Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had a really bad freezing rain episode and I went to crank my car to melt it all and the engine is seized, I tried to turn it via the crank pulley and i can't budge it. Any ideas what might be happening?

On a related note, I just finished rebuilding the timing/balancing system as well as the water pump (Anti-freeze is in the car) and I did leave the wiper cover loose, so water could come down the windshield and onto the back of the motor, is there anything that could be iced over back there that would prevent the engine from turning?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Did you pull the plugs before you tried to crank it over ,have you tried to start it since the maintenance work ,also how old is your battery ? Start with the basics battery ,grounds ,any electrical connections you may have unplugged if the car was running before this problem it will not lock up overnight .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i did not pull the plugs but the crank pulley did not budge at all, like NO give, not that compression was resisting me. Yes, it has run just fine for the most part since the work. Battery is brand new. The starter solenoid would clearly engage and the lights would dim indicating a lot of juice is flowing, I even added a jump starter to the fray. I don't drive the car very often as it needs an inspection and some small issues fixed.

Update:
After putting a hairdryer on the bell housing/motor for an hour or so and after a few more crank attempts, it broke loose and almost made me rear end my other car. Apparently the clutch was also frozen because it wouldn't disengage, it's idling in neutral now. I really wonder how it froze over so bad that it seized the motor. Bell housing seal leak?

As I said, the cover for the windshield/wipers is not secured down, so the water does drip down onto the top of the back of the motor but I find it hard to believe that ice would keep get on anything that would physically stick the motor.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
I don't think that the bell housing is actually sealed, so water from the back of the engine could get into the flywheel/clutch area and turn the whole thing into a block of ice. That would explain it not turning over as well as the clutch not disengaging.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Like John said, the bell housing is not sealed and water could have gotten in around the starter pinion and into the clutch and flywheel area. although most of the water would drain out the bottom of the bell housing, it wouldn't take much water to freeze everything up. Fortunately, there is nothing in there the water will hurt and once the car is running, any water still there will quickly evaporate. Also, there is no way water from the bell housing can get past the shaft seals and into the engine or transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts