Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..when would I get the car?

I've held off because I'd prefer to find out what other people think of the totally brand new car before I go buying one for myself, but the response seems overwhelmingly positive so now I'm legitimately interested.

What I'm not interested in is paying over MSRP. Have those of you that've gotten your cars had to pay over MSRP?

From the sound of it, they won't even finish the current orders until early next year?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I have heard most people say April/May at the earliest. However, there are several people trying to sell theirs at MSRP (at least they say) or not much over MSRP. Check the "for sale" part of the forum and you might a Sol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow May.. that'd be ironic that I'd have to wait 3 months longer than the people that ordered initially.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I do not know which people you are speaking of, because most of the "initial" orders (1st 1K) have received their Sols (or they are in transport.

However, the line is pushing about 45 per shift out (2 shifts a day) per gmlinedog ... so the Sols will begin to come alot faster. This MY Sol is a first run production, so in the beginning they had a few issues. They should be pumping around 1800 out a month now, which is right around their previous 20,000 a year statement.

In other words April might sound close (compared to the 1st 1K pace), but there shoul be over 12,000 Sols produced by then.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Start calling dealerships.

Ask a few questions:
  1. How many cars did you have in your first 4 month allocation?
  2. How many people do you have on your waiting list?
  3. Will you sell at MSRP?
To get a list of dealerships near you, hit the Pontiac.com web site. You'll have to call a lot of dealerships to find a reasonable spot. Also, DON'T stop with just one, get at least 2, preferably 3 that sound promising. When you show up, if your skin crawls, just leave and go to the next.

Also consider ordering from another dealer (even out of state) and having it shipped into your local dealership (if they seem trustworthy).

Now for the bad news: GM seems to be expecting the first Model Year production to reach about 18000, and they've got VOM orders in their system for 15000 so far. That's almost the entire first year's production.

If you want a 2006 Solstice, your time to order is rapidly running out.

Delivery should be in late Spring of 2006 (May or June) unless you find a dealership with very few folks already on their waiting list, and a few of their 2nd 4 month allocation units not already spoken for.

Contact Small Dealer , GTOJ , or 2KWK4U for answers as to how to set up this drop shipment to a local dealer.

When you do place your deposit, send along a deposit agreement something like this:
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you make the purchase. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Crimson is right. Your delivery date will depend upon which dealer you choose. Some already have long wait lists and others do not. Your best chance may be to find a large dealer in a warm, convertible, climate. Rumor has it they are receiving a higher allocation of cars. Like Crimson said, call the dealers and ask those 3 questions. Make sure you speak with the sales manager and not the standard sales weasels. The standard weasels don't normally have this information.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi first post here for me
This past tuesday a local dealer took an order from me for one of the 2 cars in his first allocation. I have a sales contract stipulating MSRP. I also was able to order the car exactly as I want it. I have a copy of the dealers order to GM for the car with a Vehicle Order Number. The dealer also has told me that I am first on his list for delivery. The order was placed in the system on Sept 13th. So what do you all think how long? I was doing fine until the dealer told me that btw we're going to assign your order our #1 priority. My original intent was to get a Solstice in the spring now I'm now like a kid in a candy store full of anticipation. How long will it take to get a first allocation car that was ordered 13 sept ?? If nothing else it will be interesting to track

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
z3404 said:
Hi first post here for me
How long will it take to get a first allocation car that was ordered 13 sept ?? If nothing else it will be interesting to track
Welcome to the forum. See CA's post above. Conceivably it will take until spring for Pontiac to work through all the firm orders in the system for both the first and second 4 month allocations, which if Spetember is considered the first of the first 4 month as far as productiion and delivery then the end of the second 4 month period would be April of 2006. At that point they will either have continued with a third allocation for 2006 models, or have decided to start 2007's in May. As the initial allocation periods were probably pegged to an earlier time slot with the slower start of production everything has been delayed a little. Keep in mind that at the point of intro of 2007 Sky that the Solstice will also change over to 2007 model year.

Now the short answer. Since all first allocations should be built before second I would guess that all first allocations will be built by 12/31 so expect your car in mid January. Dealers with larger allocation numbers may in fact get all their first allocations prior to a much smaller dealer getting any. This is called "turn and earn" and if you search the forum you will find a reference to it.

Have your dealer track your codes on aweekly or biweekly basis. If they don't know how to do this there are some knowledgable and helpful dealers here that will give you the particulars. Don't be a pest as they only get an update once a week and it is not automatically delivered to them, they have to download it, Thursday, I thinnk but could be wrong - think of it as having email but not looking at it for a week.

Most of all, her at this forum there is only a short list of rules.

Keep it real.
Leave trolling to the residentt troll (rodeo)
No flames.
Have fun.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Pick ups are half way through First allocation

We are on about the third month of the first four month allocation. So orders picked up in the next two months should put all of the FFMonth allocation in the build queue and represents at best guess 1000 plus another 6000 cars. If Pontiac has 13,000 orders then at best only 7000 will be built and delivered by the end of Dec 2005.

Second four month allocation, if another 6000 cars, would equal all orders currently in hand and would be delivered Jan-April. So if all things were fair, any car ordered from now on would be delivered in May of next year.

BUT as the folks responding herein above have pointed out, the allocation system doesn't work this way. If you can find a dealer with a first allocation car available, you could get a car before December. If you can find a second allocation car, you would see it in the Jan-April 06 timeframe.

So you really do need to shop around to a dealer with allocaton available. No point getting in line at a dealer who isn't getting enough allocated cars to fill the queue he already has.

Hope this helps. Small Dealer should be able to tell us when dealers become aware of the cars they have for the next two four-month allocations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. I grabbed the 25 closest pontiac dealers off of pontiac.com so I'll give them a ring and see where that leads.

·
4,592 Posts
achieftain said:
Most of all, her at this forum there is only a short list of rules.

Keep it real.
Leave trolling to the residentt troll (rodeo)
No flames.
Have fun.
RODEO likes those rules........... :devil:

·
Registered
278 Posts
hmm, i wonder... could i order and buy a car in arizona, and register it to my california address? i bet i could get it through financeing cheaper not having the taxes and such associated with living in california. think that would work? conversely could i use moms address in arizona and transfer everything later?

·
Registered
164 Posts
tednelson83 said:
hmm, i wonder... could i order and buy a car in arizona, and register it to my california address? i bet i could get it through financeing cheaper not having the taxes and such associated with living in california. think that would work? conversely could i use moms address in arizona and transfer everything later?
I think you can get California Smog equipment in a neighboring state sale...but even if you do, you'll be nicked for CA sales taxes eventually. CA authorities are aware sales taxes in CA are higher than in neighboring states (Oregon has no sales tax). Unless you are in the military or an out of state student, California will eventually collect the sales tax & require you to register it in CA--with a major penalty to boot. If you don't have CA smog, add more bucks to get it to spec. The CHP looks for this sort of thing. Believe it...I'm in the military and I'm forever educating CHiPs about the exemption for my vehicles. Check out this website: http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called a bunch of dealers.. can't say it went well. I asked one if I could place an order and he thought I meant for a 2007, because the 2006 allotment is gone.

May is starting to sound quite optimistic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts