Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some info and cost estimates for putting two large stripes on my car when I get it?
I assume I want them painted on and clearcoated over. Is this the best way? I have had vinyl stripes and woodie panels that peeled and cracked after a number of years and don't want this. I am thinking of going with the Dark tarnished silver with lighter silver stripes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you're going to have your stripes painted, then yeah, you want to have them clear coated. If you pick silver for the stripe, you don't have a choice. To do it right, the stripes need to be color sanded to get the hard tape edge off and to knock down any orange peel. If you want a show car look (ie: lots more money), it will take many coats of clear to build up enough to color sand the height difference between base and stripe down to perfectly smooth.

I wouldn't discount vinyl as it now has good UV inhibitors in it and will last almost as long as your paint will. Nice thing about the stickers is you can take them off if you think you made a mistake. Leave them on too long and then take them off and you will still have subtle stripes from the exposed paint fading though.

There have been posts on this site about prototype Solstice spottings on the road, so maybe Pontiac is ahead of you on the stripes. It might be a dealer installed option like on the Mini. I know many people here are interested in stripes, myself included.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tell ya what it depends on how good the paint shop is generally with body or paintshops you get what ya pay for. Now that I have seen yours I want mine in black with silver stipes that match the windshield frame. Yours looks good though I really like the grey with the lighter grey should look sporty and classy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian said:
I also hope that stripes are a factory option. hmm, dark blue car with white stipes. :thumbs
Dark blue with white was my original thought (and photochop), but I didn't know about the white with the silver around the windshield. Maybe blue with silver to match. Besides if it had white stripes i'd want a white top. and that's not gonna happen.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I've seen some GTO's with dealer installed stripes that look pretty good. I don't know of the stripes are an official GM accessory, or just something the dealer did on their own, but they did look good. I assume they are vinal stripes.

The vinyl should be good enough to last a long time too. Its probably not worth the expense to have them painted on, unless you really want that show car look. If in a few years the stripes don't look as good anymore, they can always be replaced too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
waiting said:
Dark blue with white was my original thought (and photochop), but I didn't know about the white with the silver around the windshield. Maybe blue with silver to match. Besides if it had white stripes i'd want a white top. and that's not gonna happen.

ooh, silver stripes that match the windshield, that is a great idea. I can just see it now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bark Blue with white stripes would look good trim it in red about 1in thick all around the silver stipe or stripes and it would look like the 50th Edition ZO6. That would be cool. Or just blue and white I think that would look really good. I have always been partial to a nice light silver with deep red stripes.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I want me some red stripes with small black stripes on the edges on a yellow Solstice. I think it'll look sweet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
With all the people here that want stripes I wonder if GM will have it as a factory option, most likely not, but we can hope

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Exactly, more then likely not. Some dealers might offer after market stuff, but probably not the type of stuff we would want. You're better off getting vinyl made at a custom shop the more expensive way, getting it painted.

Unless you know for certain you're going to love the strips it might be best to do vinyl first so you know you'll like it for sure before getting it permanantly done in paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah vinyl is the way to go I know a guy who's friend does vinyl stuff for cars he can do just about anything I think. He amde some banners for the windsheild for my friend, came out pretty good. I'll prolly have him do my stripes for my car if he still does it. At least with vinyl if you really like it you can peel it off and have it painted on, always better safe then sorry. Yeah that yellow withe red and black stripes sounds sweet.

·
4,592 Posts
waiting said:
Can anyone give me some info and cost estimates for putting two large stripes on my car when I get it?
I assume I want them painted on and clearcoated over. Is this the best way? I have had vinyl stripes and woodie panels that peeled and cracked after a number of years and don't want this. I am thinking of going with the Dark tarnished silver with lighter silver stripes.
noticed this thread never got an answer to how much $$$ for stripes....

Was out cruising tonight, stopped by a mustang dealer. THe 05 mustangs (15 on the lot) all had $5K markup right on the stickers, can you say sucker!

One was white with dark bue stripes, went for a closer look, it said "painted stripes". COST = $4,000.

total sticker for the white/blue one was $31.5K

RODEO

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
When at a custom car show a few years ago, I saw that the graphics on a car were supplied by a sign shop near me. These were huge clear sheets with computer generated motifs in the vinyl covering entire body panels This way there was no edge and might also provide some slight chip protection.

In the example I remember, it looked like there was a hole in the hood and reptilian hands were trying to claw their way out from under the hood. This might be a way to get a look like AzteksRPurty's ride! :)

Will stop by, when I get the time, and find out pricing info on various options, from mundane to ridiculous. Might be cheaper to buy the sheets there and have them installed at a window tinting shop.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Stripe Width

Anyone interested in putting on stripes might want to do some homework first. Most cars in the past that had really nice factory stripe jobs were not the same width front to back. Vipers, Mustangs, and Camaros come to mind and they have slightly different strip width dimensions I believe. I do think that some of this was due to the hardtops width on some of these cars, but it worth checking out first. Since we would need only front fascia, hood, rear deck, and maybe rear fascia stripes (no top) there might not be an issue? Another issue to think about is how wide to make them so they don't overpower the car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
mabrylm said:
Bump

Any idea on pricing of stripes painted on? Who is best to go to for this?
Stripes will cost atleast a grand. Maybe more. You are looking at a fairly invloved process to paint this and then match the clear coat. Tough work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cost

Talking to my buddy who owns a body shop who deals with high level cars only, he stated the charge for stripes would be around 1500.00 to 2000.00 depending upon the color and the size.
He also reminded me of the vinyl option. Most high end body shops deal with someone who does the vinyl which can be removed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The shop I use put two red strips on a black vette, clearcoated, for about $2200. They looked flawless, like from the factory, with a 1/8 inch pinstripe around their edge, etc.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Lee Willis said:
The shop I use put two red strips on a black vette, clearcoated, for about $2200. They looked flawless, like from the factory, with a 1/8 inch pinstripe around their edge, etc.
That sounds about right for a GOOD job. the 1/8 inch adds SO much to the appearance. Good choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts