Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I'm new to the Solstice forum.
I'm a long time Vette guy that wants to buy a red 2008 or 09 Solstice conv. I'm looking for a excel cond/pristine, low mileage car.
I know the diff between a base Solstice and a GXP. Just wondering what you own and prefer? Have any of you owned both or driven both?
I appreciate your input. Please advise. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Recommendation go GXP.
Search the forum, this has been discussed numerous times.
And only posting once is the best policy.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
FYI: I removed the duplicate thread.

I have one of each, I drive them both, and I enjoy them both. Well, sort of. As you can see from my signature I actually have the more exclusive and clearly superior Sky. :devilish:

Coming from the Corvette world you may be disappointed in the lower power of the NA version, so you should drive one before committing to it. Other than power, the cars are nearly identical, the real difference being the stiffer suspension in the GXP/RL. Most consider the stiffer suspension to be superior, but I am in a very small minority that find it better for public road driving. It is definitely more comfortable, but i also find that the stiffness makes it harder to control the car on less-than-perfect road surfaces and as a rule I actually drive my NA faster.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I recommend that you not rely on whatever a popular vote may turn up as to who likes what. That is irrelevant for you as you are the only one that can say what you, personally, like. Go drive them both before you buy. That's what I did and I expect that most owners probably did the same thing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
FYI: I removed the duplicate thread.

I have one of each, I drive them both, and I enjoy them both. Well, sort of. As you can see from my signature I actually have the more exclusive and clearly superior Sky. :devilish:

Coming from the Corvette world you may be disappointed in the lower power of the NA version, so you should drive one before committing to it. Other than power, the cars are nearly identical, the real difference being the stiffer suspension in the GXP/RL. Most consider the stiffer suspension to be superior, but I am in a very small minority that find it better for public road driving. It is definitely more comfortable, but i also find that the stiffness makes it harder to control the car on less-than-perfect road surfaces and as a rule I actually drive my NA faster.
OT:

I am curious what 'naked' is in a Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked.

and if that means you drive it naked, no pictures please ! - lol

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
OT:

I am curious what 'naked' is in a Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked.

and if that means you drive it naked, no pictures please ! - lol
The Carbon Flash paint was augmented by a silver stripe from the factory. Mine is stripe-less, hence naked. As for the other, I have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
I own a 2015 C7 Z51 and also a 2007 Solstice GXP, plus mine is modified with a large wheel turbo upgrade and the Z0K suspension, plus the braces.
These are different cars, so as it has been said go and drive the GXP, but if you are into Vette power then.......................

·
Registered
74 Posts
While driving my GXP with Trifecta tune i find myself giggling like a schoolboy lol. Dont think id get that way in a NA. IMO the GXP is the only way to go.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Buy the 2.4 if you prefer cruising over performance. Just know that by adding aftermarket chassis braces (front, middle, and rear) that you can still hang w/the GXP in & curves & corners (if you're a good driver). Also, some prefer the cleaner lines of the 2.4 fascia over the GXP fascia. If you want to add performance to the 2.4, you have to either add an aftermarket turbo kit or an aftermarket Rotrex supercharger kit.

Go for the GXP if prefer performance over cruising. And same as above, add the various chassis braces if you want to up the handling of the GXP. The 2.0 is also easy to add significant HP/TQ too by having a performance tune added to it. Originally you could buy a GM tune in order to maintain the warranty, now going aftermarket is not only cheaper but HP/TQ is higher than the factory tune. Not to mention you can go w/a larger turbo. Going to 400HP is the highest number most recommend pushing the OEM engine too, after that using stronger internals is recommended.

We own both models, and enjoy both. However, when I bought the 2.4 it was with the hope that I would be able to put a V8 in it. With retirement within reach I may have to settle with keeping it stock due to a decrease in fun money. Regardless, both models are enjoyable in their own way.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a long time Vette guy that wants to buy a red 2008 or 09 Solstice conv. I'm looking for a excel cond/pristine, low mileage car.
I know the diff between a base Solstice and a GXP. Just wondering what you own and prefer? Have any of you owned both or driven both?
Welcome to the forum!
Where u located?

I've only driven the base 2.4 and I got a good deal on the low mileage 2007 in my avatar so even though I was looking for the Turbo GXP I bought it for the good deal.
I like the N/A 2.4 it's fun to drive if you keep the rpm's up there when u shift.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Heed the advice everyone is giving - drive both before buying.

I am aware of one person that bought before doing that and then drove the other - he ended up selling the car he bought and finding another - probably a fairly expensive mistake (he went from NA to GXP).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think what you're asking for is people's experience with their individual cars, not necessarily a poll on which to buy.
I absolutely agree with everyone here. Just speaking from personal experience, I can tell you the GXP is absolutely dynamite and an AMAZING "bang for your buck".
Got my '07 GXP with everything I wanted on it with 50k miles for just under $10k. Have had it for almost a year now and around the mountain passes here in Washington state, it is the most fun you can have bar none.
Working on them gets a little tricky as my other post regarding changing the balance shaft chain will tell you, but all in all it is a VERY reliable vehicle and is very easy to daily. Truly the "American Miata" :)
Best of luck, keep us posted and definitely include pics when you decide to pull the trigger :-D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much for everyone's reply, thoughts, and info. I appreciate and enjoy all.
Looking forward to more.

I'm in north Jersey, so I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for in the tri-state area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Merlot Red with 12,450 miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have both. 2007 Pontiac Solstice Gxp and a 2007 Saturn sky 2.4. Both are very fun. 1st I would recommend going with a 2007 because they have forged rods instead of powder rods from 2008 up. That is if you are going to go with extra power. I believe the Pontiac is the better car. It has the o-**** handle and the better cockpit. My Pontiac is heavily modded With wilwood brakes KW variant 3 coil over 600 horse power in a cooler Suspension bracing and bored Turbo. Very fast up to 120 but after that it doesn't have as much power as the V8 With my smaller Turbo But it is tons of fun. The 2.4 is my daily driver it keep me from killing myself driving the GXP all the time... I'm thinking about trading my Saturn sky 2.4 for a Pontiac Solstice GXP in the near future so I would recommend going with that 1. I think you will have a lot of fun with this platform because it's much smaller and very numble and lightweight compared to the larger vet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a "mint" condition Solstice GXP Turbo with under 13,000 miles on it. It was my husband's baby...and yes, he babied it. It's always been garaged and under a cover...and not driven in winter months. She's a beautiful little white 2007 convertible...and she's for sale.
Pictures can be seen here...

·
Registered
13 Posts
FOR SALE...
I have a "mint" condition Solstice GXP Turbo with under 13,000 miles on it. It was my husband's baby...and yes, he babied it. It's always been garaged and under a cover...and not driven in winter months. She's a beautiful little white 2007 convertible...and she's for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you very much for everyone's reply, thoughts, and info. I appreciate and enjoy all.
Looking forward to more.

I'm in north Jersey, so I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for in the tri-state area.
I have a 2006 NA. Original owner and going on 220k miles. Love this car. Drive it daily from NY to CT along windy and hilly roads. I’ve never driven the GXP, but I sure wish I had the extra HP at times. Could only make what’s already fun even better, right?

Funny thing is I’ve been thinking what car I’m going to get when the Solstice finally gives out. Since I was a kid I’ve dreamt of getting a ‘vette, like you say you have.
You mentioned you’re in northern NJ? I’m in NY, right on the NJ border by the GSP. More than happy to let you take a spin in mine, provided you can drive stick?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts