but that is a side point :lol:.

One cannot rush production acceleration - lest you end up with junk coming off the end of the line at 8 cars per hour.

·
Registered
504 Posts
"You have our e-mail addresses on that list. Why not publish an offical update which will dispell all the rumors."=Druid-2 quote.

Hey Pontiac how about getting your most loyal customers (buying sight unseen)
back in the loop.Throw Rover a bone so we can gnaw on it.I think you owe us that. :yesnod: :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can't rush production, espeically on a new product. And since there's no agreement between vendor and buyer (like you'd have in an industrial contract) to give the buyer status updates, they're not obligated to do so.

And since Pontiac isn't forcing you to buy their car and will return your money if you wish, I just don't see much of an argument. That's the beauty of having a unique product in limited supply that has a high demand.

Classic economic example, actually. Supplier underestimates demand and cannot fill orders fast enough. No equivalent on the market. All that has to happen now is the price to go up at the dealer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
druid-2 said:
This message is intended for Ms. Queen and I would ask, if possible, that you re-direct this to her.

Please understand I am not venting, but I speak for an awful lot of EOP people.

Isn't it time that Pontiac Division, specifically the Solstice Team, issued a bulletin to update all out there
what is ACTUALLY happening with to our cars.

We have F1K's FM's ZZ's and EOP's who haven't a clue when production...let alone delivery ....will take place.
We have people stuck at level 3000 or 3300 or 3400 for weeks on end with no movement. We have 3800's waiting
to go to 4200. We hear rumors about constraints, recalls, and plant hold backs. No one knows what is true

You are building - on average- less than 200 cars per week and you were intially backlogged 9000 EOP's.
Where are the problems...what are the hold ups ? What are the solutions?

Does any one at GM/Pontiac Division check the comments at Solsticeforum.com?
Does any one at GM/Pontiac Division post threads out there.

I got a letter in the Spring from "your Pontiac Solstice Team" but nothing since.
You have our e-mail addresses on that list. Why not publish an offical update which will dispell all the rumors.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope it finds it's way to Ms. Queen's desk.

Maybe Bob would like to know too, what's going on out there. We know HE reads the threads.
CHILL-OUT DUDE :cool: :cool: :cool: They are doing a good job with a new production vehicle. My mantra: give us a quality vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I feel his frustration, but as a F1k that is still waiting I also am willing to wait for as long as it takes for Pontiac and GM to do my car right. I don't want to keep taking it back to the dealer for constant recalls or heaven forbid reworking of some major assembly at the factory. To rush the product through is to risk the wrath of the ITOLDYASO crowd. Eagerness as summer fades away here in the northeast can only be comfortrd by the knowledge that this car is a model year 2006 and as such its introduction is still early.

NOTE: Despite what I say above I do not work for GM, Pontiac, or any GM dealer or supplier and do not presently to the best of knowledge own or are the beneficiary of any GM stock.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my original point was........

just put out a bulletin with what's going on

Solsticeman/Zolsol/Matt123 I'm not PUSHING for anything ...yes I want quality and I'm prepared to wait

Solsticeman ....we both work(ed) in the industry.
All I'm asking is a note from GM telling us where we are...what's wrong...what's right and what's evolving - is that too much to ask ???

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
druid, GM won't admit in a public venue whether or not they have or do not have problems with production or quality. It's like world countries that will not admit wrongdoing because that would validate the issue that they have for years denoed existed. For GM to issue an update claiming errors and problems, except when ordered by the EPA or NHSTACLPTYUAW would be to admit that they were fallible, a word that is not found in ANY GM documentation anywhere.

B

·
0 Posts
I would like to see GM direct ALL Pontiac dealers to educate everyone who has ordered a car on the process of ordering, and what to expect, along with monthly or bi-weekly status updates. Keeping people in the dark has never been a good business model.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just to set the record straight.

Although I am recent to the forum I have been involved since early '04
I recognize the value of the Forum as a roundtable.
I also recognize that there are many many people who have more technical knowledge and insider-automotive knowledge than I have.
I was advised by my dealership early last March ('05) after a year+ of cajoling and wheedling that I could place my order for the 1st 1000. That was actually done 03-05-05...including taking 2 grand from me on the spot. Then Pontiac changed the rules and came up with plan "B" (aka the apprentice program)
So now i'm like everyone else ---an EOP Grade 3000 with no real promise

I have written the car off for this year ......twice already .

Impatient- no more than any one else.
Frustrated...no more than any one else
In a rush....no more than any onle else

But since May 2nd I've heard nothing directly from GM.
What I got I read on the Forum (before I joined)

I'm not a kid...I know the rules.....I'd just like some concrete input from GM

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think where the problem comes in is that GM has involved us in this process! They ran this program and gave us a few updates and threw us a party so it makes it harder to seperate us when they hit a snag. When you have a party and tell a bunch of people their cars are shipping and will be there soon they build expectations.

I understand the startup process will take time and they may hit snags but I think GM created this monster by involving the customer so I think a little info of some sort wouldn't be out of line. No one is saying don't fix the problem and send us a poor quality car. Just a revised delivery timetable without explanatation of the problem would probably calm many of the anxious.

·
5,641 Posts
druid-2 said:
Then Pontiac changed the rules and came up with plan "B" (aka the apprentice program)
Pontiac never changed the rules. The Early Order Program was the plan/rules from the start.

druid-2 said:
But since May 2nd I've heard nothing directly from GM.
And you will not hear anything more. It is the dealership's responsability to keep their customer's informed. GM doesn't require contact infomation when an order is place and has no system and perhaps no right to contact. The only reason you heard in May was to close out the Early Order Program for those that did not get selected for one of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
In Pontiac's defense:
It's not normal for people to purchase a car that they have not seen or driven yet. The idea that Pontaic would have a system in place to keep in constant contact with 10,000 people is nuts. When your car is ready, they'll let you know. If not, we will! We're tracking them off the rail cars in Georgia. :thumbs: SolsticeForum sees all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dru....are you going to be happy if you're VIN 1000 and it's delivered on October 15th?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't want to get anything started but as far as people wanting to know I would have to say and maybe this will clarify some other things I have said in the past, but the only people that GM would need to communicte with is the people with an EOP car because they have involved us through the program but after that there is no connection to need to communicate with anyone else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most Dealerships are clueless!!!

Small Dealer said:
Pontiac never changed the rules. The Early Order Program was the plan/rules from the start.

And you will not hear anything more. It is the dealership's responsability to keep their customer's informed. GM doesn't require contact infomation when an order is place and has no system and perhaps no right to contact. The only reason you heard in May was to close out the Early Order Program for those that did not get selected for one of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices.
Small dealer..... You are an exception to the rule, but most dealers are clueless. I live in VA and still waiting to see one, so I called 4 dealerships yesterday and the salesperson tried to convince me that they haven't started production. I told her that some have been delivered and you could tell she thought I was out of my mind.

The only place I have found to get some info is this forum even though not all of it is correct. Rumors exist and you hear so many different things that you don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Small Dealer said:
If this is true, then why is EOP HQ still in operation, and what about the recent posts that said the first 1000 EOP participants would be receiving another FedEx package this week with additional info on financing?

·
5,641 Posts
Sol Deep said:
If this is true, then why is EOP HQ still in operation, and what about the recent posts that said the first 1000 EOP participants would be receiving another FedEx package this week with additional info on financing?
I was speaking (posting) to someone who is not one of the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices.

The EOP HQ is and will be in opperation until all the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices and delivered, verified and all diecasts/certificates are sent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
only EOP's have rights?

I am not an EOP person. I missed the Trump show. I wouldn't watch that for any amount of money. I ordered the solstice without even seeing it just after hearing about it word of mouth. I somehow feel that I just might have everybit as much right to an update about my involvement with GM as an EOP. :)

·
5,641 Posts
tls3028 said:
I am not an EOP person. I missed the Trump show. I wouldn't watch that for any amount of money. I ordered the solstice without even seeing it just after hearing about it word of mouth. I somehow feel that I just might have everybit as much right to an update about my involvement with GM as an EOP. :)
Your post title was "only EOP's have rights?".

The "right to update" that you want, was GM contacting those who participated in the EOP and didn't receive one of the 1000 Frist 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices, and telling them they better go to their dealerships and order a car if they want to get one. There have been and will be no other "updates" provided to those in that group. If you didn't participate in the EOP, then you have no "right" to be included in it's closing.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts