Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are interested in what kind of sub and speakers will fit in the Solstice here is what I put in and it sounds great:

JBL P650C 6 1/2 Two Way Components For Front
JBL P452 Rear 4 Inch Two Way Speakers for Rear
Kicker COMP-VR 8 Inch 2x20HM Subwoofer
JBL CS50.4 Amp
Custom Enclosure for Sub
Rear Mounted Amp with Custom Enclosure
Dynamat Entire Rear Panel Area
Dynamat Underneath Both Doors
Custom Grill Through Factory Panel

Total Cost $1236.15

Good Tunes in your Car: Priceless! :devil:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Did you leave in your deck unit or have that replaced too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left the Stock Deck Unit, I did not want to alter the look or feel of the car at all. I love the interior and the stock unit is fine since it is basically a Recieved/CD pre-amp now and provides no power to the speakers.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Where did the sub go? Any pics of the install yet?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rocksman said:
For those of you who are interested in what kind of sub and speakers will fit in the Solstice here is what I put in and it sounds great:

JBL P650C 6 1/2 Two Way Components For Front
JBL P452 Rear 4 Inch Two Way Speakers for Rear
Kicker COMP-VR 8 Inch 2x20HM Subwoofer
JBL CS50.4 Amp
Custom Enclosure for Sub
Rear Mounted Amp with Custom Enclosure
Dynamat Entire Rear Panel Area
Dynamat Underneath Both Doors
Custom Grill Through Factory Panel

Total Cost $1236.15

Good Tunes in your Car: Priceless! :devil:
Does the stock head unit have pre-amp outputs? Or did you use speaker line level inputs on the new amp? And/or how did you connect the amp to the head unit?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wonderful questions AJB. I'm curious to know as well.

The only reason I'm considering a new deck is for one with an ipod connection so I can control it from the wheel or deck.

There's a space for a sub behind the passengers seat, 2KWK4U.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
ralph_on_me said:
There's a space for a sub behind the passengers seat, 2KWK4U.
Oh yah. Well aware of that. I'm just curious about how 'custom' the enclosure is. The shop I used to install for would have charged well over $1300 to do a decent sub behind the passenger's seat... and that was a little over 10 years ago.

I've been in there, there isn't much space. To do it like I would like to will require a fiberglass enclosure to take advantage of what little space there is, and that takes lots of time and $$.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aww, you can't do the fiberglass yourself? :D

Getting the right enclosure size is the hard part... :cryin:

I was planning on seeing just how little space there was and then buying a sub to match. If it looks too hard, I'll just amp and replace the six speakers and replace the deck down the road.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd especially love to see a pic of the amp/s with measurements. I couldn't find your listed amp to get measurements, but with what you've provided us and assuming they didn't make any modifications to the frame we know the 6.5"s have at least a top mounting depth of 2 1/8 and the 4"s of at least 1 15/16. Anything shorter than that with a simple cone (no protruding +1 extra cone on top) "should" fit as well. I still have to say should, because magnet size hasn't been figured into those measurements.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
ralph_on_me said:
Aww, you can't do the fiberglass yourself? :D

Getting the right enclosure size is the hard part... :cryin:

I was planning on seeing just how little space there was and then buying a sub to match. If it looks too hard, I'll just amp and replace the six speakers and replace the deck down the road.
Sure I can, but I'm not sure I want to just yet. It's funny just how much my priorities have changed over the years. I haven't pulled the dash apart yet, but I'll be looking into going to a single DIN head unit so I can move the climate controls down. That way I free up the location where the climate controls are for three 3-1/16" gauges. If that's not enough, I can fit two more larger gauges where the center vents are. Finding the time and spare change to do it all will be the problem, though :cryin:

I'll get you started with a pic to give you an idea how much room is there. When I pull the dash apart, I'll take pics of what I find there as well.

Keep in mind, when you're looking at these pics, that down at the floor, you have all of the space up to about an inch past where the carpet begins. The trim panel will make the cavity taper a bit toward the top, but doesn't rest flat against the bulkhead except for up at the top. The blurry picture is the backside of the trim panel where you can see the clips and posts they are molded to. That can give an idea of how much room you have to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the photos! I can tell from them that the sub enclosure is definitely something I'll be waiting on. Now that I won't have to take out the seats as you did just to decide that, you've saved me SEVERAL hours of labor. Removing the dash was one of the first things I planned on doing as well, so if you beat me to it I'd love to see those photos. Otherwise I'll definitely be documenting my own steps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill post some pics as soon as I go get my new Digital Camera tonight but just so you guys know the pics are for the guys who ask nicely and not the jerks who ask rudely or imply that I didnt have the system put in and that Im just bull****ting. :rant:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Rocksman said:
Ill post some pics as soon as I go get my new Digital Camera tonight but just so you guys know the pics are for the guys who ask nicely and not the jerks who ask rudely or imply that I didnt have the system put in and that Im just bull****ting. :rant:
Hey Rocksman, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of BS. because I put the word custom in quotes. I mean no offense, if it's what I'm thinking, I say congratulations :cheers: you got an awesome deal! I want to see pics so I can get an idea of how today's pros do these things. Like I said, it's been 10 years since I was an installer.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Hey Rocksman, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of BS. because I put the word custom in quotes. I mean no offense, if it's what I'm thinking, I say congratulations :cheers: you got an awesome deal! I want to see pics so I can get an idea of how today's pros do these things. Like I said, it's been 10 years since I was an installer.
No, he was accusing me.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Rocksman said:
I understand, and I appologize for coming across that way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So is the factory sub a 6 inch dual voice coil type with out a box?

·
Registered
854 Posts
ralph_on_me said:
Thanks for the photos! I can tell from them that the sub enclosure is definitely something I'll be waiting on. Now that I won't have to take out the seats as you did just to decide that, you've saved me SEVERAL hours of labor. Removing the dash was one of the first things I planned on doing as well, so if you beat me to it I'd love to see those photos. Otherwise I'll definitely be documenting my own steps.
can you fit a 8" sub tube in the trunk?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts