Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally ran into a Sol yesterday. A local used car dealer had stopped in for breakfast at the local McD's at the same time I was driving by. As the local troublemaker, you know I had to make my own thread about it. :devil:

Oh looky! My own thread!

First impressions: Wow. The car is beautiful. I know the front fascia has always bugged me, but in real life the fascia is actually really good looking. Even with the plate attached to the front (WV doesn't require this but the guy had it on there anyway!). It has a very sleek/euro look to it, and the car drew a crowd. On the downside, I'm not sure the car is big enough for me. It's definately bigger than a miata, and smaller than a vette. But I was always hoping it would seem closer to the vette, and it definately came off more like the miata. This is certainly just my own preference, so don't take that as bashing. This makes me even more hopeful (fearful?) that the Sky front and rear makes the car look a little bigger. The wheelbase seems fine, it's just the front/rear overhang is ridiculously small on the car, making it look so much smaller than the wheelbase would indicate. Sadly, it was raining so I only got to see it with the top up.

The good: Interior was great. Suspension and frame were a beauty to behold, and is pure performance from gm, second only to the recent vettes. This car is begging for more power. The humps (the lovely lady lumps) add 100% style to the car and I'm glad that they stuck with them. The wheels are beautiful, but obviously chosen for the style/appearance factor. The short shifter was gorgeous and felt nice.

The bad: The hood/facia/fenders exhibited the dreaded uneven spacing. This was not a first 1000 car, apparently, so I'm sad to say it looks like the problem can surface despite the attention it's getting at the factory. The wheelwells were plastic (that's ok) and didn't fit well to the fenders(that's not ok). The ragtop didn't pull off a refined look either. The trunk, as expected, was laughable (not a bash, just an observation). Anybody focused on performance will likely look at different wheels and tires first, as they are absolutely monstrous for a car this size. I LOVE big wheels as a cosmetic factor, so I will probably stay at stock size just because going even one size bigger would actually cross the line into obscenity like a rapper's SUV. If GM wants to pull some better numbers against it's competitiors, this is the first place where I would look to improve performance.

The ugly: That front license plate: :brentil: OMG I feel soooo sorry for the people who have to use one. It's like Danica Patrick walking into a room wearing a bikini and clown nose. Still the best looking performer in the room, but it makes you go WTF?!?! Price. It's actually a good price, but the dealer and the other people were ALL saying how the price should be higher. I vehemently disagree. If this car were priced any higher, people would be choosing other cars over it. At this price, it's unbeatable. At a higher price it would be another example of GM gouging. Yeah, it would still sell but it wouldn't be "a great deal" anymore. It would just be another toy for GM die-hards instead of the consumer attractor that it is now.

Second Impressions: After staring at it for a while, this car needs mo' powa'. Plenty of room for the turbos under there, and by all looks of it, plenty of room for a v6 swap too. There is actually more room than I expected, and the 3800 might go in even with it's supercharger since there is more room from the back of the ecotec to the firewall than I thought there was. It would definately take some ingenuity to get a V8 in there, but I've seen v8's in smaller engine bays. I don't doubt it could be done, but I do wonder about what frame modifications would be necessary on the bigger v8's. The LSx series (and other smaller v8's like the rover v8) would probably fit without frame cutting, but you'd have to purposely design specific exhaust headers to wrap around everything else. Not to mention you'd have to relocate just about every single component under the hood. Not impossible at all, but very intensive.

Overall feelings: Not the car for me, but still an instant classic. After seeing pictures of red Sols, I actually considered them - but not now. I hope the Sky fares better in how it presents it's size to me. I know from experience with the fiero that certain appearance mods can make the car appear bigger, so things like that might be on my list of mods now. I nice cowl hood and whale tail spoiler can make even a fiero look full-size. Everything else is fixable or not important to me. I really hope that they get the front fitment issue under control and maybe improve the ragtop too. If I run into the guy again, I think I'll make an offer to give him free products if he'll make the car available at times for prototype work.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Well, I finally ran into a Sol yesterday. A local used car dealer had stopped in for breakfast at the local McD's at the same time I was driving by. As the local troublemaker, you know I had to make my own thread about it. :devil: ....
Oh, c'mon, Sky' :lol:

You're a pussycat compared to some we've had to deal with :rolleyes: :glol:

Nicely worded, well-thought out and posted review :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
SkyCaptain, remember if the bin was less than 700 then it was one of the pre-production models. The fit and finish on my Solstice is pretty much perfect, except for the amber lights fit and finish on both side of the car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn't get the vin, but I will if I run into him again. I just know he told one of the other admirers that it wasn't one of the first 1000.

EDIT:

He also said he received it on Wed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
... whale tail spoiler can make even a fiero look full-size.
Don't take this the wrong way...but I'm glad you decided to not get a Sol. I can't fathom someone desecrating the beauty of the car by adding a ridiculous spoiler to it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won't take that the wrong way.

I also think that that the smooth lines of the solstice would take something very very very special in the way of spoilers/wings to look even remotely good. The Sky, however, doesn't present that problem. Hence, my conclusion that the Sol is definately not the car for me, even though I dearly love the red sol's...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Local troublemaker? Yeah, you might be. Thats a good thing. You keep us on our toes, with good arguments and well thought out points! We don't always agree, but that is the beauty of discussions. :thumbs:

Thanks for the nice review! It does look shorter than I had expected, but I thought otherwise it has a good bulk to it. The body sits a lot higher than I would expect a car of this size, and it does look plenty wide to me from the front or rear.

I agree to a point on the top too. It's better than the preproduction cars I saw in person, but it is still no BMW top. Not that I expect it to be.

Did he let you sit in it to get a feel for the cabin? It has nice room, but you feel more enclosed than a Fiero. The dash is closer, the footwell isn't as wide. Still fine for me and I am 6'0" but anyone used to a bigger car could feel closed in. Especially with the top up, as the view out the side windows seems confining with the top up too.

Hope the Sky appeals to you a little more visually. I missed it when it was in Buffalo in August, so I cannot really evaluate it's appearance in person, but I suspect the horizontal crease/character line down the door may give it a longer appearance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You say you will stay with the stock wheels, but then say it is not the car for you. Um, you getting a Solstice or not??

You say it couldn't be priced higher because people wouldn't buy it, but yet you say it needs a V-6 or V-8. So, 6 and 8 cylinders cost the same amount as 4 cylinders now?? I'm thinking the price would have to go up there.

Questionable review in some parts, but I love your Danica Patrick analogy!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fformula88 said:
Did he let you sit in it to get a feel for the cabin?
He was letting other people sit in it, and I suppose I could have, but I just reached in to touch the shifter, saw the hood release, and immediately set about inspecting the engine bay... True to my nature, I guess! I wasn't really concerned about my fit because one guy who sat in it was a good bit bigger than me (in a couple of dimensions) and he looked quite comfortable and "proportioned" in there. No worries from me and just from visual inspection the interior looks roomier than the Crossfire I test drove.

You say you will stay with the stock wheels, but then say it is not the car for you. Um, you getting a Solstice or not??
Sky has same size wheels... ;)

You say it couldn't be priced higher because people wouldn't buy it, but yet you say it needs a V-6 or V-8. So, 6 and 8 cylinders cost the same amount as 4 cylinders now?? I'm thinking the price would have to go up there.
Let me introduce myself. ;) Hi, I'm SkyCaptain, and I have a problem. No stock engine is good enough for me. If it came with a v8, I'd be squeezin' in a v12. My price comment was about the stock four cylinder normally aspirated Solstice. I fully realize that mo' powa' equals mo' money. I just hope you realize that I've been here a long time, and every other post is about ripping out the stock engine and putting something else in. It's what I do.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
...Let me introduce myself. ;) Hi, I'm SkyCaptain, and I have a problem. No stock engine is good enough for me. If it came with a v8, I'd be squeezin' in a v12. My price comment was about the stock four cylinder normally aspirated Solstice. I fully realize that mo' powa' equals mo' money. I just hope you realize that I've been here a long time, and every other post is about ripping out the stock engine and putting something else in. It's what I do.
:lol:

Cracks me up... :glol:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
The ugly: That front license plate: :brentil: OMG I feel soooo sorry for the people who have to use one. It's like Danica Patrick walking into a room wearing a bikini and clown nose. Still the best looking performer in the room, but it makes you go WTF?!?!

Thanks for the visual. That made my day.

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Did he let you sit in it to get a feel for the cabin? It has nice room, but you feel more enclosed than a Fiero. The dash is closer, the footwell isn't as wide. Still fine for me and I am 6'0" but anyone used to a bigger car could feel closed in. Especially with the top up, as the view out the side windows seems confining with the top up too.
I love the snug, tucked in feeling of the cabin, especially with the top up. That is one of the strong points of the car for me. It feels very personal, very intimate - like a custom car, or maybe like a space capsule. I love that feeling. I don't like the feeling of being 3-feet behind the dashboard of a rolling cavern.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
From what I see, sure the hood to door gap is larger than the lower front fender to door gap. It can be visually misleading, if it makes you think something is off kilter. But my take is that it has to be there so you don't chip the paint on lower rear corner of hood when it would contact the door on the way up.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My 1145 has better fit and finish than any other G.M. car I have ever seen.

For almost 30 years I hated G.M. that 77 Monte still haunts me to this day.

The 06 Solstice. is unbeatable for the price! PERIOD. Mitch :cool: :devil:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts