Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this stunning Weismann Roadster MF3. The car was reviewed in the latest EVO magazine. Click the link below and click on "Roadster" in the headings.

http://www.wiesmann-auto-sport.de/eindex.htm

I love the Solstice but this German car is PERFECT. Not really jealous as it costs 4 times a Solstice. You get alot of pizzaz at those price levels. The beauty of the Solstice is the beauty you get for a bargain. Just to rub a little salt in the wound, check the "rear" pictures and see what they show fits in the trunk!

Man, Mazda really dropped the ball when they could have made the new UMCSC something like this. If they had, it would have been bye, bye Pontiac and HELLO MAZDA!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Other than the silly "vorpal bunny teeth" grill, I like the solstice much better (althought that car certainly sounds great). Of course, I'm a Sky guy, so take it as my $.02 and nothing more.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I prefer the Solstice actually. The Weismann is nice, but I'm really not trying to recapture old Jag/MG/Triumph memories. I'm not really looking for a "British" roadster. It's nice though.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks definitely are personal preference, and I just love the looks. But the kicker is, I'll have a car that is nearly as gorgeous and for $40,000 less! I know I won't be jealous of anything else out there when I'm behind the wheel of my Sol.

Did anyone else notice that blue & ivory interior of the Weismann was reminiscent of the Sol's grey/tan 2-tone. Classic is classic. (Even the steering wheel has the classic "Pontiac bulge". :lol: )

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
jimbo said:
Looks definitely are personal preference, and I just love the looks. But the kicker is, I'll have a car that is nearly as gorgeous and for $40,000 less! I know I won't be jealous of anything else out there when I'm behind the wheel of my Sol.

Did anyone else notice that blue & ivory interior of the Weismann was reminiscent of the Sol's grey/tan 2-tone. Classic is classic. (Even the steering wheel has the classic "Pontiac bulge". :lol: )
Look further in to the site, Jimbo, a 2000 km used Weissman from September is 107500 Euros which as of today is 144000 USD + not to mention its not USDOT certified and would cost probably 75k more to do that. Now, if they could build the chassis without drivetrain and ship it here for us to finish off, AND do it for under 15k like Superformance from South Africa or the Beck Syper, but hey, we've got the Solstice, and if you want to put your own BMW inline 6 in it you can still do that for under 35k

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My purpose for posting the link to this car was primarily to show that beautiful modern cars can still be styled if the will is there. I realize most cars with stunning looks are very expensive. But the Solstice shows that it can be done. Who was it that said that the biggest cost is bending the metal so why not bend it into a beautiful shape rather than a plain or ugly one? I am so frustrated that the Miata can't be gorgeous. I'm frustrated with the homely look of the new BMWs.

Where is the will to style cars beautifully, while still distinct? At least Weismann gets it - it CAN be done. And at least Lutz gets it with the Solstice and Sky. A person may not like the look of them - it is a subjective thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but is not so subjective as you might think. There are universal rules such as symmetry that apply. You rarely see an assymetrical front or rear end, short of maybe an offset air intake.

Beauty is not so subjective after all. There are men who think bald women look beautiful, but the vast majority of men think women with long hair look the most beautiful. Car designers would do well to look into automotive history and revive the universally praised styles and styling elements. The challenge of course is to interpret those styles in a modern way while staying true to history. When you try to re-invent the wheel, like is being done with the new UMCSC (typed Miata at first) and the Banglebeemers, odds are you will far miss the mark.

The worst you can say of Jaguars and Astons is that you've seen the look somewhere before, but nobody calls them "ugly". I would like to see more Hondas, Toyotas, Fords and Chevys that look like Jags and Astons.

Or put another way, there is absolutely NO reason the new UMCSC could not have looked VERY similar to the Weissmann Roadster shown at the link in this thread. NO reason.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The Weissmann, indeed is stunning. It is an excellent interpretation of a classic almost 60 year old design. One of my favorites of all time. But it still has a retrovessness (my new word for the day) look to it, sort of like the new tbird. The Aston-Martin DB9 and the Jaguar S carry forward traditional styles with a little more panache. You won't mistake them for a kit car nor would you mistake them for anything but brand new. A modern interpretation of the Mercedes 300SL form 1955 would be more than welcome. Now, on the other hand, take almost any quality copy of the original AC Ace as brought to us by that famous chili-cooker and you've got me drooling all over the keyboard. And to think back in 1969 there was a mold and jig available for a few hundred bucks... I see now that AC is getting into the mix with their own rolling chassis, ready to be implanted with the engine of your choosing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts