Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a great compliment a little while back, a guy was all over my car to where I had to back him up a little...saying he loved the car, the color, the turbo, the power, the stance, and my rears which are 275/45/18 which he asked if they were stock....then killed it by saying he was going to get a 2012 or 13 if the price was right. I asked what he thought it was (its debadged) and he said porsche....I walked away.....

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
And then they are shocked to find out it came out years ago.
me too !

I am still having fun -- going on my 7th year of ownership -- all of that time spent on this forum . :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Last summer I had the parking brake lever taken apart to repaint the scratched plastic. I had to move it out of the garage as one of my wife's daycare clients was picking up her child. My wife said I was making her nervous because I had the brake apart. The mom asked "What do you mean he has the brake apart?"

"The previous owner scratched up the parking brake handle, so Tom's repainting it."

"That's USED???? I thought that was brand new!"

·
Registered
763 Posts
The spring has sprung, the grass has riz.
I wonders where the Solstices is.

Living in an area with 4 distinct seasons, it really is nice when the Solstices start popping out of garages when the weather starts warming up. And it does seem like they all look new again!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Kappa kompliments...another reason GM needs to reconsider the reintroduction of the Kappa II. The C6 continues to go up-market (that leaves no entry-level sports car in GMs product portfolio) along with GM did manage to find a way to reintroduce the 2014 Pontiac G8...:lol:

Luckily, Pontiac and GXP badges are currently available on Ebay :devil:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Well, the only complements I have gotten so far has been from kids but I really don't go out to too many places. My 73 vette was a daily driver and I got thumbs up everyone and of course the WAVE from fellow vette owners but I'm proud of my little solstice so whoever doesn't like it can eat me.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
My last Chevy was a 77 Z28. T top.

It leaked
puked the clutch out on the side of the road
had electrical problems, every time you put on the parking brake the parking lights came on
and it was slow.

And my last Chevy.

Until the Kappa came out, it was to be my last GM vehicle.

This fillowing:
68 GTO
Vega
Z28

The GTO was wonderful but I got married . ..

The Vega was for the wife and the danm thing refused to die! I did everything short of outright sabotage to get it to die and it would not.

The Z was a piece of crap. But then just about all domestic cars were crap then.

Since then I went with a couple of 5.0 Mustangs, several F150s, a couple of Rangers, and two Jeeps. We now have KIAs for daily drivers, two Kappas for fun and the F150 to do the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
We always go to a nearby State Park for a Halloween camping outing. Last year the weather was unseasonably warm and we were staying an extra day. So Sunday we're rolling through the campground with the top down on our way to go get some lunch. Of course there are people walking everywhere so we're just creeping. As we rolled past a group of 16-18 year old boys I heard one of them exclaim "That's a PONTIAC??"

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Was also neat last September during the Michigan Kappa Club's end of summer run. Stopped for a bio break at a gas station/store out in the sticks and a group of motorcyclists happened to stop also. At least half of them wandered over to check out the string of a dozen Kappas we had lined up!

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
We have been out on a short drive in town and had people stop in the middle of the road to just stare at the Dragon.

I have had offers of . . . pashion . . at stop lights from female persons unknown to me. With my wife in the car.

I have been offered a trade on the spot from guys in full boat pick up trucks while stopped at a light.

Daily I get asked how much is invested . . and knowledgable people do not believe the low number I give them. But I do have my own painter.:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
My last Chevy was a 77 Z28. T top.

It leaked
puked the clutch out on the side of the road
had electrical problems, every time you put on the parking brake the parking lights came on
and it was slow.
IIRC I have owned exactly one Chev, a 1970s station wagon for towing my British race cars. It succumbed to the common 350 problem of flat cam lobes and was sent to a junker somewhere. Otherwise I always towed with Mopar products.

I don't buy cars because of what make they are, I only buy them because of what they are, so I have zero marque loyalty to anything. Chevrolet never made a sports car except for the truck-like Corvette, so Chevrolet was never attractive to me.

Interesting that I have owned 5 Pontiacs - 2 were gifts/inherited, a Pontiac Acadian (looking for the gag symbol) and a 72 455 Le Mans Convert (nice car ....unless you wanted to stop or go around corners).

The Fiero and Solstice were bought because they were interesting sports cars, not because they were Pontiacs.

The other Pontiac we own - wife's 04 Montana, just happened to be a Pontiac that crossed our paths when she wanted a people mover.

I do have to give Pontiac credit for creating the only American sports cars made in the last 50 years that had any attraction for me. The Corvette has come a long way from the early days but still doesn't appeal to me, and the Corvair for some reason never did turn my crank.

I wonder why Chevrolet never made any small or midsized interesting sports cars when Pontiac did it twice?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
a Pontiac Acadian
My mom had one of those. That'd be a Chevy Chevette for all the Americans... Made at the plant in Wilmington, DE.

I wonder why Chevrolet never made any small or midsized interesting sports cars when Pontiac did it twice?
One word: Corvette. Never wanted to give the impression that there was a reason to buy anything else.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Regarding other Chevrolet "sportscars" ~ they did sell a lot of Camaros

People say, "That's a GM product?"

Answer, "Well, it used to be made by them... before they killed Pontiac."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Still get quite a few complements on the car when I have it out. Most folks never believe how cheap it was, solely based on how it looks (price is generally one of the first questions after "what is that?").

Had someone at the dog park ask me if it was a Mercedes. Told him it was a Pontiac, he gave a very puzzled look in return, then just kind of walked away. The dog park gets extra fun when I park my Solstice next to the single owner, all original, 69 Camaro owned by a very nice little 70 year old lady and her sheltie (manual and no ps mind you. she is a badass grandma). Many of the family men bringing their dogs to the park will stop and circle around both cars for a bit, before entering the park with very solemn looks on their faces :lol:

One of my favorites happened when pulling out of Cars and Coffee one morning. I overheard a husband telling his wife, "Hear that honey? That's one of them V8 Solstices." Got a chuckle out of that. Did not have the heart to turn around and tell him it was just a 4 cylinder with a well made exhaust system (well played Solo. Well played :thumbs:).

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
lol Tug! Had a funeral a few weeks ago for an Aunt of my wife's. (That's not the funny part.) One of my wife's cousins saw us pulling into the hall in our Solstice. I got out and took a cell call just as he was asking "Does that have a 6 or an 8 in it?" Since I was already on the call I just held up 4 fingers and watched him turn into the RCA Victor dog - puzzled look and cocking his head to the side.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree, that the car ( dark blue metallic new in Jan. 2006) still gets its fair share of compliments.
But, not a much as my other mid-life crisis car (2009 ruby red Solstice coupe). Bought it last September and decided to have new tires install at a local shop, and some of the other customers as me why I was installing new tires on a new car. I told them that the car is a 2009. They didn't know that Pontiac came out with a coupe.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts