Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As much as I absolutely love this car I won't be getting one.

I am recently married person, October 4th, and I've known about the Solstice since then but it has taken me this long to come to the realization that I can't get this car because we want to start a family in the next year or so and a 2-seat roadster isn't very practical for a newly formed family. As much as I would like to keep my current car and use the Solstice for trips and fun on the weekends, I don't think I can justify spending the money for it.

Maybe a bright beam of clarity will shine down on my head and a light will go off and I'll be able to get this car but until then the Nomad is looking pretty nice to me at the moment. I just have to pray they make it.

If anyone has any thoughts on how I can overcome this bout of practicallity, PLEASE let me know. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
LIFE IS SHORT AND UNPREDICTABLE. You never know when it will be over. Being practicle is great, but not too rewarding. My wife passed away at a relatively young age, and since then, I have been living my live more for the present, than what I used to. I believe now that a healthy balance between living for the future and living for right now is the key to happiness. Have some enjoyment now...plan to buy the Solstice and keep your current car in good shape for continued use.

Just my two cents worth.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Agree, life is too short but there is a time when family duties call. Only option I can think of is one you already have which is keep existing car going and use Solstice for weekend fun.

On bright side if you wait think how polished car will be in 5 years :cool

·
Registered
57 Posts
i am 25 and just got married this past august...but we are gonna wait a few years for kids.....so i can get the solistce and we have some fun for a few years............what does your wife drive? cant u have one familly car for to drive and one solstice for fun for just u too........another option would be to buy a cheap used familly car like a 2000 mini van for like 8,000 and then lease the solstice for like 250 a month....combined those should cost you like 350 a month which isnt bad at all

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one. Life is uncertain.

Speaking of duty to family, you have a duty to your family to provide a fun life also. :smile

·
Registered
275 Posts
At least in central Florida it is easy to find a low milage car that has depreciated out. For trips, haulage, and group drives we have a 1992 TranSport 3800 that just crossed 100K this year and drives like new.

I always look for the optioned out versions because they are usually not the ones someone struggled to buy and could not afford to maintain. Besides these are the ones that were garaged (easy to tell) and usually not driven very much or very hard.

The key is to decide what you want and then take the time to find it but in a vehicle like the TranSport, there is little retail value today since everyone seems to want a SUV. (Often Avis offers me an upgrade to one (am most favored) but I like a car and not a truck). So well maintained low-milage 92-93 models with 3800/4T60E (about as bulletproof as you can get) are out there and when you find one, is cheap.

Really a better family car and allows you to save for a Solstice.

Of course I do not buy into the need for a new car unless it does something my current herd doesn't. Was thinking about making the Fiero a convertible. This sounds easier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Buy a solstice.

My father had a Porsche 356 when my brother and I were in the "terrible twos". He used to put the car seat in the passenger seat and take us for top down rides whenever we wouldn't stop crying. To this day he swears it was the only way to get us to shut the $%&* up. It also gave mom a break for a while. Everyone was better for it.

Just think, each time the baby is crying you'll have an excuse to go for a ride, and your wife will actually thank you for it. And who knows? Maybe your little one will develop an early appreciation for sports cars.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
21 Posts
I Got The Answer

Like the other guy said about the mini van. When I was in college I had a limited income so i bought a 1989 chevy truck with a 4.3 so i had a practical car to drive, it was only 4000. After i bought that i bought a camaro ss. There are two sides to being practicle.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I would only assume you and your wife each drive a car. Why not have one car for family hauling duties and one car for commuting/fun/everything else. There really is no good reason to have two sensible family cars. My parents always went this route, my mother with a sedan or minivan, my father with a 2 seater. No big deal at all. Go for the Solstice before you get old and decide having a convertable is "just too windy!" :smile

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man, it sucks that you cannot get a solstice, but I guess if I were in your shoes, a used RX-8 would be the car of choice. You could probably find a used base model for about the same price as a solstice. It may not be a convertible or a 2 seater roadster, but it is a sports car. ...and you might be able to convince the wife it is a family-friendly sedan.

-Whit

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Try to make consessions to your wife. Even though it sounds like she wants kids right now and maybe you want to wait a while, I'm sure you both want kids, and lets face it, the woman does most all the hard work with child rearing. It's just going to chafe her hide to see you driving off to work everyday in a brand new bad ass, girl magnetic, too cool for words, sportscar while she's stuck with the crappy old mini van.

I don't know what you can offer her, but maybe there's something you can get for her to make the thought of you riding around in Solstice a little easier. If finances are a concern then I would suggest buying a good used Miata or something like that for now and then latter, when she's more used to the idea of you in your sportscar and sees your commitment to the family, then go get a Solstice or Nomad. Besides, mceb is right, in the years to come the Solstice is only going to get better! :thumbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not too windy for this grandma!

Fformula88 said:
Go for the Solstice before you get old and decide having a convertable is "just too windy!" :smile
:cheers
I certainly will! :smile I've been waiting for years for my kids to grow up and leave home so that I could afford the car of my dreams. The time for being practical is over and now its my turn for some fun. My kids are in their 20's now and I have a bunch of grandkids as well, but that's not going to keep this grandma from letting down my waist length hair and driving with the top down!!! I have a looooong way to go before I'm too old to consider this car "too windy"! :smile
I'll bet my grandkids will be begging for rides!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good for you Willow. I'll be looking for you on the road. If I'm lucky, we will be able to recognise each other by both being in a Solstice on the beautiful roads of northern Michigan in the summer. :thumbs

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never expected this much of a response from the community! Thanks everyone :cheers

All the points/ideas that everyone brought up are great. But the truth of the matter is that I (and my wife) will not be ready for a new car until spring of 2006 at the soonest. And when you think about it, between now and then alot can happen and change. Hell, I might hit the lottery and then I wouldn't have to worry about it at all!

I guess my point is that as of right now I love this car and when the time comes, if I can get it, I will! If not, I'll get something else and drool at all the Solstices I see on the street. Why make a BFD about it now and put the cart before the horse?!

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
27 Posts
GMCsierra2002,
Have some great roads up in Leelanau Co. Nice and curvey, hilly, and scenic. I love it up here. The drive up to the Big Mac is nice also. Have always wanted an open roadster to drive these roads. Hoping the Solstice will be the ticket. If not, then I don't know what I'll do; maybe a used vette.

MIke

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
There's also some great roads in the Irish Hills area, and around and about Dexter/Ann Arbor, and up into and around Hell. Roads get a bit straight heading west (in MI, farm country), but Traverse City has some great 2-laners.

Regarding the car: My advice (only worth what you pay for it, or less, so keep in mind) is get the car if you can afford it. It's true, life is unpredictable and usually I fall on the side of "eat the dessert first", but I've never done it if it gets me into financial trouble.

If you can get the Solstice as a secondary car and it won't kill your budget, go 4 it. If you'll have to start skipping meals and stuff, and need to drive this car year 'round, then your "descretionary income is insufficient to support such an amenity". Hows that for non-directional, non-committal advice?

If you do get it, your downside risk is probably on the realm of $6500-$10000 over two or three years. Assuming you can buy it and own it for MSRP, and pay cash. If not, add your interest to the downside. [Buy it for $20000, after three years assume 50% of MSRP for a GM car is what you can get back out of it. Assuming anything more increases risk, especially for an unknown such as a new car].

If this makes you queasy, (that's about $275/month), then you probably can't afford it.

The biggest point: Never, especially when you are counting on maybe a family in the future, never rely on a 2-seat convertible with little or no luggage space as your primary, one-and-only, 4 season car. As stated before, life is unpredictable, and even the best birth control methods are only 99.6% effective. :smile

·
Registered
27 Posts
Always take care of the family first, but never let go of your fun dreams. I agree, get the Solstice as a second car if you can afford it.

Yes, the Irish Hills area is great. I'm sure there are other areas also. I just can't hardly wait to drive my Solstice, top down, on a warm late Spring day from Traverse City to the Big Mac bridge, using the roads all along Lake Michigan. And then to cruise west along US 2 for a number of miles overlooking the lake. Would be nice to have the car by the time the car show happens in St. Ignace.

Mike

PS...Hey Detroit, Hey GM, did you see what I wrote? St Ignace car show next June...PLEASE HAVE THE SOLSTICE OUT AND TO ME BY THEN.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts