Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you are still wondering where you are going to put your golf clubs. Several Chrysler dealers in the Phoenic Metro Area are offering Chrysler Crossfire roadsters with MSRPs over $40K for under $30 via internet pricing camplaigns. That is a loaded 300 HP roadster WITH A TRUNK for a handful of cash over the cost of the loaded Sol. I just thought I would pass this along . . . something to think about while you are waiting . . . and waiting . . . and waiting.

·
5,600 Posts
No thinking required. Nothing will scratch my itch right now like a Solstice. Sure I could spend more money for a Crossfire and it might even be the better car, who knows? But then I would not have a Sosltice. NOT acceptable! :cuss:

What's that Van Halen song? I'll wait, thankyaveruhmutch. :yesnod:

·
Registered
767 Posts
It looks like the other manufacturers are getting wary of the Solstice launch. Saturate the market before the Solstice hits the street? How much do you suppose they will drop after the Solstice comes out?

·
Registered
114 Posts
the fact that they cannot sell those XFires tells you something. The Chrysler dealers can hardly service them, they have to use the Mercedes diagnostic system on them, and their techs are not up to speed on them in many cases.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That's one thing I really like about Pontiac's approach with the Solstice. They kept it affordable for the average Joe right from the start. It seems so many cars start out with some ridiculously inflated price just because they know the hot new car will be able to command a premium for a couple of years. Then, the excitement dies down and people realize there's no way the car should be selling for that much money, so they just start dropping the prices down to where they should have been in the first place. So the used cars take huge hits when it comes to depreciation. Think about all those poor schmucks who bought a Crossfire for $40k a year ago. Now they wouldn't even be able to get $30k for their one-year-old car because that's what the new ones are selling for now.

We shouldn't have to worry about that with the Solstice. They aren't gouging for the new design and in fact, they could probably even raise the price a bit and still be competetive (hopefully they don't). But let's face it ... there's no way they can drop the price on thest things much lower than they are. And I honestly think this car looks better than any other car under $50k, with the possible exception of the Lotus Elise. But from everything I've heard, the Elise isn't great as a daily driver ... and I wouldn't even want to think about the maintenance/repair costs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
AZJuez said:
Just in case you are still wondering where you are going to put your golf clubs. Several Chrysler dealers in the Phoenic Metro Area are offering Chrysler Crossfire roadsters with MSRPs over $40K for under $30 via internet pricing camplaigns. That is a loaded 300 HP roadster WITH A TRUNK for a handful of cash over the cost of the loaded Sol. I just thought I would pass this along . . . something to think about while you are waiting . . . and waiting . . . and waiting.[/QUO

I have never even seen one on the road, is anyone even buying them?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i know one person, my best friend just got a silver coupe. i wonder if he got it at a discounted price... but yea, i dont see many of them around here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Speaking of waiting, and waiting and waiting. It was too hot here today to ride around in a convertible anyway. Not a drop of rain for more than a week though. Guess I could have used it some. Oh well. Fall is my favorite time of year. Maybe this one will be even better. Still waiting on a First 1000... :lurk:

·
Registered
281 Posts
My cousin actually had a Crossfire for a little while. She had an older S2000, and wanted something more "grown-up" I guess. She ended up returning the Crossfire, and getting a brand new S2000. I've read on www.s2ki.com that brand new S2000's can be had in Southern California for $29,200.

After seeing pics of the Solstice, it's easy to see how loved it'll be, it's beautiful, but geez, you're right, that trunk is nigh useless.

·
Registered
350 Posts
AZJuez said:
offering Chrysler Crossfire roadsters
correct me if I am wrong, but the crossfire doesn't come as a convertable does it? If that is the case then it is not a roadster, which means it has a bit of a different market. I am looking for a convertable not a coup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Crossfire is available as a convertible.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

The Crossfire has just become available as a convertible this year.

I have driven one and out of all the vehicle that I have test driven while killing time waiting for the Solstice, I would say that the Crossfire was the most impresive. It has the feel of a much more "together" vehicle than others I have driven.
I was least impressed with the S2000.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Crossfire

godspeed06 said:
i know one person, my best friend just got a silver coupe. i wonder if he got it at a discounted price... but yea, i dont see many of them around here.
They are a dime a dozen around Southern Ontario

·
Registered
305 Posts
Happened to drop by and look at crossfire's yesterday.

The high end car is stickered at $45K for the coupe, the roadster at $39K , but this is not the high end motor. So when you say 40K for the roadster
you are not getting their new high end motor. The low end coupe was stickered at 30K (quite a difference to the high end model). Also
this did not include leather in the car??? Blew my mind at those prices.

They are nice, but I never liked the "plastic interior", looks cheap in such
and expensive car.

I am not backing away from the solstice, I did confirm a production date of 7/18 for my car. The dealer said I was more informed than they were.

Thanks to this forum.

Hang in there everybody we are getting close!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeppers, it comes in a convertable!

SolsticeDesire said:
correct me if I am wrong, but the crossfire doesn't come as a convertable does it? If that is the case then it is not a roadster, which means it has a bit of a different market. I am looking for a convertable not a coup.
The Crossfire Roadster is very much a convertable, and is actually better looking than the Coupe by most standards. Pretty neat car, with a M/B drive train and real trunk!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I'd say it is a roadster, even though there is a hardtop coupe of the Crossfire. The Crossfire is essentially a re-bodied Mercedes SLK roadster (the prior generation SLK). That car has a retractable hardtop.

So when Chrysler added their body to the platform, they first came out with a coupe version, and then later added the roadster. The Crossfire roadster uses a softtop instead of a retractable hardtop.

At any rate, I'd still consider it a roadster. Its not much different than if GM comes out with a Solstice coupe. The roadster will still be a roadster, even if there is a steel roofed version running around.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bought_It said:
I am not backing away from the solstice, I did confirm a production date of 7/18 for my car. The dealer said I was more informed than they were.
That's kind of obvious since they're still giving out those production dates for an individual car. I hate how uninformed all the dealers out there seem to be. Oh well ... if you're in the first 1000, that date might still be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am in the first 1000 and if time stamps have anything to do with it I am in the middle of the pack.

But if Sly is the first color produced I luck out and will move up.

Also being close to the plant my ship time (hopefully) is only 2 hours.

Most salesman are boneheads and are only in that job for a short time.

The woman I ordered with has been with that dealer 10 years, which is an eternity
in car salesman years.

She admitted needing help on EOP day, but she got it and this dealer managed
to get 3 out of 5 orders they had in the first 1000, pretty good. So at this point I ain't
complaining (know what I mean).

Enjoy and keep optimistic!!!!!!!!

Keeping my hopes up for august.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Why does everyone keep assuming that the plant can only produce 1 color of car at a time? A plant can do many colours and many car configurations at a time.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It's not that they can't do more than one color at the same time, but the fact that they may group them by color anyway. Several people I have spoken to have indicated that there will be some form of grouping in the process. We don't necessarily know what will be a factor, but at least one EOP person I spoke to hinted they may run certain colors first. That probably wouldn't be as appealing of an option during the normal run of a car, because there probably wouldn't be quite as much of a backlog of orders. But with thousands of orders sitting out there, they may as well group them by whatever will save them the most time. And several factors may come into play ... color/trim level, etc. There is no official word yet as to how that will work though, so it's just speculation at this point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts