Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wen ton Ebay out of curiosity. on the very first page when I searched for Solsti, there were 6 of the 1st 1000. Many of which were selling for OVER 30k. Also, someone is misrepresenting theirs as VIN #1 when its actually #679(or somewhere around there). I can't believe that people would buy these cars just to turn a profit on them. Shes a work of art people, not a cash cow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Believe it or not, for some people the solstice is just a car. Even more shocking, there are millions of people right here in the USofA that have no idea what a Solstice is and if you told them, they wouldn't care.

It's a capitalist society, I fail to see what the problem is. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. And if GM could get their production woes straightened out, you wouldn't see them on eBay.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Matt123 said:
...and if you told them, they wouldn't care.
But when they see one... a new story begins.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And don't forget...

just because it is LISTED on eBay for $30000+, it doesn't mean it is SELLING for that much. eBay is a great and accurate test of true market value, and based on what has been happening, that value is approximately $27,000 for a pretty loaded Solstice.

And like the other person said...they are just cars, and any new to market, hard to get ahold of car will sell above MSRP and there will be people out to make a buck. I've thought about going into business doing just that, but it is too much of a pain to get a dealer license. Don't fight it, try it! Make some $$$ and keep the ones you like. : )

·
Registered
141 Posts
jerzkid said:
I just wen ton Ebay out of curiosity. on the very first page when I searched for Solsti, there were 6 of the 1st 1000. Many of which were selling for OVER 30k. Also, someone is misrepresenting theirs as VIN #1 when its actually #679(or somewhere around there). I can't believe that people would buy these cars just to turn a profit on them. Shes a work of art people, not a cash cow.
In this age of "FLIPPING" eveything for a profit, how can you be surprised ??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04CTSVforMe said:
just because it is LISTED on eBay for $30000+, it doesn't mean it is SELLING for that much. eBay is a great and accurate test of true market value, and based on what has been happening, that value is approximately $27,000 for a pretty loaded Solstice.

And like the other person said...they are just cars, and any new to market, hard to get ahold of car will sell above MSRP and there will be people out to make a buck. I've thought about going into business doing just that, but it is too much of a pain to get a dealer license. Don't fight it, try it! Make some $$$ and keep the ones you like. : )

From what I saw, current bids were at 30+ with some buyouts as much as 35

·
5,600 Posts
supply and demand for the first few months. By spring it will all go away. These cycles of getting premiums for a popular all-new car don't last more than 6-months or so, e.g. the Miata and PT Cruiser. Mustang GTs are still hard to come by, but I don't think they are commanding huge premiums anymore. Most seem to be going for MSRP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
jerzkid said:
I can't believe that people would buy these cars just to turn a profit on them. Shes a work of art people, not a cash cow.
:lol: :lol: Tell Sotheby's about that. Maybe they'll refund their commissions on the $105M Picasso sale.

·
Registered
278 Posts
jimbo said:
Mustang GTs are still hard to come by...
are they? i see plenty of them sitting on the ford lot when i drive by. even the convertibles, roush, saleen, and galipinized GT's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
tednelson83 said:
are they? i see plenty of them sitting on the ford lot when i drive by. even the convertibles, roush, saleen, and galipinized GT's.
It must depend on where you live. Around me, you cannot touch a GT on a dealers lot (although you can get a Saleen). Waiting lists are running about 6 months to get a 'Stang GT order delivered too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't believe that people would buy these cars just to turn a profit on them. Shes a work of art people, not a cash cow.

If I hit the lotto here in Florida tonight... I will buy one tomorrow (tide me over until mine is here). I do agree with you though.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wait til everyone sees the actual car in person......

None of the prices should shock anyone. Wait til the majority of the cars that are in Wilmington, DE are shipped. The over MSRP will go through the roof! When people see the car, the big rule of Supply and Demand will weigh heavily on the street price. :yesnod:

·
2,574 Posts
$$ISKING said:
In this age of "FLIPPING" eveything for a profit, how can you be surprised ??

Exactly, really making a valuable contribution to society. Their mothers must be so proud! :lol: Hey, at least they pay for their own meals. Just don't want em near my daughter. :lol:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
$$ISKING said: "In this age of "FLIPPING" eveything for a profit, how can you be surprised ??"

Yea, people buy a condo in Florida even before construction begins. By the time it is finished, the market value has doubled, so they decide to take the money and run. I would too!

·
Registered
936 Posts
tednelson83 said:
Dealer close to me has had the same Mustangs on his lot for months . I know because my son was considering buying one and I see them everytime I go to my Solstice dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Yesterday my dealer told me ZO6 versions of C6
Corvette are going for $20k premium over MSRP and he has standing offers from other dealers to purchase any from him (if he could get one) at MSRP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well...

it happens with all kinds of new cars.

People were paying $5000-10,000 over sticker for 2004 Cadillac CTS-V's, yet mine sat on a dealer's floor for over 1 year and I got it for $11,000 off sticker. ;)

The sad part is, hint hint for you Solstice seekers, is that a list of zip codes and gmbuypower.com will tell you exactly what model cars are available in which markets.

VW Beetles were going to other, non-VW car lots in the Dallas area and selling for $5000+ over MSRP while the dealers where I grew up (Allentown, PA) had them lined up. That kind of thing makes me think of getting into the business. Go way upscale, and people were actually paying $25,000-50,000 for the right to buy 911 Turbos and SL65 AMGs. Man...flip one per year... :cool:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I don't know how much the original Cobras were selling for back in the early sixties. Probably high but not rediculous.

Well, Carroll Shelby had a boxcar load (or more) of parts left over and placed in storage. So he decided to assemble some more authentic Cobras and sell them. Guess what the price was?

$500,000, each!

Guess what Mr. Shelby did with the proceeds?

Every penny to charity. What a guy!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
SFS (Seven Flag Salute). The highest of my honors. To you, Mr. Shelby!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts