Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gents,
Let me apologize ahead of time for the newb question, but I need help identifying which flywheel I need. I'm putting the LNF/LDK in a kit car with an aftermarket transmission and throw-out bearing.

I received these pictures form Aasco. It shows their two ecotec flywheels that might be what I need. As best we can tell the two designs have the same pressure plate interface dimensions, but clearly one is thicker than the other (probably for a dual mass flywheel replacement).

P/N and description from their website:
- Left = 101217-11: '07-09 Solstice/Sky 2.0L
- Right = 101218-11: '08-09 Cobalt 2.0L turbocharged

So, which one is the right one? Is it that the cobalt has a single mass flywheel and the solstice/sky use a dual mass flywheel? Is there any reason the cobalt flywheel could not be used in a RWD application?

Thanks,
Daniel

*edit* DOH, I forgot to attach the pictures....but it looks like the forum won't let me. So, go here: http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/identify-flywheel-316512/#post7513001

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, for everyone's information I've more or less answered my own question.

The Solstice/Sky use a dual mass flywheel which is why it's thicker (flywheel on left of picture). The cobalt (FWD applications) does not.

Both of them will bolt to an LNF/LDK so I have the freedom to choose one.

For those of you using lightened flywheels, have you experienced any ill effects by eliminating the dual mass stocker?

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, for everyone's information I've more or less answered my own question.

The Solstice/Sky use a dual mass flywheel which is why it's thicker (flywheel on left of picture). The cobalt (FWD applications) does not.

Both of them will bolt to an LNF/LDK so I have the freedom to choose one.

For those of you using lightened flywheels, have you experienced any ill effects by eliminating the dual mass stocker?

Thanks,
Daniel
Thanks, TurboWood.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I have a Spec aluminum flywheel on my LE5. Revs a up and down a bit faster (better throttle response), haven't noticed any bad side effects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts