Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're bored. IF GM made a Supercharger for the Solstice through GM Performance parts what would you...
  • Expect GM to create? (the kit we would actually buy)
  • Want GM to create? (a realistic kit you'd hope for)
  • Wish GM would create? (your dream kit)
Also how much would you think/expect to pay for these kits, and what type of power outputs?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1) More then likely if GM Performance parts releases a Supercharger for the Solstice it'll be the same kit as what's going to be offered for the 2.2L ECOTEC that was just announced with some slight changes. Fairly low boost, 6-8 PSI producing 200-220HP at the flywheel. It'll more then likely cost what the 2.2L ECOTEC kit will sell for, which is will probably be about what the 2.4L Sunfire/Cavalier kit sells for, ~$2000. No intercooler, and no specific tunning.

2) Same kit as bove but with a pully sized to produce enough PSI to generate 250 HP at the flywheel. Air-to-Liquid or Air-to-Air intercooler to keep the boosted air from causing knock. Increased fuel rail and fuel injectors for the higher requirments. Tuned ECU management, either by piggy back, replacement, or reprogramming. Boost gauge for the A-pillar with gauge pod. I'd expect a kit like that to run $3000-$3500.

3) Some sort of all out performance package. Same as #2 above, but with increased fuel pump, modified pistons for lowering the compression to allow higher boost, a pully sized to produce boost to make 300+ HP, some engine strengthening parts (gaskets, bolts, etc), intercooler sprayer, high octane mode switch (like the Neon SRT-4 MOPAR upgrade package). I'd expect a kit like this to easily sell for $5000+.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself, Brentil. I'd answer these questions, but my answers would end up being pretty much exactly what you've stated.

For the ultimate "you're crazy" dream tho, I'd maybe wish for GM to give one to Lingnefelter Performance Engineering (the king is dead, long live the king). I'd want LPE to breathe on an LS-2 and stuff that into a Solstice, add some sidepipes, and create a modern day Cobra-type roadster.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i would think for a bolt- on, factory warranty supercharger that we would be looking at a package similar to what is offered for the cavalier/sunfire. i don't think gm would go much beyond mild boost without beefing up the bottom end and shortening the stroke a bit.
still, a mild boost could work well with this car- a little extra go that comes on low would make a fun ride even better.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think you basically hit on what we all would like to see. It all may not be that far fetched either. GM has been running 1000 HP Ecotecs around the Salt Flats setting speed records. So they obviously have engineered some racing spec parts that hold up at really large power outputs. Some of this engineering could easily be translated into performance parts to beef up a stock production ecotec motor. As with anything, cost of the kit would likely determine whether they make it. They will have to keep everything relatively affordable. If they can, look out!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Anyone care to guess, when they offer a higher performance engine, what the displacement will be? De-stroke 2.4 to 2.2 for lower compression? Transform the existing 2.0 for RWD application? :confused

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DreamerDave said:
Anyone care to guess, when they offer a higher performance engine, what the displacement will be? De-stroke 2.4 to 2.2 for lower compression? Transform the existing 2.0 for RWD application? :confused
We've actually had this discussion a couple times. The best we can do is speculate though. With current information the most logical method is just using the current 2.0L Supercharged ECOTEC from the Cobalt SS/Red Line. However there might be information we don't know about. We also know there existed a 2.2L Supercharged ECOTEC in the Solstice Concept which could be the normal 2.2L ECOTEC engine or a destroked 2.4L VVT engine. Also there's been talk of Turbocharging which could use any of the previously mentioned engine setups.

My main issue with buying a normal Solstice then getting a GM Performance Parts Supercharger is the fact that more then likely it wont be intercooled. I would pretty much 100% want whatever forced induction setup I have to be intercooled. But I want a Solstice and I want it now, so I'm very afraid I'm going to have to break my forced induction morals and get a non boosted engine and hope for a kit that will more then likely not be intercooled.

Bah, this is just too damn much speculation and hopping. I really hope we get some solid info in the next couple of months.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I went back and looked it up. I forgot the MSRP on the 2.4L Supercharger kit is actually $2,895.00. However you can find a couple places online that sell it for $2000 though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Supercharger Yes

I am just wondering how much HP the Chassis can really take in Road racing apps and in drag racing apps.
250 HP in a Solsist on the street sounds like fun.
Sounds like the Solstice is going to be a aftermarket Gold mine.

I hope GM reads this Web site. They sure didn't listen to the Conversation with the GTO.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
With as stout as the underpinnings look, there's no reason the platform can't take in excess of 300 hp. If anything, I think the clutch assembly or transaxle are going to be the weak points... maybe the halfshafts. Without actually getting one to evaluate, it's hard to say what it'll be able to take, or what kinds of modifications will be necessary to keep it together. It may be necessary to beef up the mounting points for the differential unit, trans casing, or even the motor mounts, for instance. As for the main structure though, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with it twisting, even though it is a convertible. It has hydroformed frame rails and a beefy boxed in central tunnel.

As for GM listening to the public concerns about the new GTO, I think we'll see big improvements to the GTO in coming years. For the time being, I'm of the opinion that it wasn't such a travesty to bring a Holden Monaro over and rebadge it as a GTO with some modifications. That got a V8 RWD platform into the lineup to fill the F-body void. The bigger sin was committed by all of the dealerships that slapped rediculous markups on them!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn’t worry too much about how much power the Kappa platform is going to be able to handle. The base Solstice is the starting point of this chassis architecture, and the 170 HP engine is likely to be the least powerful engine this chassis ever sees (unless they decide to do an economy coupe with the 2.2L Ecotec). At any rate, GM has engineered the chassis to handle more powerful engines in the future so it is flexible enough for future products. They plan to do a bunch of niche vehicles on the platform, and with that they will need to add HP to some models.

The chassis uses hyrdroformed frame rails, with an enclosed central tunnel for bracing. It’s the same type of construction used on the Corvette coupe and convertible’s platform. Its an extremely stout setup, and certainly will not be the weak point for adding power. Other components may be weak points, but they can be dealt with as needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
2KWK4U said:
With as stout as the underpinnings look, there's no reason the platform can't take in excess of 300 hp. If anything, I think the clutch assembly or transaxle are going to be the weak points... maybe the halfshafts. Without actually getting one to evaluate, it's hard to say what it'll be able to take, or what kinds of modifications will be necessary to keep it together. It may be necessary to beef up the mounting points for the differential unit, trans casing, or even the motor mounts, for instance. As for the main structure though, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with it twisting, even though it is a convertible. It has hydroformed frame rails and a beefy boxed in central tunnel.

As for GM listening to the public concerns about the new GTO, I think we'll see big improvements to the GTO in coming years. For the time being, I'm of the opinion that it wasn't such a travesty to bring a Holden Monaro over and rebadge it as a GTO with some modifications. That got a V8 RWD platform into the lineup to fill the F-body void. The bigger sin was committed by all of the dealerships that slapped rediculous markups on them!

isn't the GTO going to be coming out on a new platform in a few years? i read that somewhere, and maybe that's why they are holding off on serious addon's for it. although i don't know much about the gto except the fact that i would take one in a heartbeat, it seems logical that they have it here to fill the void as stated, but may have some serious plans for it in the future. at least i hope so, GM would be smart to go that route, but then again, will probobly be well behind as the charger will be coming out and will probobly see aftermarket support with the SRT-8 version. GM seems to be staying one step or more behind...

·
Registered
352 Posts
This one works for me:

2) Same kit as bove but with a pully sized to produce enough PSI to generate 250 HP at the flywheel. Air-to-Liquid or Air-to-Air intercooler to keep the boosted air from causing knock. Increased fuel rail and fuel injectors for the higher requirments. Tuned ECU management, either by piggy back, replacement, or reprogramming. Boost gauge for the A-pillar with gauge pod. I'd expect a kit like that to run $3000-$3500.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Vita said:
isn't the GTO going to be coming out on a new platform in a few years? i read that somewhere, and maybe that's why they are holding off on serious addon's for it. although i don't know much about the gto except the fact that i would take one in a heartbeat, it seems logical that they have it here to fill the void as stated, but may have some serious plans for it in the future. at least i hope so, GM would be smart to go that route, but then again, will probobly be well behind as the charger will be coming out and will probobly see aftermarket support with the SRT-8 version. GM seems to be staying one step or more behind...
GM is introducing a new GTO in the 2007 time frame. Now that could mean a 2007 model year late in 2006, or more likely a 2008 model year in 2007.

Holden is developing the all new Zeta platform, which will underpin the GTO as well as numerous other vehicles, including one rumor stating it will also underpin a new Camaro, possibly a Buick, and more than likely other versions.

The new platform will allow GM to give GTO a distinct body instead of basically making it a badge engineered Manaro. So they can make it a retro-ish vehicle if they so chose. I have seen some indications it will not be a retro vehicle, but I have no reason to think the source of that information is credible.

North American Zeta vehicles will also be built in North America and no longer imported from Australia (Australian versions will be built in Australia).

Finally, one other intriguing aspect is that the Zeta platform is being designed to accept AWD as well as RWD. I know there could easily be debate on the merits of awd in a muscle coupe such as a GTO, but I think it would be a fantastic feature (based on my residence in a rather snowy city!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts