Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sound of my GXP ( with 75k miles ) has changed recently.
During a wash, it was observed that one of the tail pipes is no longer attached to the muffler canister.

My concern is that this car has the GMPP installed.
Notice in the first photo that the tail pipe has an inner 'lining' ( for the lack of a better term ) It looks like one pipe inside another.
Whereas a stock GXP tail pipe ( shown below ) does not.

So, what does this mean to me when I start searching for a replacement muffler ?

I will search to determine what Magnaflow has.

Anybody know of more-stock-like options ?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
the 'bubba' in me would, if the muffler metal is sound, is just to reinforce and reweld the tailpipe into the existing muffler.

Bill

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,456 Posts
As I recall, the GMPP muffler for the GXP was made by Borla, and it had replaceable tailpipe covers, but I'm not remembering too well. Let me see if I can dig up anything that might be helpful . . .

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,456 Posts
As I recall, the GMPP muffler for the GXP was made by Borla, and it had replaceable tailpipe covers, but I'm not remembering too well. Let me see if I can dig up anything that might be helpful . . .
Sorry, I struck out, I thought I had a brochure from GMPP with all their offerings for the Solstices, but if I have it, I can't find it. The info is in this forum somewhere, I'll go a bit of searching, see if I can find it.

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,456 Posts
Sorry, can't find it. Searched my stack of Solstice stuff for the flyer, and came up with a cat back muffler kit for the NA, but nothing on the GXP.

You are on your own on this one.

Borla probably won't have anything as they manufactured it for either GM Accessories or for GM Performance Parts, both of which took a dive in the GM Bankruptcy in 2009-10.

:dunno:

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I would second what Bill said. It's a stainless muffler in good condition (from the photo). I'm sure you could take it your local independant muffler shop and they'd re-weld it. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask them.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,456 Posts
For what it's worth, the original GM part number is 19166012 and was priced at over $900. Needless to say, not many were ever sold (my opinion). It won't do you much good today. I think take it to a good muffler shop and get them to re-weld the pipe, remind them it is stainless steel, as is the muffler.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for reference, found ( from other threads ) references to BORLA products, but these are for 2.4 cars

borla 17802058

borla 140170

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was lucky. The tech was able to weld the pieces back together. There was no rust at all, so he thought the cause was just stress from the muffler bouncing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts