Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already read the articles on diffs: Usual noise, going to drain and replace diff fluid. How do I tell if its a limited slip diff? Will using the limited slip additive hurt if its not a limited slip dif? thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you jack the rear end up, put it in nuetral and spin one of the rear wheels. if both rear wheels spin the same way, it is LSD, if they spin opposite way, it is open diff

·
Registered
263 Posts
when does that not work? just out of curioisity?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Open the glove box and look for the RPO code "G80". If G80 is on the list you have a limited slip.

Another way, go to Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder and enter your full VIN into the blank space and then see if G80 is on the resulting list.
Thank you for your help Dave, did as you suggested and it was LS like your way too Rock. thanks again,,,, Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont know, all the dealer would tell me was that the recall has been done. Is there anything to look at underneath that will tell me for sure? part number on the diff maybe? It is surely still an 06 unit, it has the clunk.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mine does not have the g80 option either, i had LSD installed when the diff was replaced as part of the pinion seal recall

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Every time I have done the tire spinning test it has worked as advertised.:thumbs:
And I'll bet that you routinely check it just to make sure it hasn't gone away on you, right? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts