Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Solstice willl be primarily a weekend or week-long vacation cruiser. Since it'll only store a small workout bag (1.4 cu. ft.), the lack of luggage-handling capacity will be a significant challenge.

Other than the option of stopping each evening only at motels near laundro-mats (in order to wash the clothes you're wearing, so they'll be clean for the next day.....ha ha), I'm look for solutions.

My thought would be to purchase/customize one of the luggage/storage trailers used by the Harley and Honda riders, with quick-connect hitch engineered to mount to the rear chassis.

I'm new to the Forum, and wonder if anyone else has addressed this challenge, or come up with viable options.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome. Yes the small trunk has been a favorite topic 'round here ;)

Being creative is good. We've heard from some people that there is some room under the folded down top, you have to lift up the top a little to access the space under. Hopefully that's a little "bonus" not included in the 1.4CF measurement (probably not).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Figure out which hotels you'll be stopping at.
Mail clean clothes to each hotel before you leave.
Mail dirty stuff home from each hotel.
Have several great smelling packages waiting for you when you get home.

Just kidding of course...kinda. I know a couple that rides their Goldwing about a thousand miles to a friend's house each summer, stay for a week with several day-trips while there, and then drive back. They do mail a large package before they leave and mail it back before the return trip, carrying just enough clothing for the travel on the bike. Seems to work for them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can always ditch your S.O., would free up the whole passenger area for luggage. :thumbs: Luckily I can stuff enough clothes in backpack (regular Jansport type school backpack) to last about 5 days. And my girl is low maintenance enough to do about the same. Probably could throw her hair stuff in the trunk with my backpack and her backpack up in the passenger foot well.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Chris said:
Reminds me of when my kids were little and the last thing you did before leaving on a long vacation was have them use the toilet. That changed to the last thing you did was make sure they flushed. :lol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Drex said:
...my girl is low maintenance...
I didn't know they came that way :willy:

Good find :thumbs:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chris said:
My wife and I have a dream vacation like this, but with one slight variation. You have to stop each day and buy your clothes for the next day. You then donate your dirty clothes to Goodwill. No laundry, no luggage, no worries. :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Luggage rack

Pontiac will be offering a luggage rack and weather-proof duffle for the Solstice. Although it kinda ruins the lines of the SOL, I think it's a good option for long trips (I plan to get one). Especially if you're considering a TRAILER! :eek: YIKES!!

Sorry - I just picture this hot little Sol towing a trailer straight out of Beverly Hillbillies complete with Grand-maw in her rocker! :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I recall, the Plymouth Prowler could be had with a trailer. I know I saw pictures of them and assumed that it was a dealer accessory or Plymouth option.

Someone he remember that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
idahobob said:
My Solstice willl be primarily a weekend or week-long vacation cruiser...
I wanted the Solstice to have more room for travelling, too but alas, this clearly is not going to be a good car for that. There's already a mature market for removable racks for modern small roadsters, though. Undoubtably, the Solstice will have some kind of carrier someday, either from Pontiac or someone else, e.g. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/roadtrunracc.html

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Simple solution, become a minimalist!

I think the Zen Buddist approach will work. Less is more. It is what "Pure Roadsters" are all about. What makes them adorable, delightful, sexy etc. is simply that they are purely impractical in every sense of the word. They are not the Swiss Army knife of vehicles that so many of our vehicles try to be. Their sole purpose is to bring the driver pleasure from driving them.

Much of the trunk space discussion, lamenting even, reflects the fact that many are not willing to let go of their stuff long enough to enjoy the pure roadster experience.

If you want a Grand Touring car get a Jag XK8, it has a trunk and a back seat for more storage space or two sets of golf clubs.

If you want to have blast going nowhere in particular, long a winding road, then you've come to the right forum.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...ugh smelly

tmpafford said:
My wife and I have a dream vacation like this, but with one slight variation. You have to stop each day and buy your clothes for the next day. You then donate your dirty clothes to Goodwill. No laundry, no luggage, no worries. :lol:
Goodwill still wants them washed before you donate. :leaving:

G

·
Have you ever seen just how much stuff you can put into the space of a golf bag? You should be able to make weekend trips just fine.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Another storage area to take into consideration is the space behind the seats for people of less stature. We hear that those topping out at 6' to 6'4" can ride comfortably in the Solstice.

I'm only 5'5", so I figure I will be pushing the seat forward by several inches. I will definitely make use of this space for small objects. I'm hoping to fit a small tote bag that would hold toiletries and such for an overnight trip. Then more flexible things like clothing can go into soft duffle bags which can be manipulated to make maximum use of the nooks and crannies in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts