Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to speculate on this thought...

Perhaps deliveries are "lagging" (certainly true for the people waiting for a car) for business purposes, i.e. Pontiac or GM are purposely dribbling the cars out to let the employee discount and end-of-model year hoopla run its course.

Think about it. It might not actually be wise to bring out any (or a lot of) '06 models until the '05's are played out.

Further, movie "openings" are plotted out in advance, blockbusters try PURPOSELY to open without another blockbuster up against them the same weekend. I couldn't help but notice all the press the new Miata got last month, perhaps the publicity push is sort of scheduled for next month (or rescheduled, given what we know of production). If that's the case, or even a concern, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone at Pontiac said, "They'll have to wait a couple of more weeks..."

After all, they HAD to schedule the Apprentice thing to run in the spring, shows like that don't run in the summer. So it seemed too early to us. The release of 001 (Yes, I was there) probably WAS premature if any of this is true.

This wouldn't really be a crime on their part...

...if they are pretty certain that releasing a new car could squelch sales on last year's cars... (sounds reasonable, doesn't it?)

...if they "know" from past experience that they want 4 or 5 hundred new models out the week the magazines hit the stands...

Almost couldn't blame them.

As for me I'll try to remain patient (after all, I do get one of the first 1000 released to the public), and if the fit takes me I'll drive up 95 again and go stare at my car awhile.

This is kind of like being a kid at Christmas!

Backstage

·
Registered
182 Posts
Backstage said:

Perhaps deliveries are "lagging" (certainly true for the people waiting for a car) for business purposes, i.e. Pontiac or GM are purposely dribbling the cars out to let the employee discount and end-of-model year hoopla run its course.

Think about it. It might not actually be wise to bring out any (or a lot of) '06 models until the '05's are played out.

Further, movie "openings" are plotted out in advance, blockbusters try PURPOSELY to open without another blockbuster up against them the same weekend. I couldn't help but notice all the press the new Miata got last month, perhaps the publicity push is sort of scheduled for next month (or rescheduled, given what we know of production). If that's the case, or even a concern, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone at Pontiac said, "They'll have to wait a couple of more weeks..."

After all, they HAD to schedule the Apprentice thing to run in the spring, shows like that don't run in the summer. So it seemed too early to us. The release of 001 (Yes, I was there) probably WAS premature if any of this is true.

This wouldn't really be a crime on their part...

...if they are pretty certain that releasing a new car could squelch sales on last year's cars... (sounds reasonable, doesn't it?)

...if they "know" from past experience that they want 4 or 5 hundred new models out the week the magazines hit the stands...

Almost couldn't blame them.

As for me I'll try to remain patient (after all, I do get one of the first 1000 released to the public), and if the fit takes me I'll drive up 95 again and go stare at my car awhile.

This is kind of like being a kid at Christmas!

Backstage

No I dont think so

·
Registered
535 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
No I dont think so
:agree:

Saturn is running ads already for their 2006 models but say they will only offer the discounts on the 2005s. So I don't think your theory is likely!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Since the Solstice is a 2006 low volume car and is not likely to steal any sales form any 2005's left because they already have 10,000 orders for Solstices, I don't think there is any substance to what your saying...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My Pontiac dealer already has some 06's. G6 coupe for sure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Other information

There is a comment on another thread that they have had problems with the hydroforming process getting the metal wet and the paint not sticking to it properly. They are believed to be holding some of the cars to see if a paint problem arises from the error. Not my information - just passing it on.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Backstage said:
Pontiac or GM are purposely dribbling the cars out to let the employee discount and end-of-model year hoopla run its course.
Every Solstice headed to a dealer right now is already sold, so it wouldn't have any impact on present sales promotions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
GMS...DNA :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
With GM And Ford's debt just reduced to Junk Status, I think we are going to see exmployee type prices for awhile. I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Backstage said:

Perhaps deliveries are "lagging" (certainly true for the people waiting for a car) for business purposes, i.e. Pontiac or GM are purposely dribbling the cars out to let the employee discount end....Backstage
GMS...DNA :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
brian carpenter said:
There is a comment on another thread that they have had problems with the hydroforming process getting the metal wet and the paint not sticking to it properly. They are believed to be holding some of the cars to see if a paint problem arises from the error. Not my information - just passing it on.
Actually...wasn't that meant as a joke?

·
Registered
81 Posts
GM is extending the Employee Discount to 2006 models. The key wording here is "select" 06 models, meaning they probably won't offer it on high demand cars like the Solstice...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9073430/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Classic66vair said:
Since the Solstice is a 2006 low volume car and is not likely to steal any sales form any 2005's left because they already have 10,000 orders for Solstices, I don't think there is any substance to what your saying...
Yeah, I don't see a lot of people walking the lot and pulling on their chins thinking, "should I get the Bonneville today or wait until the Solstice arrives? Hmmmm..."

·
Registered
192 Posts
No Way

Sorry, Backstage, I am not buying it.
As stated a few replys before mine, GM just came out with and extended Employee Discount on select models only and ours is not one of them. Also, if people were to look at that program very carefully, the employee discount program is not really any better than the past incentives program.
They have some problems and they are trying to fix them before we all get our cars. That I commend them for doing so, as I would hate to spend my precious time at the dealer for warrantee work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts