Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

If it weren't for bad luck.....well you know the rest.

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LatinVenom 
#1 · (Edited)
Doesn't look like I'll be driving my Solstice anytime soon, and it has nothin' to do with GM and their slow delivery system. I do not expect it before mid November, but if It came in today, the best I could do would be t get my wife to chauffeur me around in it.

Last Sunday night I took a slight tumble that should left me with mere scrapes. Unfortunately for me my wrist took the full brunt of the fall. Had I broken my wrist, I would have been very lucky. As you see from the title of this thread, no broken bones. I landed on a sharp metal edge which severed both arteries in the wrist, the nerve that supplies feeling to the palm and finger tips, and all the flexor tendons to my right(say it with me, "manual transmission") hand.

My first thought while watching the blood flow out of wound was, "I don't think I'll be able to shift gears with that thing." :) My perspective has changed a little in the 5 days since the fall. I know it could have been worse. With two open arteries it would have been easy to bleed out. Without blood flow to the hand I could have lost it altogether. Maybe some see it as "lucky" that the worse case scenarios didn't happen. Me? Well, I've always been "the glass is half empty" kinda guy. :lol: Anyway before I get into to much of a self pity rant, I just want to say, everyone who has their cars enjoy the crap out of 'em and those that don't, quit complaining they'll get here. In the end that little beauty called Solstice is still just a car. Be happy ya got all the body parts drive one. :)

Oh yeah. The Doc says it may take a year or more to have functioning hand. I should have written this yesterday it was a "the glass is half full" day.

P.S. Please reserve all pity for my wife. After all she's the one who is going to have to put up with a "one-handed" SOB for the better part of the coming year. :lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude, screw it, chop of yer hand. there are prothetics that hook into special gear shift knobs, and you can always learn to write with your left hand...and you can probably get a disablity check to over the note for the solstice...if you decide to get rid of the hand, i will give you top dollar for it.

#3 ·
May need to move to off topic forum

toby said:
Dude, screw it, chop of yer hand. there are prothetics that hook into special gear shift knobs, and you can always learn to write with your left hand...and you can probably get a disablity check to over the note for the solstice...if you decide to get rid of the hand, i will give you top dollar for it.
Let me think about it awhile............................NO
:lol:

Toby, Any tips on handling the pain? Looks like might have an inside track on the pain thing. :)

#6 ·
deluke said:
Sorry about the accident, it's a bummer.
Thanks Deluke. Hope you get to drive your Sol be fore your surgery. :cool:

#7 ·
toby said:
:lol: :lol: that was extremely funny.

proud to say, i'm putting in for an automatic. perfect for any wrist injury. ;) they'll be made for january so i hope to have it by june.

#8 ·
achieftain said:
ouch, that automatic needs to be released real soon.
Well at this point even an automatic would be pretty difficult to drive. ;)

#9 ·
Sydney,

All is not lost as each cloud has a silver lining.

Take delivery of the car. Contact a firm that will install adaptive controls to your Solstice. Some of this cost may be covered by your Medical or Medicare. Your Doc should have some leads.

Now, get a handicapped tag and enjoy the reserved parking.

#10 ·
OUCH! That sounds a LOT worse than merely trying to sever a finger with a power tool! :eek:

Fortunately, the nerves are big enough to operate on down in the wrist. I'm sure you'll make good friends with several surgeons over the next year or two. heck, you';ll probably even end up paying for a lot of gas for their yachts and planes (via your insurance company!) :lol:

Good luck with the recovery!

#11 ·
Sydney said:
My first thought while watching the blood flow out of wound was, "I don't think I'll be able to shift gears with that thing." :)
Spoken like a true car nut! :lol:

That is a really STRANGE injury for just taking a spill. Here is hoping and praying for your full recovery. We want you shifting at some point, even if it will take a little while to get there. Take care.

#13 ·
I would agree an automatic for the forseeable future maybe the way to go, you could always trade to a stick shift once you have recovered, good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.